Crazy "Y" Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Crazy "Y" Question

If Edelbrock Performance mufflers don't have any bafffles inside (they are just fancy glass packs acording to the ads) can they be put on backwards without causing any problems? And if they CAN be run backwards can a SI/DO be flipped around and used as both a muffler and a Y collector at the same time?

Old 07-09-2001, 10:30 AM
Some SI/DO type pipes are directional. Pipes like the Magnaflow are just perforated, not baffled with louvers. It is possible if you verify with the manufacturer that a perforated type could be reversed. A louvered type could not though, it would introduce way to much turbulence and negate or reduce horsepower gains.

Old 07-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Cool

SCAdien,

I think Flowmaster makes a 2 in/1 out in their 40 and 50 series mufflers. The only concern I'd have is the need for an equalizer type of pipe (H or X pipe) before the muffler. Other threads refer to this and from what I am reading, it has some effect on performance. I am considering doing a 2 in/2 out, and there is a lot of talk about using an "X" pipe with this type of setup also. Anyone else have any other info on this that might be helpful?

GSCrew

Old 07-10-2001, 03:14 AM
GSCrew,

Check with the company to see if they can be reversed. By the way, good idea!

Just for the record, my '95 uses no Y-pipe, but has the two head pipes feeding into the forward cat. From there it is a single system. It also uses only one O2 sensor, mounted on a small crossover tube just before the pipes enter the cat.

Old 07-10-2001, 02:36 PM
SCAdien and Singmaster,

The flowmaster muffler I am refering to is designed with 2 inlets and a single outlet. It is flowmaster part number 524553, but is only available in their 50 series muffler line. There is no need to reverse it. The 40 series along with another model in the 50 series have a single inlet/dual outlet, infortunately they are designed to flow only one direction and would not work well reversed. Look at Flowmaster's website at www.flowmastermufflers.com, there are cutaway pictures of the mufflers. Hope this helps.

I am going to cut out the stock "Y" pipe run the 2 pipes into an "X" pipe, then a 2 in/2 out flowmaster 50 muffler, then dual tail pipes exiting at a 45 degree angle on both sides (I tow a travel trailer) with stainless tips. From what I have read, this setup will retain, possibly gain low end torque, sound and look good.

GSCrew

Old 07-10-2001, 07:38 PM
SCAdien,

For what it's worth, I used a Edelbrock RPM muffler on my 97 w/ 4.6L and liked it. It was a 2 1/2" si/so muffler that I used to replace the factory one. It was mellow and deep. I used it for about 4 months before the "true dual" itch caught up with me. It's in my shed now awaiting a new home.

Old 07-11-2001, 03:07 PM
Gscrew, once you do what you're planning, let me know how the performance improves. I want to go to a dual exhaust but i'm still trying to get the exact configuration down. thanks, Klaibs

Old 07-11-2001, 07:58 PM
Smile

My Flowmaster "Y" pipe has arrived. It will be installed tomorrow morning. I will report results.

Mark
SundayNiagara
BE THERE!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2001, 10:12 AM
klaibs27,

Will do, will try and post pics if I can figure out how. I am still looking for an "X" pipe though. I know Magnaflow makes a nice "X" pipe but I haven't been able to locate one locally and have not found it on the web yet. Anyone know where I can get a magnaflow "X" pipe and how much?? I am going to talk to Joe "the wonderful muffler man" and find out if he can make me one for a reasonable price.

Is posting the pic as easy as saving it to my hard drive as a jpeg or gif and attaching the file to the reply?? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

GSCrew

Old 07-12-2001, 07:23 PM
GSCrew,

Try the following link for magnaflow X-pipes:

http://www.magnaflow.com/03hardware.htm

Old 07-13-2001, 09:57 AM
Cool Goodbye Low End

I stopped by the "Fair Muffler" on my way home and we worked out the new system. The Y is coming out as is part of the pipe from the left bank. The O2 sensors are actually in the cats on mine so no wories there. From the right bank it's pretty much a straight shot. From the left bank there will be a 90 with a 5 inch radius. These two pipes will go into a backwards mounted Magnaflow (thanks Irutt) that will act as a collector. The 3 inch outlet (normally would have been the inlet) will go through a 3 inch pipe out the side in front of the wheel with a 3 1/2 inch tip.

I realize this will be louder but I hope I don't go around setting off car alarms.

I plan to get this in a week or so. I'll post the results when it's done.

Old 07-13-2001, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a winner to me. I'd order a 3" mandrel bent 90 degree piece from J.C. Whitney for the turn out the side.

Quick Reply: Crazy "Y" Question