Outlaw Intake Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlaw Intake Installed!

First of this is one of the first bolt on kits I've worked on that was TRULY a bolt on! Everything was well made and even had clamps specific for the different sized attachment points. The kit is well made and well thought out.

The hardest part was removing the factory MAF, which if you realize the only way to do it is to shover the rubber piece securing the wire harness all the way in towards the MAF sensor, it's a breeze.

I only had to remove one MAS wire-plug harness under the factory airbox to ensure a good fit when attaching the Outlaw air box-and that I just pried off with screwdriver. The two bolts to hold the box are a little tricky, but not too bad.

The new oiless filter looks like a large, well shaped cotton (synthetic) element, that is also a lifetime filter, and should be cleaned once a year with water depending on conditions.

My biggest fear was the three inch body lift I had added...would it fit? Well obviously it did, with no other modifications to the box or attachment points...

SOTP...? Felt immediately quicker off of the line, raising the nose with a bit more authority as only an overweight, AWD, under geared Ford truck can!

Part throttle is where this kit seems to shine, and definately a bit more spirited (though it sounds more spirited). However, the day was at least 10-15 degrees cooler than when I drove it last, so the true test will be during a hotter day. Also, I would love to get my truck dyno tuned to see where it's at A/F wise. Like everything, I'm sure it is pretty far off LOL!

Sound? Louder when you get on it, sounds like factory at cruise (which I like).

Still lays down like a dog WOT above 4K in the upper gears (upper? Second and third!). I love Ford trucks, but they are pigs from the factory with the 260/350 HP/TQ 5.4's.

If you want a system that delivers everything a CAI system is supposed to deliver, I can endorse this system fully-it is also one of the less expensive ones and looks OEM.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice report.

Originally Posted by MiamiDave

Still lays down like a dog WOT above 4K in the upper gears (upper? Second and third!). I love Ford trucks, but they are pigs from the factory with the 260/350 HP/TQ 5.4's.
Custom tuning can fix that, and arguably, should be the first mod performed of the 'big three', in terms of 'bang-fer-buck'.

Enjoy!

bubba

Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 PM
So, how do you like it so far ? Would you recommend it ? Did it change your power or milage ?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyone there ???

Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Installed my Outlaw a few months ago. No problems. I love it. Small increase in mpg. Sounds like a growl at 2500 rpms. Definite increased throttle response. I would recommend it.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry, it definatley feels like there is some more power at certain points in the RPM range...the quality, sound, and simplicity of it of it makes it attractive, since I think most of these systems are w/i a few HP's of each other.

Have not had time to notice the MPG increase...

Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Any "Check Engine Lights" yet ?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 AM
~deleted~

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-05-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: ~sum maroons jes cain't be hepped lol~
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
No codes-though I have a 2-valve engine as well.

Also, the MAF is designed to read the additional air and compensate with fuel for it slightly. Also, I don't think it is getting that much more air than stock, just a straighter shot of it.

Further, if it was so lean with no compensation for it, I'd be getting pinging with the air/humidity A/C on all the time. This would be especially true with my bigger 33's and B/L which add drag. No pinging on 87 octane. So, I'm fine, but would love to dyno tune the truck for optimum economy and power....

Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by MiamiDave
No codes-though I have a 2-valve engine as well.

Also, the MAF is designed to read the additional air and compensate with fuel for it slightly. Also, I don't think it is getting that much more air than stock, just a straighter shot of it.

Further, if it was so lean with no compensation for it, I'd be getting pinging with the air/humidity A/C on all the time. This would be especially true with my bigger 33's and B/L which add drag. No pinging on 87 octane. So, I'm fine, but would love to dyno tune the truck for optimum economy and power....
You is fine - your MAF is of a totally different design ( in it's own fixed venturi tube), far less prone to the issues that can plague 04+ trucks with aftermarket intakes....

Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by UtahFX4
Any "Check Engine Lights" yet ?
Miami Dave has an 01. The 01s did not suffer from lean conditions.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by nick1911
Installed my Outlaw a few months ago. No problems. I love it. Small increase in mpg. Sounds like a growl at 2500 rpms. Definite increased throttle response. I would recommend it.
Since I noticed you have a 2007, I have a question for you. My 07 has the firewall insulation on the back side of the throttle body. This appears to be a update for 07s. The problem I am having with my outlaw intake is that the rubber tube does not clear this insulation and it creates a horrible creaking noise that is mostly noticed at slow speeds and going over bumps. Even at idle I can hear it at times.

Anybody else have this issue?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
pics, what does it cost?

Quick Reply: Outlaw Intake Installed!