Flowmaster 10 vs. 40 vs. super 44

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster 10 vs. 40 vs. super 44

Hi guys, I have a 2003 f150 king ranch V8 5.4L. I am looking to replace my current stock muffler. I want a nice loud exhaust. The IMO the louder the better. I want to hear it even when in idle. but I also want it to be deep. I have heard good things about the flowmaster 10, 40, and super 44. I am wondering which one you recommend as the Loudest, best sounding muffler for my truck?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
If you want it louder and are just getting the muffler welded in place of the stock one, I say just get the stock muffler cut out and pipe welded in place.

That's what I did and it actually sounds really good. Especially for $25. It's loud, deep, and has a really good tone to it surprisingly. It only pops once or twice on the way down on a 3-4k rev. An added bonus is that cruising down the highway you can barely hear it until you get it to downshift on hard throttle application.

The reason I am recommending this is because it's hard to make these trucks loud with just a muffler swap due to their being 4 cats. And you said you wanted it loud, and doing what I recommended is the easiest solution to achieving that and like I said, It surprisingly sounds very good and I get compliments all the time.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM
However, if you insist on going with the muffler swap, of the three you listed, the 10 series will be the loudest.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 AM
I have had 2 F150's with the 5.4's, my first had the muffler cut off and had a dump pipe put on it where it'd been cut and it sounded amazing man. Not even joking.
Then my second one just has the stock muffler replaced with a 10 series. Still very loud, not as loud though.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Back when I first got my truck I ran it with just the cats and no muffler turned out in front of the rear passenger wheel. Sounded awesome, loud, drone wasn't unbearable at highway speed, didn't pop very often unless I was running it wide open. But then I moved to the city where cops actually listen for stuff like that when your coming through at 2am and had to put a muffler on it and ended up with a magnaflow. The sound is amazing from it not as loud as no muffler obviously but it's still a straight through design opposed to the chambered flow master style so it's louder than those.

Another cheap option would be something like a glass pack cherry bomb, like 30 bucks, and pretty loud too.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither!
Replace your stock cats with high flows, then run a magnaflow magnapack muffler (4x14).

Check out YouTube for some examples. This will sound MUCH better than any flowmaster setup.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
With all 4 cats I'm a fan of no muffler.

When i delete my rear two i'm prob going to run bullets

Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can get away without a muffler, go that route. Those 4 cat systems are well toned down and actually sound very nice straight. For me to say that really means something cause I hate raspy straight pipes.

Otherwise, Dynomax Bullet will be your loudest muffler with 4 cats.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM
I've run the 10's before and they are very aggressive and maintain a good tone. They were loud with the windows down and noticeable with the windows up.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey I don't mean to thread-block you but I have a quick noob question regauding the 10's. I'm looking to replace my stock muffler with a 10 series and I'm planning on dumping it just after the cab. Now should I just go SO or DO? Would it make a difference in sound or mpg on a 3V 5.4L? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Skidmark
Hey I don't mean to thread-block you but I have a quick noob question regauding the 10's. I'm looking to replace my stock muffler with a 10 series and I'm planning on dumping it just after the cab. Now should I just go SO or DO? Would it make a difference in sound or mpg on a 3V 5.4L? Thanks.
SI/DO won't make a sound or performance difference. A muffler swap won't make a fuel economy difference. The SI/DO will give you the option later down the road to run dual tailpipes given the chance you someday wish to. But, you could still run dual tail pipes later on with a single outlet muffler using a smooth transition Y pipe from Magnaflow.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
SI/DO won't make a sound or performance difference. A muffler swap won't make a fuel economy difference. The SI/DO will give you the option later down the road to run dual tailpipes given the chance you someday wish to. But, you could still run dual tail pipes later on with a single outlet muffler using a smooth transition Y pipe from Magnaflow.
That's what I figured, thank you for your time.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 10 vs. 40 vs. super 44