how much sound will i gain removing rear cats on 04

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much sound will i gain removing rear cats on 04

Read through most threads and a lot of peoples concerns seem to be about the cel. Well I want a lot better sound and louder, will removing the cats do this. BTW, I'm running super 10 sido.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
It will be much louder and with that Super 10 probably obnoxiously loud. You won't get a CEL if the new high flow cats (or in your case new straight pipes to replace removed rear cats) are welded in properly along with o2 sensors.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Loudest thing would probably be to remove all 4 cats and put 1 hi-flow cat on each side with all 02 sensors put back in place. Only comment I can make about the sound is that my friend and I both have the same Roush offroad exhaust, he has an 04 and I an 06 (both 5.4s), and mine is louder, but not by much. I couldn't tell the difference until compared side by side

Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Last Maggie hi flows I had on my 02 got clogged up so that is not an option. I ended up having to run them gutted out and pay 350 for a custom tune on top of the cash spent on the hi flows and installation of them. Got pretty pricey and I want to avoid any chance of that this time around.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by dave06ford
It will be much louder and with that Super 10 probably obnoxiously loud. You won't get a CEL if the new high flow cats (or in your case new straight pipes to replace removed rear cats) are welded in properly along with o2 sensors.
Won't the 02 sensors stay where they are? In this case they are between front and rear cat. Or will they have to be moved? I figured the shop could just cut out the rear cats and tie in some new 2.5. But I honestly don't know how this will need to be done

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Truck is in the shop. Will update difference in sound in a couple hrs

Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Cool! How much are they charging you to remove them and add 2.5" pipe?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Highly interested in a video of a rear cat delete & Super 10.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Got the rears cutoff and I am happy with the sound. Its not too loud but has a nice aggressive tone and did get louder than it was with them on. Overall I am happy how it came out and would recommend it to anyone looking for something extra.

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Cool! How much are they charging you to remove them and add 2.5" pipe?
They charged me $115 to do it. I figured it wasn't to steep considering most shops won't touch them. Guy was insistent on gutting out the front 2 but I couldn't do it. I told him if for some reason the cel comes on I will go ahead and gut them. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Highly interested in a video of a rear cat delete & Super 10.
I might can get one up in a couple days or at least get a link to YouTube. Not quite sure how to embed videos.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Yeah, $115 ain't bad. I'm surprised the guy wanted to gut the fronts. I didn't even think about the fact that messing with cats at all is pretty illegal and can get a shop in a lot of hot water.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, $115 ain't bad. I'm surprised the guy wanted to gut the fronts. I didn't even think about the fact that messing with cats at all is pretty illegal and can get a shop in a lot of hot water.
and....

1. Even though you are exempt from inspections, you are not exempt from the requirement to have them- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.

2. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter

3. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.

5. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
and....

1. Even though you are exempt from inspections, you are not exempt from the requirement to have them- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.

2. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter

3. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.

5. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.
The vehicle has cats and I am not in California.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Lol, yeah he's an old school guy and is totally against catalytic converters

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM

. . . That almost never happens to anyone. And you've got to be a total hoe to report somebody for that. Tons of people runs no cats at all and never get caught. Most cops think it's cool and ask questions haha. If I was in Cali, like you Beechkid, I'd probably would worry about your state's over-the-top liberal pollution crap, but Texans don't care that much haha.

Quick Reply: how much sound will i gain removing rear cats on 04