Need some help on Exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help on Exhaust setup

Hey guys ive been reading posts in this forum for weeks now and I have a good idea on the setup I WANT but want to know how much it will help or hurt performance on truck. I have a 2000 XLT with the 4.2 v6 and about 144k on the odo. I know you guys advise against getting an exhaust on the 4.2's but this thing is way to quiet. I want to run an H pipe with 2.25" pipes and then have dual 14" magnapacks out the back(maybe 45'd). I want to maintain as much torque as possible but still give some sound. I've also thought about a 3" Magnaflow Y pipe into a si/do 14" Magnapack. Both will probably have 3.5" tips. Will these kill my torque? I want dual tail pipes thats for sure. Im finishing the Gotts mod tomorrow and will get custom tuning from 5 star after I work up the funds. Im looking to get as many ponies and ft-lbs of torque as possible out these mods.

Please dont say stock. I dont like the way stock sounds and definitely dont like the way stock looks. I truly need help on this. Exhaust systems are not my forte' and ive been reading and reading to help understand how different sizes of pipe and different types of mufflers affect systems. Ive read the Exhaust Guide thread page 1 to the end and just want a lil advice from those that are more knowledgeable about this topic.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you need yourself either a Flowmaster Super 44, or their 50 Series Delta. With a single 2.5" exhaust. If a V8 I would recommend a 3" single exhaust.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Sounds like you need yourself either a Flowmaster Super 44, or their 50 Series Delta. With a single 2.5" exhaust. If a V8 I would recommend a 3" single exhaust.
Hmmm I was trying to avoid those and get magnapacks but if they will sound better that works. Will true duals hurt my torque even if I go 2.25 piping? I really want dual tails.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2000xltguy
stock.
You said it not me. But it is a good idea!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by 2000xltguy
Hmmm I was trying to avoid those and get magnapacks but if they will sound better that works. Will true duals hurt my torque even if I go 2.25 piping? I really want dual tails.
Have you looked at YouTube? Someone on here was attempting nearly the same thing not too long ago. The chambered mufflers sounded a lot better on the 4.2 than the Maggies did. Of course it's all a matter of tonal preference. I don't have any specs for ya, but maybe a SIDO setup?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Yah I definitely like the sound better but im not sure if its worth the torque disadvantage. These things dont come with much from factory as we all know so the more torque the better.

Quick Reply: Need some help on Exhaust setup