Magnaflow 3" SI/SO setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow 3" SI/SO setup

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm looking to run from the factory 2.5" Y pipe into a 3" magnaflow 3" in 3" out muffler (either the 14" (11219) OR 18" (11249)) then to their stainless tailpipe (15038). The only problem is that I can't seem to find a stainless transition to go from the 2.5" factory exhaust to the 3" on the magnaflow muffler. Any ideas here? Is it something I can buy online or can a local muffler shop take a 2.5" extention pipe and expand it to fit the muffler? Also, is the 2.5" on the truck measured outside or inside diameter? I'd like to just buy the kit, but I can't afford the hefty pricetag (it's a 97 4.6L and I don't want to put a lot of money into it). Magnaflow shows the transition that I need in item 15609 but I can't find it sold anywhere individually. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by natron80
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm looking to run from the factory 2.5" Y pipe into a 3" magnaflow 3" in 3" out muffler (either the 14" (11219) OR 18" (11249)) then to their stainless tailpipe (15038). The only problem is that I can't seem to find a stainless transition to go from the 2.5" factory exhaust to the 3" on the magnaflow muffler. Any ideas here? Is it something I can buy online or can a local muffler shop take a 2.5" extention pipe and expand it to fit the muffler? Also, is the 2.5" on the truck measured outside or inside diameter? I'd like to just buy the kit, but I can't afford the hefty pricetag (it's a 97 4.6L and I don't want to put a lot of money into it). Magnaflow shows the transition that I need in item 15609 but I can't find it sold anywhere individually. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Local shop should be able to fab something up for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
That's what I was thinking. I'm still not sure what muffler to use. I've checked out a lot of youtube videos. I couldn't find many with the 3" SI/SO setup though. I think the 14" might be too loud. I want a nice low powerful sound when I get on it and when it's idling, but I could do without the loud drone in the cab. I also don't want it to snap too much when I get off the throttle. What do you think?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suggest the 14". It will sound great especially on a SI/SO exhaust. Good choice on SI/SO. If I were you what I would do is get a 3" intermediate pipe to make it a true 3" system, best velocity flow with the 3" pipe, and have your OEM Y pipe chopped out and have a Magnaflow 2.5" dual in 3" single out Y pipe connector installed. Much better way to go over having 2.5" expanded to 3", and the OEM Y pipe is very restricted with its 2.5" dual in 2.5" single out.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 AM
According to UPS, I should get my 3" si/so 18" Magnaflow muffler tomorrow (Friday) and 3.5" 15 degree rolled tip. I already have a muffler shop lined up and will take it to them as soon as I can to get it all installed. They're going to run 3" piping from the 'Y' back. I'll let you know how they did it and how it turns out.

Good Luck.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I would suggest the 14". It will sound great especially on a SI/SO exhaust. Good choice on SI/SO. If I were you what I would do is get a 3" intermediate pipe to make it a true 3" system, best velocity flow with the 3" pipe, and have your OEM Y pipe chopped out and have a Magnaflow 2.5" dual in 3" single out Y pipe connector installed. Much better way to go over having 2.5" expanded to 3", and the OEM Y pipe is very restricted with its 2.5" dual in 2.5" single out.
Is this the right part number for the Y? 10778. It's not bad at around $25, but how much do you think it would cost to have a shop put it in? That seems it would be a lot of work.

Originally Posted by acruzomatic
According to UPS, I should get my 3" si/so 18" Magnaflow muffler tomorrow (Friday) and 3.5" 15 degree rolled tip. I already have a muffler shop lined up and will take it to them as soon as I can to get it all installed. They're going to run 3" piping from the 'Y' back. I'll let you know how they did it and how it turns out.

Good Luck.
Are you using the factory Y pipe, or doing what Darren suggested and replacing that too? Any Idea how much it's going to cost you? I'd like to hear some audio when you get it all done.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Is this the right part number for the Y? 10778. It's not bad at around $25, but how much do you think it would cost to have a shop put it in? That seems it would be a lot of work.
Yes thats correct. Everything should be around $150 installed.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Yes thats correct. Everything should be around $150 installed.
By everything you mean the entire system? Or just for the Y connector?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 AM
By everything you mean the entire system? Or just for the Y connector?
Everything installed for around 150.

BTW, Magnaflow doesn't really snap, unless you've got other stuff going

Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Hope you like the 18". I have it on my '09 and it is almost too loud.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
So do you think the best thing to do would be to Buy the parts online and just bring them to a local shop and have them put it all in?

Does this seem reasonable? I was looking at allmagnaflow.com and they seem to have pretty good prices. It looks like I can get the Y pipe (10778), Muffler (11219), and the Stainless tailpipe (15038) all for $140.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I called the muffler shop and they told me to bring in the Y but more than likely they won't have to use it. The Y itself on the '07 is at least 3" at some point so I'm only assuming they have an idea up their sleeve.

That price is about right. I wanted to get everything from Summitracing.com, but they didn't have the muffler or tip in stock to I went over to performancepeddler.com and they had everything.

Oh and yes, I'd suggest to buy everything online and take it to a shop. I was quoted a price of 120.00 for the installation/labor and their 3" piping.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by kodi
What setup do you have? Is it Single or Dual?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by kodi
Well I have 11" bodies with rear cats removed and they still aren't loud enough

Originally Posted by acruzomatic
I called the muffler shop and they told me to bring in the Y but more than likely they won't have to use it. The Y itself on the '07 is at least 3" at some point so I'm only assuming they have an idea up their sleeve.

That price is about right. I wanted to get everything from Summitracing.com, but they didn't have the muffler or tip in stock to I went over to performancepeddler.com and they had everything.

Oh and yes, I'd suggest to buy everything online and take it to a shop. I was quoted a price of 120.00 for the installation/labor and their 3" piping.
hmm, I don t know. My 2004s Y pipe ducks down to like 2.40" in some spots. Unless you measure yours yourself and verify it then I wouldn't believe it.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
the owner of the shop I went to wouldn't warranty the labor on the parts that I supplied. But if I bought the parts from him, everything would be included in the warranty. It was going to cost about the same whether I supplied the parts, or if I bought them from him, so I saved myself a 1.5 hour round trip to Summit.

moral of the story...make sure EVERYTHING is included in warranty

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 3" SI/SO setup