cut off your nose to spite your face

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut off your nose to spite your face

Is the war in Iraq lost?

I recently saw a thread that alludes to the contrary.

Are statements like "the war in Iraq has been lost" accurate statements?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:58 AM
So, if people like Harry Reid manage to convince enough of us that the war is in fact lost, and we vote a democrat into office, and they bring the troops home without completing the mission, then what?

If Iraq is going to be compared to Vietnam, then we can surmise that when our troops are removed that there will be a blood bath in Iraq. We are a compationate people, but I guess not that compationate.

What do we do here at home? If the war is in fact lost, than we basicly surrender to terrorists. I would guess that they will believe that they can easily intimidate us, because we have show them that intimidation will work in their favor.

Do we close our borders? Will that keep the terrorists out. Keep them from doing suicide attacks here in our country? What about the terrorists that are already here? How can we keep them from killing us? What about the terrorists that were born and bred here? How do we keep them from killing us? Are we going to add protecting us from terrorists to the many duties of law enforcement?

We have our military. If they are pulled out of Iraq, than they can defend us here at home, right? Instead of driving tanks and humvees in the cities and villages of Iraq, they can try to root out terrorists here, in our own cities and towns. Is that what we want? We aren't ok with our military in Iraq, but we'd be ok with them here, right?

We are confident that we will not be attacked here at home? We are confident that if there is an attack, that home grown militias, or cults, or gangs, or thugs wont take advantage of the situation for their own gain? We are confident that the criminal element that exsists here in this country will not seek gains given the opportunity, as a result of a terrorist act?

I realize that there is opposition to the war. I'm sorry though, I think that comments like these from the democrat majority leader are very short sighted. There are long term implications to what ever happens. I think that this method of convincing Americans that the war is lost and cannot be won is absolute wrong way to go, and is a good way to promote civil unrest here in our own country.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
People like that dont give a damn about the consequences, and ultimately their country. They are willing to cause a great deal of long term damage to achieve their own selfish short term goals.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM
What an evil president we have. The senate has passed a perfectly good bill, even though there is a surrender date, and the president will likely veto it.

The certian failure of our efforts in Iraq will rest squarely on the sholders of the president, not the democrat party that has gone to great lengths to undermine the athority of him and to undermine the effectiveness of our military forces.

It might appear that it's the spineless democrats in congress that are inviting the terrorists here, to our home, to fight, but if you believe this, than you are a sheep who has been brainwashed by the Bush/Cheney propaganda machine. You're a half wit, brain dead, illiterate,,did I say half wit?......

We ARE going to lose this "war on terror". The democrats have assured us of that fact. They need the seats in congress, and the worse the war, the more seats they gain.

Barak Hussein Obama in '08!

Bush had better veto this bill! How about letting the military win?!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM
What would "Victory" in Iraq look like? I mean the kind of victory we could pack up our stuff and leave. How long will this take?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen Victory.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by BHibbs
What would "Victory" in Iraq look like? I mean the kind of victory we could pack up our stuff and leave. How long will this take?
You're a pretty smart guy, right? Then you know that we won't ever "leave".

"Victory" (not a word that I would choose to use in this situation) would be getting the upper hand. To be able to thwart terrorists around the world. To be safe from terrorists attacks in our own country, while trying our dambdest to do the same for the rest of the world. We can't stop terrorists completely, and remain free. We can contain them though. We can isolate them. We can expose them for their barbarack, hypocritical ways. We can keep them from killing thousands of us.

It amazes me that people opposed to the war on terror, demanding that the troops be brought home, can't see that if we surrender now the threat to us here at home increases ten fold.

It's been my experiance that even if things get tough and seem like there is no way through, if I just keep working at it, I will succeede. I'm not one to give up in the middle of something because it seems too hard to finish.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
I want Hillary to win the D primary and then it'll be an "in the bag" race for Giulianni to be #44 (is 44 right?)

...I wouldnt mind leaving Iraq now, it'd be a lot cheaper. Then taxes could go down & would could blame the Democratic Congress for being unreasonable when it came to the deadline (once Iraq falls apart eventually bringing the rest of the Mid East with it)
The man's own children and family don't like him, they know him better than any of us could possibly ever know the man. I dont think we'd be well off with his pompus *** in office. Sorry. I think Hillary is only running because good ole' Bill found a loop hole to the current standards of how many terms he can serve.

I agree that it'd be a dumb move to pull out all at once but what are we going to do keep troops over there forever?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
You folks NEED to get serious (if you aren't already) about preserving our Second Ammendment rights and go out and get yourself a concealed handgun license (CHL) or whatever your state allows.

Whether we win in Iraq or not terrorism is here to stay and they are already etablished within our borders, either waiting for their orders or the "opportune" moment to strike.

In addition to fighting fires for 22 years I've been a cop (arson investigator) for almost 13 now and we get bulletins/warnings all the time about the kind of stuff that would have the general sheeple in a foaming at the mouth panic. I carry pretty much everywhere and I ALWAYS have a knife on me.

Don't believe the BS. Cities/states with stringent anti-gun laws typically have HIGHER rates of violence. Also, while major police organizations & heads of depts. may come out in support of stricter gun laws, I can assure you that I _do_not_know one deputy out of our entire SO (approx. 125) that support stricter gun laws. Simply, the guys in the street do not agree with the Unions/lobbyists & chiefs with "aspirations."

FWIW, I support the troops & hope we can & do "win in Iraq." Three buddies & an uncle made it back so far, one didn't... Got another uncle over there now, he better make it back too!

In memory of Lance Cpl. Lance T. Graham "Die Strong!"

Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
For me, if we want to win, we need to put many, many more boots on the ground. AND fight fire with fire. The insurgency plays dirty in Iraq, so let's play dirty right back. I'm sure our elite groups within each branch of service could come up with some nasty homemade stuff, given the proper equipment.

That said, Bush either needs to put up or shut up. I really don't recall the President being able to declare war on his own. Not that the Congress would cut off funds to our people in uniform, they do have that within their power since they, and only they, have the authority to declare war. And don't give me "well it's not really a war we're fighting". We've got people in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places we probably don't know about. It's war.

Cliffs: We either get in there and fight fire with fire, or we start to think about , confidentially, a way to make our fighting forces into a police training force for Iraq.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
For me, if we want to win, we need to put many, many more boots on the ground. AND fight fire with fire. The insurgency plays dirty in Iraq, so let's play dirty right back. I'm sure our elite groups within each branch of service could come up with some nasty homemade stuff, given the proper equipment.
The servicemen I know that have made it back have said exactly that. MANY MORE men and free reign to fight combatants. No more hands tied behind their backs BS... reminiscent of Vietnam anyone?

Originally Posted by BigTRQ
That said, Bush either needs to put up or shut up. I really don't recall the President being able to declare war on his own.
Actually the Prez. can, for 180 days (maybe only 90?) isn't it? Then Congress has to ratify.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Talking

Im not against the war but I see the war in Iraq and the hunt for Osama is another Veitnam. But ultimately, we will win.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Suspended
I say we focus more efforts over here, what about the Southern border? Trying to tell all of those Mexicans, no don't come over here, is like trying to tell a 8 week old puppy not to pee on the carpet. Just like local government here in Florida. We're getting hammered with property taxes and insurance rates and no one wants to do it. We've been hearing about these plans that they're coming up with for months and we still have nothing other than a band-aid fix plan. . We've got a lot of work to do over here, everyone should be able to agree. Our country is fairly new when you look at the whole scheme of things. Whatever we do though, we lose. We go over to the Middle-East, people protest it. We don't go over there, we're horrible people for not trying to help them out. I say we just say F you to everyone else and worry about our own. .

PS: txarsoncop; I'll be getting my weapon permit and concealed weapons as soon as I turn of age. I'm making my girlfriend do so as well. I feel the same way as you.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Thumbs up

Smart move Thump!

I just got into a Springfield XD45 a couple of months ago & I love it! It's a _bit_ big for concealed carry though & I was VERY disappointed to see that their "compact" .45 was only marginally smaller than the 4" model I bought. Although, technically the 4" model is already somewhat compact. They consider the tactical 5" model the "fullsize." I was hoping for a sub-compact.

My primary sidearm was a Sig P220 prior to the XD. I still really like the Sig, it's a great weapon. BUT, it's heavy and the barrel axis is higher so it kicks a bit more. Plus the XD holds 13+1 versus 8+1.

Sorry for the thread jackage...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Suspended
I'm planning on getting the XD45 as my primary shooter.

Quick Reply: cut off your nose to spite your face