97 F150 Exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 Exhaust mods

97 F150 XLT 5.4L 4wd
I currently have stock exhaust from manifolds to cats. Cat-back is single in dual out Flowmaster.
The exhaust pipes have leaks everywhere. And the flomaster is all rusty. The Y-pipe is rusty and leaking.
What i would like to do is improve sound and torque. I hear true duals actualy drop low end torque. I tow my boat allot all over the country so i definately dont want to sacrifice torque.
What i am thinking is running new pipe from the manifolds. Then a Y-Pipe with no cats and no rear O2 sensors. then take that to a single in dual out flomaster and dual pipes out right behind the rear wheels.
I am considering buying an SCT SC3 Programmer. And using it to disable the rear O2 sensors.

Looking for any comments or suggestions on this. Also where can i get a Ypipe without cats for this truck.
What are your thoughts on
Headers on this truck. Id rather not spend that money unless my manifolds are leaking which im not sure of yet. But just looking for ideas and suggestions.

thanks in advance
Cody

Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why another flowmaster? Want it to rust out too?

Get a real muffler. Something stainless and a straight through design that promotes high flow, increasing torque, rather than a flowmaster which has chambers that kill torque.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was going to suggest longtube headers for the nice low end torque curve, and a quiet cat-back if you don't want to hear it all the time while towing.

Flow wise, I too would not recommend another Flowmaster unit, but if you are happy with the sound then don't let anyone put it down. They do offer almost all mufflers in t-409 now. A 50 Series will keep interior levels low with the sound of longtubes and an OR/Y.

If you overall want to just do the plumbing work and a muffler only, get your exhaust re-bent smooth, not wrinkled, mandrel would be even better but not very very necessary. 2.5" Y pipe, a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe connection joint ( dual 2.5" to single 3" ) and run a 3" intermediate pipe to a 3" inlet muffler with dual 2.5" exits. Will pull like stock, but better under throttle when your pulling your trailers. I have this setup with stock manifolds & cats and it is a nice improvement over stock, and a by far better improvement over my old '04 5.4s 2.5" true dualed exhaust.

Oh and one more thing, I imagine its obvious but if you are set on running an OR/Y, for one you will need custom tuned for it to run without cats properly, and it will be a definite inspection fail. Make sure you can still get passed before having to spend money later on.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 02-10-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
We don't have any vet testing so I'm not worried about inspection. And my buddy owns a tuning company he is going to hook me up once I buy the SCT sc3 tuner.
I'm not set on the flow master its just all I've known. I've had 40 series on 2 trucks now and all my buddies have 40series flow masters.
Does anyone sell prebent piping for my truck that I could use with the magna flow y? That way I can do it myself. Or will I have to have it custom bent?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by FireKracker50
We don't have any vet testing so I'm not worried about inspection. And my buddy owns a tuning company he is going to hook me up once I buy the SCT sc3 tuner.
I'm not set on the flow master its just all I've known. I've had 40 series on 2 trucks now and all my buddies have 40series flow masters.
Does anyone sell prebent piping for my truck that I could use with the magna flow y? That way I can do it myself. Or will I have to have it custom bent?
Ok sounds like you are pretty well set as far as tuning. That will wake up some torque nicely also I am sure you already know

As for exhaust, why not research for a new sound? There are a lot of nicer sounds than the flowmaster hollow sound in my opinion. Direct flowing mufflers perform better under throttle too, but not enough to sacrifice your choice if you prefer a chambered muffler.

Check out YouTube for some nice sounds.

As far as pre-bent pipes. Dynatech sells their longtube kit OR/Y for a couple hundred bucks. could try ordering one of those, unless you can get it hacked and removed cheaper then I would just stick to that. I said before mandrel bends isn't super important in this case, but if you can get it done all mandrel for cheap then you definitely should try. It will cost a little more but the uninterrupted flowpath will aid better performance.

There are a few sources that sell mandrel bent tailpipe kits too, I will link you to a site I would order from for their tailpipes only. when it comes to mufflers, I am very particular on the specs & dimensions so because of this I would prefer to never buy a muffler cat-back.

These guys offer tailpipes, with straight out, 45'd, or '90 exits, some tips, 2.5" tubing, aluminized & stainless, and mandrel bent. For just about $270.
http://www.truckexhaustkits.com/prod...haust-Kit.html

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Dynatech does seem to make anything for a truck as old as mine. Looks like 1999 is as far back as they go.
What would be the best performing muffler in your opinion? im sure i would be happy with the sound of any of them. I like a good deep sound generally and i like to be heard. but i dont like it to drownd out my stereo while towing down the interstate.
THis is what i'm thinking about from the Ypipe back.

But i still need to find some prebent pipe from the manifolds to the Y-pipe. And other ideas? My search isnt turning up anything.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if all the OP has had he will be disappointed in the Magnaflow...

Borla stingers or the Xr1 will be what I suggest he looks into

Old 02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Blowmasters to me at least, offer nothing but hollow, tin-like, drone-filled noise. Trust these guys in trying to point you in the straight through muffler route.

I know all you're used to is Flows and that's what all your buddies have, but shouldn't that be more of a reason to get something different and stand out from the crowd? I think it's time for the Flowmaster ship to sail, get attacked by pirates, and burned at sea to forever rest at the bottom of the ocean.

I think if you're going O/R Y-pipe you should either try the Borla Turbo-XL or even Magnaflow.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know if the off road y pipes for a 99 F150 will fit mine? on the summit racing web site it doesnt list 1997.

-DarrenWS6
i watched your video but the muffler part number you listed in your video isnt a SIDO its a single muffler. What was the part number of the muffler you are running. I like the sound of it. And it may be in my price ra

The borla are just too far out of my price range. Especially when i can get flowmasters at wholesale pricing.

Last edited by FireKracker50; 02-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by FireKracker50
Does anyone know if the off road y pipes for a 99 F150 will fit mine? on the summit racing web site it doesnt list 1997.

-DarrenWS6
i watched your video but the muffler part number you listed in your video isnt a SIDO its a single muffler. What was the part number of the muffler you are running. I like the sound of it. And it may be in my price ra

The borla are just too far out of my price range. Especially when i can get flowmasters at wholesale pricing.
My muffler is a single in/out muffler. I have a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe mounted right after it achieving my dual tails. A single muffler can easily put out dual tails this way.

This is the basic layout of my exhaust system. Here were my parts before installed. Only item not listed is a 3" intermediate pipe and my mandrel bent 2.5" tails.

Name:  2012-06-05_21-37-58_636.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  151.2 KB

And an installed shot of the tailpiping.
Name:  2012-06-09_12-54-20_215.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  221.5 KB

Name:  2012-06-09_12-55-12_602.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  231.4 KB

Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh I see now what you did.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Pretty crafty .

As far as OR/Ys between years, I do not believe the exhausts changed much for the '97/'03s. Thats why I also originally sent you the '98/'03 tailpipe link cause if your truck is that body it is supposed to have the same exhaust. The F250 remained the pre '97 till up to '98. But I can't 100% verify it as I haven't had any of those years or barely worked much with one.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Ok I am having no luck on finding OR/Y pipes to fit my stock manifolds.
And the dynotech long tube headers and OR/Y pipes would be well over a thousand dollars.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please

Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
You could just get the cats and factory Y cut out and then buy a Magnaflow Y-pipe crossover and let the shop fab up the rest of the piping from it to the manifolds and so forth.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM

x2 thats about the only option left. Having the OEM cats cut out by someone. Which may be very difficult to get done.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 Exhaust mods