Presidential IQ's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Presidential IQ's

I did a search and this didn't come up as a thread before, hope it's not repetitious.

john

Presidential IQ Report
LOVENSTEIN INSTITUTE
http://www.lovenstein.org/report/

"President G. W. Bush was rated the lowest of all the Republicans
with an IQ of 91. "

July 9, 2001 | WASHINGTON --In a report published Monday, the
Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania detailed its findings
of a four month study of the intelligence quotient of President
George W. Bush. Since 1973, the Lovenstein Institute has published
its research to the education community on each new president, which
includes the famous "IQ" report among others.

According to statements in the report, there have been twelve
presidents over the past 50 years, from F. D. Roosevelt to G. W.
Bush who were all rated based on scholarly achievements, writings
that they alone produced without aid of staff, their ability to
speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors which
were then scored in the Swanson/Crain system of intelligence
ranking. The study determined the following IQs of each president as
accurate to within five percentage points:

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald Ford (R)
175 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald Reagan (R)
98 George H. W. Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
91 George W. Bush (R)

The six Republican presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ
of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest IQ, at 155.
President G. W. Bush was rated the lowest of all the Republicans
with an IQ of 91.

The six Democrat presidents had IQs with an average of 156, with
President Clinton having the highest IQ, at 182. President Lyndon B.
Johnson was rated the lowest of all the Democrats with an IQ of 126.

No president other than Carter (D) has released his actual IQ, 176.
Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President GW
Bush, his low ratings were due to his apparent difficulty to command
the English language in public statements, his limited use of
vocabulary (6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words
for other presidents), his lack of scholarly achievements other than
a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work which could be
studied on an intellectual basis.

The complete report documents the methods and procedures used to
arrive at these ratings, including depth of sentence structure and
voice stress confidence analysis. "All the Presidents prior to
George W. Bush had a least one book under their belt, and most had
written several white papers during their education or early
careers.

Not so with President Bush," Dr. Lovenstein said. "He has no
published works or writings, so in many ways that made it more
difficult to arrive at an assessment. We had to rely more heavily on
transcripts of his unscripted public speaking."

The Lovenstein Institute of Scranton Pennsylvania think tank
includes high caliber historians, psychiatrists, sociologists,
scientists in human behavior, and psychologists. Among their ranks
are Dr. Werner R. Lovenstein, world-renowned sociologist, and
Professor Patricia F. Dilliams, a world-respected psychiatrist. This
study was commissioned on February 13, 2001, and released on July 9,
2001, to subscribing member universities and organizations within
the education community

Old 10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find that interesting but yet bogus. Not on your part because I have respect for your post. What I find bogus for all the ratings regardless their party affiliation is that IQ has much more to do then just with speaking and writings, and for that matter schooling. You can have someone with a Masters with a lower IQ then someone that didn’t even finish high school.

As far as public speaking I can not see how any one could use that to rate ones IQ. It has absolute nothing to do with ones IQ if they are a good and effective speaker. There are two Presidents that I have great admiration for their public speaking abilities. President Reagan and President Clinton. I think both were masters when it came to public speaking, they could command a crowd and have them on the edge of their seats just by their presence and when they spoke both supporters and opposers would indeed listen. I never agreed with much of Presidents Clintons policies but when ever he spoke he got my attention because of his ability to communicate.

Serotta, you seem like a well educated person as does many others that our online here. I would ask you or the others how do you think you would do at public speaking? Now I am not saying the report is completely wrong and that republicans are smarter then democrats or democrats are indeed smarter IQ wise to republicans. I just do not think one could accurately conclude another’s IQ solely based on their writings, education or speaking abilities.

As I stated, IQ test have more then just word association or meaning. They have logic problems, shapes, math, sequences etc. It’s a much more in depth measurement in ones ability to think out a proper conclusion then just how they speak or write.

At least this is my opinion on the subject…

Old 10-02-2003, 09:36 PM
01, I agree the methodology used to determine the Presidential IQ's could concievably be suspect. I just thought it interesting that this particular "think tank" has discovered a decided contrast in the IQs based on party lines. I haven't bothered to do any research into the Lovenstein Institute, but it might be interesting to see it's source of funding.

Despite the fact that I spent 30+ years as a Teacher and Administrator in the public schools of NC, I would not relish the thought of being IQ'ed solely on the merits of my public speaking abilities.

I can also testify to the notion that an advanced formal education can have little to do with IQ. One of my best friends is a high school graduate, yet is probably one of the smartest people I have ever known. He constantly reminds me that despite all my "degrees", I'm not very hot!

Old 10-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by serotta
I can also testify to the notion that an advanced formal education can have little to do with IQ. One of my best friends is a high school graduate, yet is probably one of the smartest people I have ever known. He constantly reminds me that despite all my "degrees", I'm not very hot!
Well I hope you smack him around when he says that...

On another note, how do you think Algore would score? I would think lower or much lower then Bush. I mean it is really tough to listen to more then 30 seconds of Algore...

Old 10-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Well I hope you smack him around when he says that...

On another note, how do you think Algore would score? I would think lower or much lower then Bush. I mean it is really tough to listen to more then 30 seconds of Algore...
I think Gore is smarter than we all think. He's just one of those politicians that somewhere along the campaign trail, lost his people skills, and his common sense. He speaks as if his brain and mouth are not connected, or at least there are several frayed wires between the two.

Regarding my real world educated friend, I am reluctant to swat him around because he's a bit younger, larger, faster, and stronger than I am. I may try to blindside him one day just for laughs.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 AM
I wonder how Stephen Hawking would come out based strictly on his public speaking skills? The whole system sounds snazzy and scientific, but in reality it is flawed. Sounds like Phrenology to me.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 AM

Never before have so many felt the need to question a president's intelligence. I think the question of whether or not, Bush is a certifiable moron is legitimate and worth considering

Prior to 9/11/2001, I was not at all interested in politics. Since however, I really have become concerned about all the power this moron has and how it really does affect my life.

*Setting a fine example!
*Only, Bush would forget to turn it on
*Notice the lense caps?
*No idea why he thinks this is appropriate

That, Bush doesn't learn from his mistakes is a pretty good sign that he's not coherent. This is a man who's repeatedly used the word "sub-lim-in-ab-able", as if it actually means something... He confuses present and past tense... He was a History major, yet claims he's never liked THICK books. He's simply not an intellectual.

It's perfectly respectable to support a conservative agenda, or even support his administration. But if you think this man is intelligent, you're not paying attention to his everyday actions.

He has given just 1 formal (unscripted) press conference since he took office. This lack of openness is necessary because he doesn't have any comprehension. He can't answer unscripted questions about policy or current events because he simply doesn't understand the topics.

It find it painful to listen to him speak because he abosolutely butchers the English language.

I think 90 is a bit generous. I estimate around 65-70.

An entire Website is built around his misuse of language. www.dubyaspeak.com

Old 10-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Aj, that picture is exactly why I never quit drinkin.
I know that would happen to me, too.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by flafonman
I wonder how Stephen Hawking would come out based strictly on his public speaking skills? The whole system sounds snazzy and scientific, but in reality it is flawed. Sounds like Phrenology to me.
sounds more like a Gypsy reading the bumps in a person's skull to me!

Old 10-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by serotta
I think Gore is smarter than we all think. He's just one of those politicians that somewhere along the campaign trail, lost his people skills, and his common sense. He speaks as if his brain and mouth are not connected, or at least there are several frayed wires between the two.
Excellent point and I would agree that Gore is smarter then most people think. In all honesty if I had to rate Gore or Bush’s IQ based on public speaking then Bush would score higher, not a lot but higher none the less.

I agree that President Bush for the most part does not possess great speaking skills but he has delivered some very good speeches, like the state of the union after 911 but Gore on the other hand has even a worse time at public speaking.

Though some may find comfort in a false belief that President Bush is somehow a moron just goes to show how low their own IQ must really be…

Old 10-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Bush is the man!!

Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Vocabulary?

Can anybody say speech writers? These guys rarely write their own speeches. Democrats seem to always be trying to be as ambiguous as possible when speaking. Their writers tend to go for style over content as well. Therefore, they use words that will go over the heads of the average American. Using the system used here, to determine IQ, the democrat will always come out ahead in points. I'm surprised Clinton didn't break 200.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Oh yes..... The lower the score, the more likely the President is to be a straight talker. To me, that implies honesty.

Old 10-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Yet another example of an Internet "bull*****" campaign.

The truth behind the topic...

Why don't the Clintonites all get together and move to Pakistan ?

I knew this was BS the minute I saw Clinton's supposed IQ... If he was so friggin' smart, he wouldn't have married Hillary !!

-125 IQ points for that one event alone !!

Old 10-04-2003, 09:54 AM
All three of those are fakes, or photoshop type pictures. The real funny one is the lense cap one, that has been floating around for a long time. It first began with Clinton.

Originally posted by AjRagno
*Only, Bush would forget to turn it on
That one was real. Yes the man made a mistake, get over it, he is your President and keeping you safe at night. At least its a man having fun with a "real" toy, rather then playing with cigars and very young girls in the office...

Quick Reply: Presidential IQ's