F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2006 f-250 paint trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Enough is Enough Already
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 f-250 paint trouble

I have a 2006 ford f-250 lariat and my paint has swirl marks all over it.(only visible when in the sun) wut can i do about it??

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by seangranger
I have a 2006 ford f-250 lariat and my paint has swirl marks all over it.(only visible when in the sun) wut can i do about it??
You should really visit the threads on detailing on F150online. There are many ways to solve this little problem.

Mine had the same thing...bought it used so it wasn't properly taken care of.

What i did was remove the current wax....then I clayed the truck. Washed again and then clayed a second time. Once that was done. I used my Porter Cable power buffer with Maguires paint cleaner...then followed that up with the #21 synthetic wax. You will NOT be able to remove the swirls by hand waxing.

Also depends on how deep the marks are. You may need a more aggressive buffer pad. You have found the best places to get info. Also try the Maguires website forums.

Also, try using the SEARCH button on the forums...just use Swirls and you will get 3 dozen or so hits from that.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Enough is Enough Already
ok thanks i will try that, i have always hand washed my truck and i dont know what caused that

Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM
ok thanks i will try that, i have always hand washed my truck and i dont know what caused that
Most likely they are towel marks.

A few things to invest in:
Microfiber towels-you can get a walmart even-6 pack for 12 bucks
if you hand wash, use a wash designed not to remove wax...ie Zipp or Meguires wash, use microfiber wash mitt or rag
Using household soap will remove any previous wax.
Clay bar and misting spray. This will get your paint crazy clean and ready for polishing.
Microfiber wax applicator if using by hand.
cold beer

BTW there is a F150 member named RockPick who really knows his stuff on detailing, do a search on his name and you'll get more info that you ever dreamed of on detailing.

This board is great, so welcome......

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-05-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Enough is Enough Already
Thumbs up

ok thanks i used a black magic drying cloth to dry it but i thought it might be my scrub brush

Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
ok thanks i used a black magic drying cloth to dry it but i thought it might be my scrub brush
Scrub brush on paint? I think you found your culprit. If you are using any kind of brush on your paint, you could be doing damage.. Does your paint look like spider webs in certain light? If so, you can fix it but it may take a few paint cleanings to do it. Go easy, your clear coat is very thin....wax is really thin so you could be removing wax or scratching into the wax or clearcoat.

Try using MeGuiers Paint Cleaner or Paint Cleaner Wax then follow it up with #21 or #26 wax. I am a fan of the #21 but its hard to find right now.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Enough is Enough Already
What should i use besides my scrub brush to wash it ( it is a auto scrub brush i picked up at walmart i quit using it afraid it was the problem)

Old 12-08-2006, 04:28 PM
What should i use besides my scrub brush to wash it ( it is a auto scrub brush i picked up at walmart i quit using it afraid it was the problem)

a scrub brush??? talk about a no brainer! Don't ever use a scrub brush on paint ever!

I have a black truck and I only use a very soft sponge, nothing else

Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Enough is Enough Already
it like a car wash brush like you use at the car washes is that what you thought i ment

Quick Reply: 2006 f-250 paint trouble