Expedition / Navigator

Expedition vs. Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Expedition vs. Tahoe

I'm torn. Both are NICE trucks. I love my '99 F-150, so I know what to expect from an Expedition. But the Tahoe is sweet, too.
The Chevy 5.3 is a dream. But Ford's gotta great finance package and the dealer's come down WAY off the sticker.

Damn...the choices one must make. Any advice? I realize this IS a Ford board.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Thumbs up

I've got a 2000 EB Expy so I'm going to be biased. I have to say though, I never thought I'd own a Ford. If Chevy had come out with the 2000 sooner, with the 3rd seat etc. I'd probably have bought one. I bought an Expy though and I have to say, I love it!!

I haven't driven a new Tahoe or Suburban with the new power plants but that last Suburban I did drive ('97 or '98) with the 350 couldn't get out of it's own way. You should drive both. As far a power, look at the ratings. Chevy's 4.8 and 5.3 are 275 and 285 HP respectivly and like 290 and 323 Lb's of torque. But look at what RPM. It's like 4500 RPM to get those peak numbers.

The 5.4 Triton is only 260 HP but 350 Lb's of torque stock. That's peak torque at 2500 RPM and peak HP at around 3000 or so. It's got the power where you drive.

I've chipped and opened up from both ends my Expy. I'm getting 15-16 MPG around town and 18+ HWY and I'm not afraid to go head to head with any new Chevy. It's got power. Mine should be at about 315HP and close to 450 Lb's of torque.

Ok, power's not all. Some of the Tahoe's and Suburbans look hot! I can't speak for the interior but the Expy is really nice, and lot's of room.

Good luck with either. You're right too, Ford is really trying to move the full sized SUV's. It's hurting the preowed market but hey, I'm not in the selling mood anyway.

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 02-05-2001).]

Old 02-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Smile

I was in the same boat at the end of 98. I wanted a Tahoe but the wife wanted to seat more than six. Now I didn't trust her driving a Suburb, too long. Well then we looked at the X and it was just right. And It fit in my garage. Im not saying It didn't have it's problems but I have it straightend out now and happy. Now my cusin has the 2000 Suburb and is having problems with it so don't feel bad at all. I never owned either Ford or Chevy, Just a little Jeep Cherokee that was good to me, and needed more room so moved up. Good Luck on your choice, Let us know.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT,5.4L,4X4,3.73LS,17"AT/S,Airaid Intake,Superchip,Custom Edlebrock shocks,Dynomax Super Turbo 3",Helwig Sway Arm,Polk speakers

Old 02-06-2001, 11:04 AM
Well, not to critize the Chevy people, but the Tahoe is just plain ugly on the instide and outside. The interior of the car is just plain cheap looking compared to the interior of the Expy. Remember, I am a Ford Fan, but I critique every make, model, and brand. I think it is just ignorant for GM to develop 3 or 4 cars, that look exactly the same, but call the different names. Ex: Tahoe and Denali, Grand Am and Grand Prix, and there are many more.
My father went into a dealership about a week ago and they tried to sell him a brand new Cadillac Escalade. He set in the truck, got out and said, "D@MN, that just looks cheap." He isn't partial to either brand, but he has noticed that Ford's look better and last longer, or at least on the farm.

Old 02-06-2001, 01:18 PM
01X
Thumbs up

I have a 2001 X. WE got it 3 weeks ago. SO far i love it. I have always owned fords as my father and his father before. I grew up on a ranch and the only truck that would hold up to the abuse was a ford. Ther have been ranchers who have tried chevy's and they were sorely disappointed on the longevity of the vehicle. The resale was also low in comparison. I now live in Odessa Tx. which is a large oil producing are(Permian Basin). The oilfiled companies have large fleets and they all run fords. These people run these company trucks up and down washboard roads at 70 and the chevrolet will not hold up. Plus you know you are in trouble when your doors are glued on.
Yes some of the chevy's look sweet and they have high horsepower ratings. But neither of these are in the usable range. THe 5.4 (which I would recommend) has stock 350 ft. lb. of torque at 2500 rpm. This is your driving around town power. Granted the chevy has more torque and horsepower but unless you are going to race or drag race with a trailer this will do you no good. FOr horsepower and torque you can use buy the ford. There is a website that has the top ten engines of the year and the 5.4 has been in it for the last 4 years. Even with the new chevy motors they still can not compete. As far as fit and finish, I read an article(motortrend???) They were comparing the tahoe and the X. The chevy won because it had a smoother ride. THey did not seem to care about the fact that the X had
1. more useable horsepower
2. more usable torque
3. more room
4. more rigid frame
a. less squeaks
b. less rattles
c. better off road ability
THey are car guys and they go on car like ride, not truck ability.
I have added a K&N and an aftermarket exhaust on the performance side so far. It has boosted performance noticeably and really sounds tough. Should be at about 275 hp. and 380 on the torque. That is quite an improvement for $300.
My advice: Buy FORD TOUGH and that way you will never have to apologise for your truck not being truck enough.

Old 02-07-2001, 12:32 AM
Talking

I have to agree, I went to the LA car show and Cadillac has this ugly front end on every one of there cars and truck. V plastic look. I think they made a mistake on that look. By the way they do have a crew cab truck. I think they called it the EXT. Fully loaded.

Old 02-07-2001, 08:53 AM
I own a 98 expedition and my twin brother has
a 2001 Tahoe so here is my opinions on both.
Expedition has More 2nd row leg room, slightly better build quality, more useable
cargo area.
Tahoe has better seats, ride, handling,third row seats are much easier to put in and out.
If you don't really need the extra room go
with the tahoe, Its a more modern design and
drives much nicer in my opinion.
My brother put new 17" american racing atlas wheels on his and it looks awesome. The stock wheels suck though. The Tahoe ride and
handling blew me away. My brother also has a
BMW 540i and he said there wasnt that much
difference in ride between the two.
I hate the twitchy steering on my Expedition. Feels like you are not in control
of the vehicle. Tahoe feels much better.
All that being said about the Tahoe, Its
about $3000 more comparably equiped so it not
really fair to compare the two. I think the
Tahoes are a little over priced myself. with either vehicle you can't go wrong!

------------------
98 Expediton XLT 2wd. 4.6, Edelbrock shocks, K&N.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:50 AM
01X
the website for the top ten engines is Wardsauto.com check it out!

Old 02-09-2001, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up

Ok then, you can stay on these boards. Had you bought the Tahoe, we'd have to kick you out.

Just kidding, congrat's. You'll love it.

Hey, now I can ask, I've noticed what I believe to be 01 Expy's with a big old coffee can on the tail pipe. Have you noticed that and do you know what it is?

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>

Old 02-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Talking

This just in...I bought the '01 Expedition. It's essentially an Eddie Bauer without the EB label. Leather. 5.4. 6 disc CD. Running boards. Blah. Blah. Blah. You know the deal.

Got a great price (just a scootch above invoice), plus 2.9 APR for 60 months. Sweet!

I was really torn between the Expy and Tahoe. The financing package was a big influence from a $ standpoint. I also did not like the steering on the Tahoe; it felt way too sensitive and twitchy. The Expy gives me more of a sense of control. Also the Tahoe interior felt less roomy...which is a big reason why I'm getting rid of the Explorer.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is appreciated.

Old 02-10-2001, 09:05 AM
Have to agree with the above posts and congratulations on your Exp. purchase.
One of my employees bought a 01 Tahoe and my quick observations include:
Cheap interior
Cloth seats loook like they already have
100K miles on them (cloth is a must here
in the south as the heat makes leather
very uncomfortable).
Taho rides quieter. No tire or road noise

Old 02-10-2001, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Let the MODS begin!!!

Congrats on the new X- you'll love it.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-10-2001, 05:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FamilyRide:
I've noticed what I believe to be 01 Expy's with a big old coffee can on the tail pipe. Have you noticed that and do you know what it is?</font>
Resonator. I asked my salesman.

Old 02-14-2001, 12:49 AM
01X
Thumbs up

Well sounds just like the one I bought about 3.5 weeks ago. XLT with all the whistles. With 2.9 the payments are great and the amount of interest over 5 yrs. is nothing. MIne is white with parchment interior
You need to put an afteramrket exhaust and a K&N first off. It has made a real difference in performance and added about 2 mpg. It only has 1,200 miles so it can only get better over time. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Expedition vs. Tahoe