Water heater went kerblooie!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water heater went kerblooie!

Woke up yesterday morning and was walking past the "furnace" room when I heard a "hissing" noise. Well, the HW heater was emitting steam near the bottom and spraying water out the top.

Quick ride to Home Depot and an hour for install and back in business.

I was real lucky to catch this when I did, even with a drain pan, there could have been a lot of damage if this happened when nobody was home.

BTW, the unit was 40 gal, nat gas and less than 10yrs old(A.O. Smith)

If you have an older unit and especially if it's in part of the house that can cause a lot of damage if it lets loose(mine is on the second floor) then you may want to consider changing it before it goes as from what I've seen these things don't usually give an early warning. This only cost me about $300.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever replace the sacraficial anode? If not, that is probably why it went out after only 10 yrs. They should be relaced about every 2-3 year, depending on your water. The anode corrodes before your tank, until it is all gone. Then the tank corrodes. Keep replacing the anode, and there is very little corrosion on the tank.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Did you ever replace the sacraficial anode? If not, that is probably why it went out after only 10 yrs. They should be relaced about every 2-3 year, depending on your water. The anode corrodes before your tank, until it is all gone. Then the tank corrodes. Keep replacing the anode, and there is very little corrosion on the tank.

I honestly don't believe it was. I doubt many people actually change it though. Probably about as many people that drain some water out once every month or so. Sounds like a good idea. We'll actually be moving shortly, so I want to go with a tankless unit anyway(see my seperate post)

Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I got a question about this Anode. It's the first time I've ever heard of it honestly. I did a web search and found info about it and I understand the concept. Anyway, question is, where would it be located? What I found talks about it going in thru the top of the tank and I see nothing on the top of my tank. There's electric, hot and cold water and that's it.

Mines a 80 gal Kenmore 12 year rotoswirl self cleaning unit if that means anything.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 AM
On mine it's at the top. There are four connections on the top: pressure relief, water in and out and one that has a pipe plug in it which is the anode.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn;t know about it either unitl about 2 weeks ago they did a thing on "Ask This Old House" and the people we having trouble with dirty hot water. They drained the tank but ended up replacing it. The one that helped them took thier old one and did a cut away. That was thier problem too. Mines 8 years old and starting to fill up. I drain it annually but I bet that's what happened to mine too.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:11 AM
But you are extremely lucky.
My neighbor across the road last year he came home after a long weekend and found that his had actually exploded while away. He lives in an earth berm home like mine. So the concrete walls acted like a large swimming pool. It was over $30K of water damage to a $100K home. Thank goodness for insurance.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by ViperGrendal
I got a question about this Anode. It's the first time I've ever heard of it honestly. I did a web search and found info about it and I understand the concept. Anyway, question is, where would it be located? What I found talks about it going in thru the top of the tank and I see nothing on the top of my tank. There's electric, hot and cold water and that's it.

Mines a 80 gal Kenmore 12 year rotoswirl self cleaning unit if that means anything.
On mine, a Ruud, there is a little plastic plug on top. If you pop this out you will see what looks like a bolt head. If may even be covered by insulation. There are multiple types of anodes. To replace mine, due to being in a closet with lack of head room, I purchased a segemented rod. It is segments of sacraficial material that is connected by cable between so that it is flexible. If you have enough room, yo can get a solid one. Not sure what the metal is, but depending on the application, could be different. Outboard motors use the same principle. They have small fins on the lower unit that are used to adjust steering, sort of like an alignment, and are also sacraficial anodes. For brackish or salt water I believe they are usually magnesium. I think for fresh water, they would use iron, as the motor is aluminum. This would corrode faster than the aluminum.

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-29-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Are you talking about the trim tab on the outboard?
I dont have one on my inboard it has a place for one. I didn't know that was a second use for it. I run in fresh water and it is only in or around the water when I am using it. But that's still nice to know.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Are you talking about the trim tab on the outboard?
I dont have one on my inboard it has a place for one. I didn't know that was a second use for it. I run in fresh water and it is only in or around the water when I am using it. But that's still nice to know.
Yep, the trim tab. For the life of me I couldn't think of that term when I was writing the message.
As you have an inboard, you may have an anode some place else. Many have them attached to the hull. Looks like a flat bar bolted to the hull.
Here's a search at BoatUS. All kind of anodes.

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...18&image1.y=16

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-29-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread but have anyone seen or used a electric tankless water heater? I am going to replace mine and was thinking about getting one.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by MTpint
Not to hijack the thread but have anyone seen or used a electric tankless water heater? I am going to replace mine and was thinking about getting one.
They probably make them, but I'm not sure they would have the heating capability of gas. In a tank, gas heat recovers much quicker than electric.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:15 PM
MT there is another thread just a few spots down from this one about them.

Tankless hot water heaters

Kingfish, I sure didn't know that's what those were for. Always thought it was just for going straight. My hull is fiberglass so I doubt it has one on the hull. Mines just a round plate with a tab that bolts to a spot right above the prop. Or atleast that's where it's suppose to be. Guess I have a second reason for needing to get one now.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
MT there is another thread just a few spots down from this one about them.

Tankless hot water heaters

Kingfish, I sure didn't know that's what those were for. Always thought it was just for going straight. My hull is fiberglass so I doubt it has one on the hull. Mines just a round plate with a tab that bolts to a spot right above the prop. Or atleast that's where it's suppose to be. Guess I have a second reason for needing to get one now.
Check the type you of metal you need also. Different metals for different types of water. I remember watching a Ship Shape TV show on nothing but anodes a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember which metals were used for what type of water.
I wouldn't be surprised if your boat has something somewhere for this. Just a matter of finding it. That round plate if unpainted may be your anode. An anode would always be unpainted no matter what material.

Edit - Just did a little searching on the internet. As far as I can tell.

Slat water - Zinc anode
Fresh Water - Magnesium anode

Just because it is fresh water doesn't mean you don't need one. This protects against galvanic corrosion.

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-29-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Yea all the ones on everyone elses boats are always unpainted.
I think the inboards use the same as an outboard. This would defintaly explain some things to me. The boat is a 76 I have had it one season. It had not been used for 5 years when I got it and only once or twice a year prior to that. I had it out atleast every other weekend last summer and am experincing some white rust on the lower unit that wasn't there prior. Rather thick for the time spent, around the gear selector tab on the lower unit. I'll call my marina and have them send me one when they open tuesday.

Now I have to go search to find out if there is one for my Jet Ski I just bought last week. Then if so, see if it has one on it or if I need to order it too.
All this money and it's not even season yet.

Quick Reply: Water heater went kerblooie!