New true dual system installed this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New true dual system installed this weekend

I had decided to go true duals on my 2001 HD and finally got it done this weekend. Took off the stock Y, added a Magnaflow X pipe, twin Magnaflow 14416 stainless mufflers, then out the stock HD tails. Everything done in 304 stainless. Damn, this thing now has the sound to go with the looks. Even my wife said it sounds good and that's the way it should have been.

Just a note to those of you thinking about taking out the stock Y pipe. I examined mine closely after it was removed and it is a very good part. There was absolutely no restriction in the stock unit like some are saying. No pipes partially blocking any passages. I can't see how an aftermarket would be any better. So if you are thinking about modding your truck and were considering trading out the Y I'd say save the money. Mine is a 2001 HD so I don't know if they are special or not. My Y had the O2 senser mounted right in the Y. I have a pic so I can post if needed.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:26 AM
Smile

Yours was probably an exception. Maybe because it's a Harley edition.

Mark

Old 07-16-2001, 08:46 AM
lrutt,

Please post the pics. I have been debating this 'Y' pipe thing for a while now and would like to see what it really looks like. Do you have a "finished product" pic also. Thanks in advance.

GSCrew

Old 07-22-2001, 01:46 PM
lrutt:

I'm wondering if you have lost any off of the low end at all? When I put my true duals on I know that I lost some, but I noticed that you had the X put on also. I'm thinking about putting on an X to get back what I lost plus get any gains that you might have experienced. Since you have the X, I want to find out.

Thanks...

Old 07-22-2001, 05:57 PM
Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I changed my exhaust for the fourth time about a month ago.

1. I originally changed the stock setup to the Gibson split-rear system. Better torque feel and helped in making a little more hp.

2. Changed muffler to a 40 series Flowmaster. Had a great sound but I lost some low-end torque. Mayber hp the same?

3. Didn't like the loss of low-end torque and decided to go with the Magnaflow engineered cat-back system. Stock 'Y' pipe, 3" in / dual 2 1/2" out split-rear.

After talking to my buddy, Speeder, he had noticed significantly improvement in his torque by replacing the stock 'Y' pipe with the Flowmaster 'Y' pipe. So I went back to my exhaust mechanic and discussed this change, but with the Magnaflow 'Y' pipe. My mechanic said let's run duals and install the Magnaflow 'X' design muffler.

4. True duals, 2 1/2" from cats. into a Magnaflow 'X' design muffler and 2 1/2" split rear. Instead of two mufflers and the 'X' pipe, I've got it in one, the muffler.

Great sound, much increased low-end torque, and making a little more hp with this set-up. This is the last exhaust change for a while!

Old 07-22-2001, 11:24 PM
<4. True duals, 2 1/2" from cats. into a Magnaflow 'X' design muffler and 2 1/2" split rear. Instead of two mufflers and the 'X' pipe, I've got it in one, the muffler. >

This is almost exactly the setup I got from Spintech. It has a well-engineered X coming off the factory cats, dual 2.5" pipes into a single spintech muffler, and dual 2.25" pipes out of the stock right real location. Ron at Spintech gave me a couple of really nice oval stainless tips. The sound is absolutely grin-inducing. Even my wife likes it...

I am quite impressed with the product so far. I will need another couple of weeks to really get a feel for it.

Ken

Old 07-23-2001, 02:53 AM
I had a '99 F-150 Lariat up until about two months ago when I purchased my '01 L. The Lariat had true duels from the factory, but one exhaust. I had the pipes cut off behind the cats and straight pipes run to both sides of the truck, no mufflers. It was bad and it added a lot of low end power, but it was VERY loud.

Old 07-23-2001, 07:24 AM
"I cut apart the pipe we removed & the measurment of the oval hole is 2 x 1 1/2 inches. This was going into a Gibson exhast."
This is what I found when I changed out the Y on my truck. I would say this is a Major restriction?
In my opinion it was. There is a definate difference in the way the truck runs.
Without a doubt.
Mine is a 97 so there ya go..

Old 07-23-2001, 07:45 AM
After a week of driving with the new system installed I do have a couple observations:

1. I can say with the X pipe I didn't loose any lowend. Didn't gain any but didn't loose any either. I consider that successful.
2. The Magnaflows put out a fantastic sound. At almost all points it sounds great.
3. I have a resonance at like 1700 to 1900 at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle (kind of the normal amount of acceleration setting) in the cab. At all other points there is no problem. The exhaust guy says that the Magnaflows themselves don't resonate like chambered mufflers. He states that in other instances it was a matter of adding or altering how the system was mounted to get rid of the resonance. Since there is several feet of parallel pipe and mufflers he thinks that may be the source. We will be making adjustments on that this week.

Otherwise, I like the results. Especiall since the HD dumps both pipes out the right side. You pull up next to some ricer and blast the throttle a little and give him an ear full. I love it.

Quick Reply: New true dual system installed this weekend