F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2011 Ford Scorpion 6.7 Liter Diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 Ford Scorpion 6.7 Liter Diesel!

If you go to www.pickuptruck.com you can read about FoMoCo's replacement for the current Navistar supplied 6.4 Liter PowerStroke, being replaced in 2011 by the 6.7 Liter Ford Scorion Diesel............

Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That's wonderful... how much are they gonna charge for it? $10,000 this time around?

$7,500 is enough for a stupid engine.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me it's not a money thing but more of a reliability issue, they really need to get their head out of their a** and put out a solid reliable diesel. The 6.0 is a joke. The 6.4 is already being plagued by major issues.....I'm not laying down my hard earned cash for any of these motors until it all gets worked out. Even the heavy truck shop down the road from us has a lot of issues with their Navistar motors...it's not just Ford at fault here.....

my 2 cents and yes I feel better now I have acute 6.0l diesel tech syndrome......it's not curable until they are all gone or blown all to bits.......

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sure the engine will be great (it's a hope) - but, I already have styling issues with the 08+ (it's starting to grow on me though - kinda) so that hood is quite....yuk. It must be a prototype - not the real thing (I really hope)

Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Money grows on trees. I like the sounds of it. Bigger is better.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...ule-spied.html

Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by FordTech1
I have acute 6.0l diesel tech syndrome......it's not curable until they are all gone or blown all to bits.......
Sounds like you need some serious help. I've had three and they have been virtually flawless.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you need some serious help. I've had three and they have been virtually flawless
Ummm no not really...consider yourself one of the lucky ones or you are really out of touch with the problems with the 6.0...your 3 "good" trucks are definitely not the "voice" of the rest of the 6.0 fleet. Head gasket failures, EGR cooler failures, Oil cooler failures, Egr valve failures, etc...common problems daily, not just making it up dude, it's REAL......Then again if you have had 3 6.0's in the last 5 years then you may not have owned one long long enough to reap their full benefits of ownership. Don't get me wrong, if you are having good luck then good on ya!!!! But they do have a pile of problems like it or not.........

Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Suspended
Ummm no not really...consider yourself one of the lucky ones or you are really out of touch with the problems with the 6.0...your 3 "good" trucks are definitely not the "voice" of the rest of the 6.0 fleet. Head gasket failures, EGR cooler failures, Oil cooler failures, Egr valve failures, etc...common problems daily, not just making it up dude, it's REAL......Then again if you have had 3 6.0's in the last 5 years then you may not have owned one long long enough to reap their full benefits of ownership. Don't get me wrong, if you are having good luck then good on ya!!!! But they do have a pile of problems like it or not.........
Although the 6.0 did have more issues than the 7.3, places like message boards tend to blow it out of proportion from reality. I know MANY people with 6.0s that have literally not had a single issue with some serious mileage on the clock, too.

It's fairly well known that the early release trucks suffered the most, but the ones following the first year models were quite a bit better.

If they really had THAT many problems, and considering the number of them that Ford sells (80% of their SD trucks are diesel), then how did Ford manage to tie Toyta/Honda for #1 in initial quality? Food for thought...

Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a video of one at a Ford dealership spitting out fire from the dual pipes. At first I thought it was a mod but then realized something was wrong with the engine. I like the older 7.3L's, but then again I don't know the first thing about a diesel

Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lumadar
Although the 6.0 did have more issues than the 7.3, places like message boards tend to blow it out of proportion from reality. I know MANY people with 6.0s that have literally not had a single issue with some serious mileage on the clock, too.

It's fairly well known that the early release trucks suffered the most, but the ones following the first year models were quite a bit better.

If they really had THAT many problems, and considering the number of them that Ford sells (80% of their SD trucks are diesel), then how did Ford manage to tie Toyta/Honda for #1 in initial quality? Food for thought...
x2

I have to agree totally on the bolded areas I highlighted.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I saw a video of one at a Ford dealership spitting out fire from the dual pipes. At first I thought it was a mod but then realized something was wrong with the engine. I like the older 7.3L's, but then again I don't know the first thing about a diesel
LOL... I know that video... heck I even still have a copy of it on my cell phone because I showed it to my service manager...

Anyways... this whole thing reminds me of the Cummins turbo diesels... the 5.9l Cummins 12 valve = 7.3l PS as far as quality... the runner up the 5.9l Cummins 24 valve = 6.0l PS as far a problems... and the new 6.7l Cummins 24 valve = 6.4l PS as far as problems.

I think these manufacturers are getting totally complicated on these engines that they don't know what goes where and what does what... they are confusing themselves on these engines.

I know that clean air comes with a cost... but there is a limit to how much technology an engine needs.

There is so much electronic crap in these new engines it is NOT even funny.

And the people that are working on them are no different than they were 15 years ago.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
If they really had THAT many problems, and considering the number of them that Ford sells (80% of their SD trucks are diesel), then how did Ford manage to tie Toyta/Honda for #1 in initial quality? Food for thought
How many diesels are Toyota selling right now?
Maybe Toyota's standards dropped as well, which is a well known fact....Camry transmissions, Tacoma frames?.....Food for thought.......

I work on these motors daily , I'm not basing my numbers off a message forum, ask any Ford Diesel tech about 6.0 troubles, you might be surprised, It is not uncommon for any large Ford dealership to have a few 6.0's sitting around getting major surgery....Sure there are some good ones out there, but there are a fair amount of bad ones as well, if they are so great why are they not still in production for the F-Series? The only reason they still use them in the E-series is because of the size of 6.4 and the limited options for doing a cab off removal on an E-series....How about the Ford/Navistar lawsuit??????? 6.0's are great when they are working but the average "I want to own a diesel to tow my boat owner" does not get into the same amount of trouble as would the commercial account everyday user.....the head gasket problem is well known and usually does not come up unless you are doing heavy towing etc.....Injector failures, not uncommon at all on these, at $250+ a pop for each injector plus labor on these your bill just got real expensive real quick, only to have it come in a month later for another one or two.....

Seriously I wish all of you 6.0 owners the best, but it is what it is......I'm not trying to flame anyone here or whatnot, but being a 6.0 tech definitely has job security...

Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
And the people that are working on them are no different than they were 15 years ago.
I don't know dude, there is a lot more emphasis on schooling these days than there was 15 years ago, I can put a tech from 15 years ago to shame on the amount of information I am required to know as compared to back then....... like you said the motors are much more complicated, the 6.4 is a technical marvel IMHO, but it comes with a price, most owners are complaining of poor fuel economy on these, it seems it comes with a price for being "clean"

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM

I don't know dude, there is a lot more emphasis on schooling these days than there was 15 years ago, I can put a tech from 15 years ago to shame on the amount of information I am required to know as compared to back then....... like you said the motors are much more complicated, the 6.4 is a technical marvel IMHO, but it comes with a price, most owners are complaining of poor fuel economy on these, it seems it comes with a price for being "clean"
You might be schooled... but you be surprised at who is working at some of these Ford Service Centers... some of those techs don't know what the left from the right is... and it's sad because it makes Ford look like total crap.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah I totally agree, when I go to school I get to see who else is out there ya know.......some really good guys don't get me wrong but there are always a few that make you wonder..."how did they get this far????"

Me and the guys at my dealership take pride in knowing "we are the best" in our town but it is a team effort, we all take accountability in what we do.....it's not always about making time.....

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Scorpion 6.7 Liter Diesel!