Is resale better on an Automatic than a Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is resale better on an Automatic than a Stick?

I dont mean the value, but if I am selling a manual car, do you think it may take a little longer to sell... (less people know how to/want to drive stick) Or is it depending on the car?
I am looking at a winter car and I wanted 5 speed. But the dealership brought up a good point. They only had an auto, that may be why, but they said 5 speed may loose a little value in resale... Any truth to that? I am thinking about a 5 speed Jeep Wrangler you'd think I can get away with getting it in manual and finding a buyer if needed right?
Thanks, Shane

Old 11-14-2003, 03:49 PM
If it ain't Ford, it's resale value plummets down ever day

No j/k

Old 11-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't really go by what the 'lying sack of *****" dealers say, because they are lying, cheating, swindlers.

For example, suppose you have a Jeep YJ with an auto, and you take it to the dealer...
They will try to offer you less because "it's an auto" and "everyone who wants a Jeep wants a stick"

Now suppose you go to the same dealers lot to look at buying the same Jeep YJ with said "Auto"
Now the crooked, lying, cheating dealer will try to jack the price up on you...
"oh Sir, these here Jeeps with the automatics are extremely rare, and the option is an extra "X dollars", so therefore it costs more"

See what I'm saying?
I think as a general rule, automatics are easier to sell, but the stick shouldn't hurt the value by much (if any) because someone always prefers stick shift.

Don't listen to the lying dealers, listen to your heart.

Now, everyone go out and kick a car dealer today, God knows they deserve it.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:57 PM
yeah the only reason they said that was because all they had was auto... I'd say of all the cars out there, I will be able to find someone looking for a Jeep in manual wouldn't you think? A lot of people like stick in Jeeps.
(im not trying to by used cars and sell them...) I am getting myself a winter car and keeping in mind resale value that's all.
thanks, Shane

Old 11-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Maybe the dealerships point would be that most drivers prefer auto so it may be harder to sell a 5 speed.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Dunno about resale value, but I think a stick shift would be harder to sell as many people can't drive/won't buy a stick, especially in the city.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by ChiDiver
Dunno about resale value, but I think a stick shift would be harder to sell as many people can't drive/won't buy a stick, especially in the city.
Right, that's what I meant by the question on resale. If I put it in the paper, 99 Jeep for sale, $10,000 low miles. I may get a lot of phone calls, and then they ask is it automatic and I say no, it's stick. That may turn some people away.
But is it safe to say if I get automatic, that won't turn anyone else away? (like myself looking for stick)
I say get what I want, and there is always going to be someone out there who will want it later...
Shane

Old 11-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Habibi

Now, everyone go out and kick a car dealer today, God knows they deserve it.
On my way out the door.

Old 11-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes an automatic has a bit higher resale then a manual. I went to Kelly’s Bluebook www.kbb.com and put in the following:

1999 Jeep Wrangler, sport utility 2D

30,000 miles, excellent condition

Private resale value:

5-speed = $10,495
Auto = $11,020

It is not much difference but my opinion is the automatic is the better of the choice. First you can tow more with an auto then a manual (for someone that may be buying it later) and most people if they really want the jeep and its an auto will still go ahead and buy it rather then if it is someone that is afraid of a stick who may pass on it…

Old 11-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Depends on the car. I would say a jeep would be likely to have a stick anyway. I had trouble selling my Mustang BECAUSE it had an auto. I know if I was looking to get a jeep I sure as hell would not want an auto just like people didnt want a Mustang with an auto. Resale values for cars under 10 years old sucks no matter what the transmission though

Quick Reply: Is resale better on an Automatic than a Stick?