Dearborn Truck Plant Parking

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dearborn Truck Plant Parking

This is an interesting story in light of Ford's recent announced plant closings and the resulting layoffs. Apparently, if you work there, they expect you to drive one of their products. You can still drive something else, just not park it in their lot. Wonder if it will do anything to help their bottom line.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/27/news...glot/index.htm

Fordophile

Old 01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me, The UAW makes sure that Ford must pay the employee, the least Ford can do is let them know that buying other companies products doesn't sit well with them. It's seems kind of one way the Ford must keep the employee and the employee is free not to keep the company product. I know it's the employees free choice,however the company is also free to set policy! IMHO it's about time!

Old 01-29-2006, 03:37 PM
General Discussion????

Old 01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to: 2 days ago... This is old news and is already posted in General Discussion.

Last edited by kd4crs; 01-29-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:53 PM
I say it's a free country and that is kind of crossing the line making someone drive a certain vehicle. At least they are allowing non Ford drivers to park in another lot but sheesh...I say its the person's own choice what they drive. God bless the USA.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by d0n_3d
I say it's a free country and that is kind of crossing the line making someone drive a certain vehicle. At least they are allowing non Ford drivers to park in another lot but sheesh...I say its the person's own choice what they drive. God bless the USA.
C'mon guys.....read the freaking article.

No one is making anyone drive or buy anything.

Please stop this nonsense.

Ford has the right to assign parking spots.

If you drive a Ford, you are rewarded with a spot up front, where anybody driving by can see Fords in the parking lot. (imagine that)

If you want to drive something else, that's fine, as it's your right to drive whatever you want. Just don't expect a premium parking spot, up front.

It doesn't look good for the Ford image, to have a parking lot full of the competitors product.

This makes perfect sense, and I applaud Ford for doing it.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
C'mon guys.....read the freaking article.

No one is making anyone drive or buy anything.

Please stop this nonsense.

Ford has the right to assign parking spots.

If you drive a Ford, you are rewarded with a spot up front, where anybody driving by can see Fords in the parking lot. (imagine that)

If you want to drive something else, that's fine, as it's your right to drive whatever you want. Just don't expect a premium parking spot, up front.

It doesn't look good for the Ford image, to have a parking lot full of the competitors product.

This makes perfect sense, and I applaud Ford for doing it.

Very well said.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Well Ford its about time you starting doing this. I have been saying this for years.Drive what you want but if you want to park in the factory lot drive your brand.I know people who work for Budwieser and got fired for drinking a Miller with thier uniform on.It like the chef who never eats in the resturant he works doesn't look good for his company.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
At the Norfolk Assembly Plant where I work there is a Import lot for all foreign cars. You have to park there if you don't drive a Ford product or UAW built vehicle. Its not bad though cause its just as close as the domestic lot is.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:53 PM
This shows a weakness, pathetic at best. They need to reward there own employees for buying what they produce? thats sad. Ford is insulting itself.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:04 PM
That's the best thing I have heard in a while!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were several imports, and other manufacturers models in the "Salaried" parking lot at the Ford Plant I retired from last year. It actually sickened me that Salairied/Management empolyees would even drive one of the competitions vehicles...Everyday when I pulled into that lot I wanted to puke..
But to make matters even worse, all the UAW Officals ( President,Skilled Trades Rep., and Committemen) had a special place that they parked right outside the main lobby doors. There was one of these @ssclowns that had been an elected official for over 20 years who bragged that the new Chevrolet Pick Up that he bought every year and parked in this "Special" area was paid for by the money he got from Ford by filing and winning grievences from the Company..Not even the Plant Manager, who knew of this clowns boasting would do anything about it...

Old 01-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
There were several imports, and other manufacturers models in the "Salaried" parking lot at the Ford Plant I retired from last year. It actually sickened me that Salairied/Management empolyees would even drive one of the competitions vehicles...Everyday when I pulled into that lot I wanted to puke..
But to make matters even worse, all the UAW Officals ( President,Skilled Trades Rep., and Committemen) had a special place that they parked right outside the main lobby doors. There was one of these @ssclowns that had been an elected official for over 20 years who bragged that the new Chevrolet Pick Up that he bought every year and parked in this "Special" area was paid for by the money he got from Ford by filing and winning grievences from the Company..Not even the Plant Manager, who knew of this clowns boasting would do anything about it...
Another example of the Union supporting (not) the worker. They are just a bunch of bloodsuckers screwing the hand that feeds them

Old 01-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Why not reward people for helping you (& themselves) out?
I miss-spoke.

What I meant was that it is ridiculous that ford needs to provide an incentive for something the worker should already want to do, buy what he has produced. If they need an incentive to desire their own workmanship, it must not live up to their own desires. To me this is pathetic, Ford is acknowledging it's own demise.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
i would do everything in my power to make sure that union rep was not re-elected.

one thing that needs to be considered is the layout of said parking lots. if i recall right the main lot is actually pretty small. and considering there right next door to Wayne assembly(focus) there is a ford owned lot across the main road for overflow. the media likes to blow thing out of perportion. they are not the only plant doing this, they just happened to implement this at a time that Ford is in the public eye. the plant i worked at before transfering to Flatrock implemented this almost a year ago. and i have heard of several other plants that have similer policies including other automakers.

nothing new

8 simple words to live by

I WORK FOR FORD, I BUY A FORD.

Last edited by RDY2RAC; 01-29-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Dearborn Truck Plant Parking