Manifold Woes

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manifold Woes

Agh... Here we go again. A little over 2 years ago I had my passenger side manifold replaced by local dealer. Now I am sitting here listening to the same ticking sound again.

To quote myself..

Originally Posted by Shanks12
Yeah, I just got back from the Ford dealership yesterday. Had to get a quote from them. They were much less.

They said $570.97 if they just replaced the gaskets and studs and no studs broke

$843.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs, with none breaking

and $1,323.38 if they had to replace manifold, gasket, studs and all 8 broke.

I think he said $60 an hour is what they charge for broken ones..
And then...

I just had mine done back in March.. Passenger Side manifold had a crack in it. I was at 84,157 miles.

Ended up costing $1,548.62

$1,207.50 in labor
Manifold and Gasket kit was $255.68

They had to remove 6 broken studs..

On my sheet I don't see how many hours it says that it took...

Acctually i believe it says 11.5 hours.

I'm going to assume that their rates probably haven't changed to much.. Well, they probably have gone up.

I actually emailed the dealer to ask what kind of warranty they have on their service and I just received this earlier today.

Mark, unfortunately you only have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on this whichever comes first, so there isn’t any warranty left on this.

Sorry
Well crap. Local Midas shop that discovered where the leak was coming from told me I would be looking at $600 for labor to install. Sounds like I can get a Dorman manifold for around $100 or so online. I don't really think I want to spend the money on getting LT.

I'm not sure how much longer I will be owning the truck. Newer trucks keep catching my eye.

Sorry guys. Just needed a place to vent for a few minutes. I am currently at 97,000 miles. So I have driven only 13,000 miles in 26ish months. Feel like I shouldn't have to replace this... again.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:13 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you are going to get rid of the truck, just live with it.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Yeah. That has crossed my mind.

Only problem is, I don't know how long I will keep it. It could be a year or more or less.

Not having a truck payment is kind of nice!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I have a lighting ticking too and pretty sure it's the manifold. I have a recent thread to weigh options. I'm just going to sit until next year on it as the truck is a weekend toy and will be put away in winter. I'll probably just pay for LT's because of exactly what you are going through. 1000+. That nuts. **** that.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Yeah i know. Need to figure out what I want to do. Just pulled a camper this weekend with it. Not fun to listen to that the whole time just reminding me to get it fixed.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a manifold leak fixed. It was warped and they were able to machine it and reinstall. $300 at a local shop. They said do not wait until winter, but I could not leave it, knowing that it can cause major engine damage.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:57 PM
I think I'm just going to have them replace that side.

Looking at the previous job they did. Here is what they charged me:

Parts:

9L3Z-9K494-A Manifold & Gaskets = $255.68
W707753-S900 Stud $12.87 * 2 = $25.74
N800419-S301 Nut $4.45 * 4 = $17.80

Total = $299.22

But looking at Summit Racing I found this kit for $74.97

2005 FORD F 150 Dorman Exhaust Manifolds 674-694

It says "Exhaust flange studs and nuts only, head mounting hardware not included."

Does that mean it doesn't come with the Studs and nuts? The image shows 2 studs and 2 nuts.

On Dorman's website you can see the part number 674-694 and it says the following:

Package Contents: Exhaust Manifold, 1 Manifold Gasket, 2 Studs, 2 Nuts

So if that is a complete package on Summit Racing then that would save me $224.25 right off the bat for basically the same product.

So I guess I need to find out if that Package is complete on Summit Racing or not.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have lived with my leak for 2yrs so far ( half the time of owning the truck :O ). No damage 'yet'. Going to have it fixed though, someday. I have an LS1 car now that gets all of my attention and have put 6 miles on my truck for the last 2 months.

If it doesn't sound like mine, ride it out if you indent to get rid of it.

I also agree though that a repaired manifold should NOT at all be leaking after this little of time.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Yeah. The sound is just annoying. Especially rolling down the highway with Camper in tow. Maybe i'l get a Video of it while rolling. Doesn't sound to be idling, just when I hit the gas.

It's probably more annoying to me than anyone else. I might end up just keeping the truck another year or two at least.

May just fix this and find a new muffler to run to cut down the drone in the cab. What do you recommend for that Darren? - I know you say Borla XR-1 but not sure I can bring myself to spend $250 for 2 mufflers + install.

Although I'm sure having the High Flow's are making my drone worse. But I think my Wifey may be happier if I get that fixed as well haha.

-- Happy Wife = Happy Life

Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Well I just purchased the Dorman Manifold 674-694 from SummitRacing.com for $83.

Contacted the Ford dealer that I normally go to, the same one that fixed it the first time, for a quote.

Labor is $798.00 plus $60.00 for each broken bolt if we break any.
That is a considerable increase over the original $570.97 which they quoted me for last time for the swap.

Seems crazy that something they replaced 27 months ago has increased $220ish and they can't even give me a break considering they already fixed this once using their parts.

I called another Ford dealer here that my wife bought her Explorer from. He told me that they don't even do Exhaust work there. He said they take all of their vehicles with exhaust issues to an Exhaust shop down the road.

I originally took my truck that that shop years ago when I had my True Duals put on and thought the place was a bit sketchy. I guess I can get a quote from them.

Midas gave me a quote of $600 to do Passenger side when they patched a small exhaust leak I had.

---

Would you guys take it to a dealer for this work or just to an exhaust shop / all in one (Midas, Carx, etc) ?

Last edited by Shanks12; 06-24-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Just got the Manifold in from Summit Racing.

Can't believe that I looked at the listing and saw Manifold, Gasket, 2 Studs, 2 Nuts in the pictures on their site, but then they have in the bottom that it doesn't include the gasket.

That's a bit misleading. Now I have to find a gasket.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 AM

I don't intend to have mine repaired by the dealer, going to try a small local business shop if I can find one with confidence and experience with the 5.4L manifolds. Not intending to spend more than $500.

As for drone calming, I can only suggest another set of mufflers for you. Oval bodies. Even when I had my 11" oval Magnaflows, I could hear it all on acceleration, but I could not believe how quiet it was when cruising or idling. I obviously hated it . But that muffler is a good combination of loud under accel, and quiet when cruising.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I don't intend to have mine repaired by the dealer, going to try a small local business shop if I can find one with confidence and experience with the 5.4L manifolds. Not intending to spend more than $500.

As for drone calming, I can only suggest another set of mufflers for you. Oval bodies. Even when I had my 11" oval Magnaflows, I could hear it all on acceleration, but I could not believe how quiet it was when cruising or idling. I obviously hated it . But that muffler is a good combination of loud under accel, and quiet when cruising.
Yeah the guys at Midas told me they have changed out a few on the 5.4l so that gives me some confidence.

As far as the it be mufflers, which ones are you referring to? I know my high flows are probably contributing to the drone as well.

I may have to do some research on those 11" oval ones you referred to.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Yeah the guys at Midas told me they have changed out a few on the 5.4l so that gives me some confidence.

As far as the it be mufflers, which ones are you referring to? I know my high flows are probably contributing to the drone as well.

I may have to do some research on those 11" oval ones you referred to.
These mufflers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11366

One more for you, this was shortly after the rear converter removal, and the truck was not tuned.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Darren,

Thanks for sending over the video's. I'll have to do some more searching on YouTube as well. I do like the sound. I wonder how much it would change since I do have High Flows.

And just stopped at my local Ford Dealer after emailing one of the Service Advisors. He said he just went off of what they charged me last time since they broke 4 bolts. He didn't actually look up what it says in the computer on how long it actually takes.

Didn't like that so I stopped in to talk with someone and the guy quoted me at $375 base price + any broken bolts.

So I am going with that. Since all 8 were changed 2 years ago, I am hoping that none break.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manifold Woes