high flow cats on 08 f150 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high flow cats on 08 f150 question

hey guys. i have a couple more questions about high flow cats for my truck.
1. i have 2 factory cats, the exhaust shop i went to told me i wouldnt gain much sound, true or false?
2. my factory cats have the o2 sensors in the middle of the cats, the guy at the exhaust shop told me that if i didnt have the same style cats put on, it wouldnt run right. Does any company make a high flow cat that type?

thanks in advance for answers

Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I think that guy is a tool. The stock cats are pretty restrictive, if you got Magnaflow Hi flows, they would make it much louder. All that has to be done to not get a CEL is to have the 02 sensor mounted after the catalytic converter.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by bigdog87
I think that guy is a tool. The stock cats are pretty restrictive, if you got Magnaflow Hi flows, they would make it much louder. All that has to be done to not get a CEL is to have the 02 sensor mounted after the catalytic converter.
would the truck run alright if i moved the o2 sensors?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by jakek88
would the truck run alright if i moved the o2 sensors?
Should have no problems at all, if properly installed. If you ever got a tuner, you could have them disable those 02s.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
i have an edge evolution. if i disable those would that risk the truck running to lean?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by jakek88
i have an edge evolution. if i disable those would that risk the truck running to lean?
Not if you can change the setting with that, then the computer would know it was okay.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford trucks have very restricted cats. Dodge and GM cats flow alot better which is probably what he means. Hes not too well educated with Ford cat systems. Yes you will gain a good amount of sound but realize your dealership may try to tell you your warranty will be voided for all mechanical parts related to exhaust.

You will have to move the rear O2s after the hi-flow cats if you can find a place willing to install. They will mount a bung in the pipe and re-install the sensor, you will not get an engine light. But if you just say screw the O2s ( which you shouldn't ) you may be able to disable the CEL for exhaust through the programmer settings or diagnostics.

The part # cats you would need to run are 94306, or 94106. They are both manufactured by Magnaflow Performance and are both different, 94306 is a T-304 stainless covered converter that absorbs very little sound, 94106 are natural finished stainless ( T-409 ) and absorb no sound, give a close to cat-less sound. Both available from Performance Peddler.

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I was told by my local shop that I had to have the cats with the O2 sensor mount in them...is this true or should I just try somewhere else or make them do what I want? Which is to just mount the O2's after the new hi-flows.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I was told by my local shop that I had to have the cats with the O2 sensor mount in them...is this true or should I just try somewhere else or make them do what I want? Which is to just mount the O2's after the new hi-flows.
Its false. I remember a couple guys in the past who had O2 mounted cats installed and they got CELs. Having the rear O2s mounted after the new cats will elliminate the chance because the hi-flow cats filter all gases and deposites without the restrictive OEM sound deadening screens.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Ok sweet, could I use these after the cats:

http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=154

Seems like it would make the install much easier, faster, and perhaps labor cheaper with less chance of something messing up.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Ok sweet, could I use these after the cats:

http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=154

Seems like it would make the install much easier, faster, and perhaps labor cheaper with less chance of something messing up.

Looks like it would.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Ford trucks have very restricted cats. Dodge and GM cats flow alot better which is probably what he means. Hes not too well educated with Ford cat systems. Yes you will gain a good amount of sound but realize your dealership may try to tell you your warranty will be voided for all mechanical parts related to exhaust.

You will have to move the rear O2s after the hi-flow cats if you can find a place willing to install. They will mount a bung in the pipe and re-install the sensor, you will not get an engine light. But if you just say screw the O2s ( which you shouldn't ) you may be able to disable the CEL for exhaust through the programmer settings or diagnostics.

The part # cats you would need to run are 94306, or 94106. They are both manufactured by Magnaflow Performance and are both different, 94306 is a T-304 stainless covered converter that absorbs very little sound, 94106 are natural finished stainless ( T-409 ) and absorb no sound, give a close to cat-less sound. Both available from Performance Peddler.

ok, thats some good info. ill consider. i probably have alreadry voided my waranty with the edge evolution programer, ive only use setting one and two, no custom tuning yet.
thanks alot man!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
check sig for video of hi flow cats. I know for a fact i didnt gain all this sound from a muffler swap! My 02's are mounted inside the cat, same way as factory piece. I went to a shop that told me the same thing about not being any louder. He also argued with me about having 2 cats under my truck. He insisted they all had 4

Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by jlstang351
check sig for video of hi flow cats. I know for a fact i didnt gain all this sound from a muffler swap! My 02's are mounted inside the cat, same way as factory piece. I went to a shop that told me the same thing about not being any louder. He also argued with me about having 2 cats under my truck. He insisted they all had 4
holy **** that sounds lovely.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
anyone have part numbers and/or link to the maggie hi-flows for a 2008 4.6??

Quick Reply: high flow cats on 08 f150 question