Exhaust comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust comparison

Hey all (old poster w/ new profile due to just totally not checking in about 2 years)!

So my 2010 F150 was laid to rest Mid August when deemed a TL.. Had a Magnaflow SIDO I installed and enjoyed it... Replaced it with a 2013 F150 SCrew 5.0 4x4....Won't deny though that quite frankly I am wanting more aggressive sound.. Been watching clips on youtube, reading some reviews, dyno charting, etc etc... Just deciding right now that it is coming down to 2 kits I am interested in and wanted feedback/user/owner opinions.

Option 1: Flowmaster 817691 Outlaw Stainless Steel Aggressive Sound Cat-Back Exhaust System

Option 2: Roush Performance Catback Side Exit Exhaust System Kit 42171

Pricewise I'm indifferent to either since through Amazon, Ebay, etc they are basically within 20 bucks of one another... So that really isn't something factoring to me... The videos for sound all sound nice for startup/idle/accelerating/drive by.. The interior drone of both seems to be where more opinion is interjected and not alot of decent sound quality is available to hear the possible drone from both..

Thoughts/opinions/input from anyone is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathful4x4
Hey all (old poster w/ new profile due to just totally not checking in about 2 years)!

So my 2010 F150 was laid to rest Mid August when deemed a TL.. Had a Magnaflow SIDO I installed and enjoyed it... Replaced it with a 2013 F150 SCrew 5.0 4x4....Won't deny though that quite frankly I am wanting more aggressive sound.. Been watching clips on youtube, reading some reviews, dyno charting, etc etc... Just deciding right now that it is coming down to 2 kits I am interested in and wanted feedback/user/owner opinions.

Option 1: Flowmaster 817691 Outlaw Stainless Steel Aggressive Sound Cat-Back Exhaust System

Option 2: Roush Performance Catback Side Exit Exhaust System Kit 42171

Pricewise I'm indifferent to either since through Amazon, Ebay, etc they are basically within 20 bucks of one another... So that really isn't something factoring to me... The videos for sound all sound nice for startup/idle/accelerating/drive by.. The interior drone of both seems to be where more opinion is interjected and not alot of decent sound quality is available to hear the possible drone from both..

Thoughts/opinions/input from anyone is appreciated and thanks in advance!
have you looked into black widow exhaust or dyno max. I have no issues with my dynomax! No drone. Also black widow is supposed to be aggressive but no drone!!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Hey 07 thanks for the reply! I peeked into the BWs on Youtube and saw some vids and then looked at their website.. I won't deny they aren't a bad sounding exhaust but there isn't a whole lot of info on them on separate pages or vendors here in AZ pushing them so outside of the F150 BW Kits I saw a year or so back this is the first I've really heard/seen them as parts.

The vid I saw actually sounded decent, downside though is they just sell the muffler only and it requires welding (not against) so I have to take to a muffler shop and also have the tips and piping done up/purchased as well. Due to work/scheduling w/ the wifey and having 2 boys this really isn't an option to be down a vehicle on a day where I can do a full exhaust kit myself in the garage w/ bolt on for time being and weld later when schedules permit.

I looked into the DYNOMAX brand just now abit more, the downside to the dual exhaust is on their website they say:

"2014-11 Ford F150 5.0L - 2WD/4WD, Extended Cab, Short Bed, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 145 Inch W.B., Excluding Harley Davidson Edition & Raptor. To install the 38514 Dynomax system, the spare tire must be permanently relocated from under the vehicle."

Not sure where I'd relocate the spare tire to just to make the exhaust work/function for my F150 model.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Because it is the most aggressive system that we offer, the Outlaw Cat-back (part #817691) will produce more interior resonance (drone) than our less aggressive systems like the American Thunder or Force II Cat-back. In general, the louder that a system is outside of the vehicle, the louder it will be inside. Feel free to shoot me a PM or give us a call at 707-544-4761 with any additional questions or concerns that you may have.
-Ron

Old 09-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Hey Ron and thanks for the response! I received an email from Brandon in your department already outlining that both Outlaw and Outlaw Extremes are essentially meant for "racing" or primarily off roading. I've updated my searches to have the single pipe American Thunder as a possibility.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor
Although the majority of F-150 owners are not necessarily racing their trucks or exclusively driving them off-road, what Brandon was most likely getting at was that our Outlaw systems are very aggressive and may not meet your sound requirements if you daily drive your truck and don't want much of an increase in your interior sound levels. That said, everyone has their own preference when it comes to sound and there are plenty of Ford truck owners happily running our Outlaw systems. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in search of a 5.0L FX4 and I've decided long ago the Roush kit is certainly what I want. Deep grunt and full throttle 5.0L roar. The Flowmasters to be always had a hollow tone and a undesirable tone from mod motors. I had a 6.0L gas Silverado 9 years ago and it sounded fantastic with the Super 44 mufflers ( brand new muffler at the time ). But on the Ford modular motors not so wonderful, to me at least.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Flowmaster A.K.A. slowmaster sounds horrible on mod motors, not to mention they are a chambered style muffler, which actually hurts performance. Considering the factory muffler is a straight thru design, why would you put an old school chambered muffler on. On the 09-14's ford optimized the exhaust and changing it only changes sound and actually gains nothing. But if you go backwards and put on an old school chambered muffler, you actually increase backpressure and hurt performance.

If you want to wake up the sound, not hurt performance and have no drone, start with a resonator delete. It's a factory ford part and is a bolt in. The one for my truck is about a buck 20 on amazon. Look here to find the one you need https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...or+delete+part

If you still want more after the resonator delete, try a borla cat-back, or roush (made by borla) or ford racing (also borla) or magnaflow

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 10-08-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Flowmaster A.K.A. slowmaster sounds horrible on mod motors, not to mention they are a chambered style muffler, which actually hurts performance. Considering the factory muffler is a straight thru design, why would you put an old school chambered muffler on. On the 09-14's ford optimized the exhaust and changing it only changes sound and actually gains nothing. But if you go backwards and put on an old school chambered muffler, you actually increase backpressure and hurt performance.

If you want to wake up the sound, not hurt performance and have no drone, start with a resonator delete. It's a factory ford part and is a bolt in. The one for my truck is about a buck 20 on amazon. Look here to find the one you need https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...or+delete+part

If you still want more after the resonator delete, try a borla cat-back, or roush (made by borla) or ford racing (also borla) or magnaflow
Interesting. I will look into the Borla options. Do you have any thoughts on the MBRP Pro Series? Thanks

Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone has there own opinion when it comes to sound and what sounds great to one person, may sound horrible to the next. For this reason, Flowmaster offers over a dozen different series of mufflers, allowing our customers to truly find the precise tone and level of sound that they are looking for. When the correct Flowmaster muffler, in regards to the vehicle application, is selected and properly installed, you will never lose power. This is because we test all of our designs on the dyno and in real world situations before they ever make it to market. We have customers that are successfully running our chambered mufflers on vehicles that produce upwards of 1,500 hp. Of course, when swapping out a muffler only, rather than installing one of our complete systems, there are several variables that can play into the resulting performance numbers.

Although it is often misunderstood, Flowmaster's chambered muffler design was actually a revolution in exhaust technology. Traditional muffler designs generally consisted of an outer case with a perforated tube inside, surrounded by fiberglass packing materials that were used to absorb sound. These packing materials deteriorate due to heat and eventually become ineffective at absorbing sound, meaning that the muffler will become louder over time. Flowmaster's patented chambered technology uses absolutely zero packing materials to cancel sound and will maintain the same level of sound for the life of the product. Our internal design helps to scavenge exhaust gases moving through the system, increasing exhaust velocity and ultimately resulting in improved performance. Below is a short video that explains our design in detail. We hope that this info is helpful. If anyone ever has a question about Flowmaster products, we also offer a Tech Line (707) 544-4761 that you can call for a product recommendation or support.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Borla Pro XS. No chambers. Best tone out there for the mod motor. I've tried Hooker Aerochamber, a "turbo" muffler, dual magnapacks, and none compare in full, aggressive, non "tinny" sound to the Borla. Of course, I have LTs

Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I'm in search of a 5.0L FX4 and I've decided long ago the Roush kit is certainly what I want. Deep grunt and full throttle 5.0L roar. The Flowmasters to be always had a hollow tone and a undesirable tone from mod motors. I had a 6.0L gas Silverado 9 years ago and it sounded fantastic with the Super 44 mufflers ( brand new muffler at the time ). But on the Ford modular motors not so wonderful, to me at least.
I bought a '13 5.0 shortly after this post, put the roush catback on it. Absolutely love it. Only issue I have is how loud it is inside on the highway. I do wish it was more quiet.

Quick Reply: Exhaust comparison