Magnaflow 3" SI/SO setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phatbak
the owner of the shop I went to wouldn't warranty the labor on the parts that I supplied. But if I bought the parts from him, everything would be included in the warranty. It was going to cost about the same whether I supplied the parts, or if I bought them from him, so I saved myself a 1.5 hour round trip to Summit.

moral of the story...make sure EVERYTHING is included in warranty
Well, for one, i'd get a better exhaust guy. My exhaust is warrantied for 1 full year and I supplied my parts.

I also bought Magnaflow tips and mufflers, which are lifetime warrantied for as long as they're on the truck, they're registered so i'm good to go if anything fails.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I went to a few shops today to see what it would cost to put in the Y pipe. I went to a local exhaust shop first. He said he could probably do it. He wasn't sure how long it would take though and the get $91/hr, so I don't know. Next I went to midas, I think they can do it too, but they can't do mandrel bends, so any part would have to be made of crimped aluminized steel. I don't know how well that would hold up, and it seems to defeat the purpose. The third place I went to, the owner basically said that magnaflow is crap and it's pointless to even put the new Y pipe in because the stock Y flows enough. Then started talking about this dual system they can put in for $230. They were closed so I didn't really ask about it.

I really like the idea of doing 3" all the way back, but it seems like it's going to take a lot, and I don't want to have someone weld in a bunch of crap that will rust out in a year or two. It looks like the way the stock Y is set up with the DS pipe coming in at about a 90 degree angle and the PS pipe going almost straight back, it would require a lot of fabrication to make it work.

Does anyone have a picture of what a completed 3" Y pipe install looks like. I can somewhat visualize it, but it would be nice to see what's involved. I think I might just end up going with the 2.5" to 3" extension pipe and go from there. I know it won't flow as well, and might not sound as good, but I don't want to spend a lot either. Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Well I received my 18" Magnaflow muffler today and tip from UPS. Nice, but when I went to open the tip box,,,I noticed it was the wrong one. I double checked my order and the fault is mine. I orderded the wrong freakin tip,,,geezz. I ordered the 2.5" in/3.5" out and I need the 3" in and 3.5" out. I called performancepeddler.com and they said to ship it back and I would get my credit card refunded. I reordered the CORRECT one this time for sure. Oh well, a delay with my install for sure.

Sorry about that Natron. I'll keep you posted though.

take care.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Well, for one, i'd get a better exhaust guy. My exhaust is warrantied for 1 full year and I supplied my parts.

I also bought Magnaflow tips and mufflers, which are lifetime warrantied for as long as they're on the truck, they're registered so i'm good to go if anything fails.
I got Magnaflow parts as well (12279) but like you say, I'm gonna have to find someone different next time. That's what sucks about living in a small town, have to drive towards the Metro area for competitive rates.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by natron80
Well, I went to a few shops today to see what it would cost to put in the Y pipe. I went to a local exhaust shop first. He said he could probably do it. He wasn't sure how long it would take though and the get $91/hr, so I don't know. Next I went to midas, I think they can do it too, but they can't do mandrel bends, so any part would have to be made of crimped aluminized steel. I don't know how well that would hold up, and it seems to defeat the purpose. The third place I went to, the owner basically said that magnaflow is crap and it's pointless to even put the new Y pipe in because the stock Y flows enough. Then started talking about this dual system they can put in for $230. They were closed so I didn't really ask about it.

I really like the idea of doing 3" all the way back, but it seems like it's going to take a lot, and I don't want to have someone weld in a bunch of crap that will rust out in a year or two. It looks like the way the stock Y is set up with the DS pipe coming in at about a 90 degree angle and the PS pipe going almost straight back, it would require a lot of fabrication to make it work.

Does anyone have a picture of what a completed 3" Y pipe install looks like. I can somewhat visualize it, but it would be nice to see what's involved. I think I might just end up going with the 2.5" to 3" extension pipe and go from there. I know it won't flow as well, and might not sound as good, but I don't want to spend a lot either. Any thoughts?
If an exhaust shop measures and bends right its not alot of fabrication. Pipe bending isn't as hard as it sounds so if they dont want to do certain work they're just lazy. My exhaust shop charges for the work, not by the hrs labor. It took my guy 2hrs to do my truck and my system looks great.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I went to a different midas today and they quoted me about $100 for labor plus any piping that they would have to use. I'm looking at $150 just for the Y pipe and installation. I think I might end up going with the $30 2.5-3" adapter instead. Like I said before, it hard to justify spending that much on a truck that's 12+ years old now. The pipe that I'm looking at buying is Walker part#53070. It looks like it should do the trick. Hopefully it will still sound OK.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 3" SI/SO setup