Dane Cook: WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dane Cook: WTF?

OK, if you know me, then you know I take my comedy, seriously...

I've been hearing this guys name ( Dane Cook )thrown around a lot. I was flipping through my ON DEMAND selections last Thursday night, and looked at comedy, and after hearing how "hilarious" this guy was suppose to be, spotting his 90-minute show made me prepare myself to be amused...

This guy walks into the arena (That's right, Arena) and the audience was as alive as if Bruce Springsteen was singing, "Born in the USA" on the 4th of July... I'm thinking, "Damn, this guy must be the schyt!"

Well, he finally got started once the crowd calmed down.
I kept waiting for him to get funny, but the whole while I felt like I was sitting there waiting for my son stumble through his punchlines to tell his joke.

I mean, in my book, DANE COOK = Un-Funny.
After about 45 minutes, I realized the schyt wasn't going to get any better, so I turned it off, and watched something on A&E.

Perhaps I'm being judgemental, but when I hear as much about a comedian I've never heard of before, I expect the SOB to be funny. I'm easily amused, and this dude was NOT funny. I mean, I laughed during the movie Titanic, so that tells you I am easily amused... (Tell me that wasn't funny when dude was yelling as he fell, then he hit that propeller, and was instantly quieted, and spinning on down to the water... ) I'm sorry, that was funny...

Dane was not funny. Can someone tell me what this guy has done, said that had an arena packed to witness a farking one-man comedy show?

Jerry Seinfeld (I can understand)
Chris Rock (Maybe... A theater yes, Madison Square Garden, probably not)
The Blue Collar Comedy Tour (Yes)
The Kings of Comedy Tour (Yes)
Dennis Miller
George Carlin
Bill Maher
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy
Richard Pryor
Cedric The Entertainer
Bernie Mac

With the kind of fanfare this guy got, I thought he was going to put them all to shame. He didn't even come close...

Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
He must have a great agent/PR machine...

I will admit to not having seen his standup yet. I have seen his name bandied about on the "entertainment" shows (which is usually an indicator of a PR machine).

BTW: The part of Titanic that got me were the bodies flying down the deck... Kind of looked like a Pachinko game...

Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I dont find him funny either.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I saw him live, I think hes got some funny lines, but every show is kinda the same act... if that makes sense.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Really? I saw him at U Del last year and was laughin the whole time.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Funny how we all see things. I find DC funny as hell. And of the peeps on your list, this is how the D-jury finds them:

Jerry Seinfeld (I can understand) - I agree.
Chris Rock (Maybe... A theater yes, Madison Square Garden, probably not) - Funny as charged
The Blue Collar Comedy Tour - Should be locked up for thinking they are funny when they are NOT.
The Kings of Comedy Tour -Eh, not bad.
Dennis Miller - Eh, whatever.
George Carlin - Funny for the first half hour
Bill Maher - Freaking snob pushing his political adgenda.
Dave Chappelle - Comic genius
Eddie Murphy - Funny
Richard Pryor - Overrated
Cedric The Entertainer - Funny in movies
Bernie Mac - He's growing on me.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Anyone seen waiting yet?

Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
DO NOT SEE WAITING BEFORE EATING...we did that, had awesome conversation as we stared at our food suspiciously.

I like the "Dane Train"...some of his stuff isnt as awesome other other bits, but what comedian always tells gut-busters?

I agree with D on Blue Collar, some of that stuff is just stupid as hell. Larry the Cable Guy, wow, not funny in the least bit

There "Here's your sign" guy, Jeff "You might be a redneck" Foxworthy, and Larry "The Cable Guy" were OK. Larry was the funniest of those three. But, the Johnny Cash looking dude, had me laughing...
__________________________________________________ ____

Richard Pryor was the comedian that really turned Stand up from the typical set up, punchline routine, into one of story telling, and misdirection (Get's you looking one way, the the punchline comes from a different direction).

The thing with my picks, I admit, Bill Maher is funny, but only in small doses. I love his show (Politically Incorrect) a lot more than his stand-up routine. His constant political bashing (whether I agree or not) gets old after a while.

Dennis Miller: Those who aren't up on current events, or of limited vocabulary understanding, will not find Miller funny.

George Carlin: This guy's way of looking at things is funny. I like a lot of his stuff, but his parts about hand-washing, and tree-huggers really had me in stitches.

Eddie Murphy: Lost his edge, but was funny in Delirious (1983) and Raw (1987).

Dave Chappelle: Unique way of looking at things makes him funny. His show was funny, and I saw his last two stand-ups. He has never been funnier than he was when he was on Def Comedy Jam, circa 1993.

There are more out there, some of the guys I hear on XM Comedy (150) have me in stitches.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
His latest HBO special (Vicious Circle) isn't that funny. You need to listen to his Retaliation CD. It is hilarious.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Two words: Rodney Carrington

Old 09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Two words: Rodney Carrington
Did you watch his TV show, Rodney? That was quality TV

Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Never saw it, but he is coming to STL in a few weeks, so I'm gonna have to buy some tickets Hersh, you'd like his song "(certain female body parts) and Beer"

Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Bill Engval (here's your sign), he is so NOT funny. It was painful to listen to him. Funny is Jon Stewart and Jim Carey in stand up. Love Dave Chappell. That guy is great. I thought Larry the Cable Guy was okay.

Richard Genny (I don't know how to spell it) he is funny.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
what about the classic Robin Williams live on broadway, I thought that was a great show.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
the great "Dane",,, not funny at all. the audience was work up on his arrival, they couldn't wait to laugh,, at anything. Larry is funny as always, Larry David, that is, and he still has his 453million sein-dollars to prove it

Quick Reply: Dane Cook: WTF?