Recommendation for Flowmaster exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After much research, I'm putting on a FM 50 series Delta today. I'm keeping the existing tail pipe and going with 2.5 inch instead of the 3 inch that most people seem to go with.

I can let you know later how it turns out!

[This message has been edited by WarrenC (edited 04-07-2001).]

Old 04-07-2001, 04:35 PM
Yes, that would be much appreciated! Thanks so much for your input!

Sincerely,
Dave

Old 04-07-2001, 08:22 PM
Well, I guess I can't give you a report until sometime next week. The guy who was supposed to do it was not available. But if you want it quiet in the cab, I believe the FM 50 delta would be your best option from what I've been able to gather. If you want real quiet, the FM 70 would be your best bet. I had a FM 40 on my last truck, and it wasn't that noisy. Sounded real good, actually. Just a little louder than I wanted this time.

Old 04-07-2001, 09:26 PM
I have the 40 delta flow single in single out. Sounds like 1960's muscle car quiet on highway. Hope this helps.

------------------
2000 XLT SUPERCAB, black, captian chairs
4.6 AUTO
ARE COVER
FLOWMASTER 40 si so, 3" air inlet to stock air box silenicer removed

Old 04-07-2001, 10:42 PM
Lightbulb

I think you should go with the flowmaster. I have an Xcelerator on mine, and it is a good deal loud. But a flowmaster would just give you that deep rumbling sound.

------------------
My F-150
  • XLT
  • Toreador Red
  • Super Cab
  • 4.6 Liter
  • v8
  • Xcelerator Muffler
  • Dual Exhaust
  • Rhino Sprayed-In Bedliner
  • Flairside
  • 35% Window Tint (Front 2 side windows)
  • 11" 7% dark tint band on front
  • Bugflector
    Pending
  • 33" tires (new rims)
  • Brush Guard
  • 3" Suspension Lift

THE BEST TRUCKS ARE BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 04-08-2001, 12:30 AM
Question Recommendation for Flowmaster exhaust?

Hey guys,
I just purchased an '01 F-150 King Ranch supercrew with a 5.4 liter V8. I want to purchase Flowmasters, but do not want such loud noise that it is disturbing, but still want the deep rumble and strong sound (some volume, but not to the point it is annoying inside the cab). Does anyone have any recommendations as to which series I buy? If so, please tell me. Thank you so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Dave

Old 04-09-2001, 02:34 AM
I have never had anything but luck with flow master they seem to be the best mufflers around, Max Mitcchell seems to know his stuff and he swears by Ultra Flows on his truck, Im not really sure about them but hey they are made out of stainless steel so that cant de too bad ask him he really knows alot better than me.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:49 AM
Cool

Elsupremo- If you want a "deep rumble and strong sound" using FMs, consider the louder models (like 40s reg or DF) because the multi-cat setup on these trucks only makes thing quieter. Tons of people have posted: "It wasn't near as loud as I thought it would be". Flowmaster's website includes sound values for all of their mufflers.
97Triton4.6- Flowmaster mufflers are a very good product if your needs are: aluminized steel, chambered, and with certain flow requirements.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:19 AM
Thumbs up

I have the 70 series, single in and out, and it is pretty quite, just a little louder than stock. A little deep growl when you stand on it.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 04-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Elsupremo, I finally got my Flowmaster 50 Delta series installed. I've only driven it about 7 miles, but I can tell you it is very quiet. Not as quiet as stock, but pretty close in the cab. You can hear it a bit if you get on it. I'm not sure about outside yet, except at idle it's still pretty quiet. A little throatier sounding, though.
From what you said, I'd suggest the FM 40 or FM 40 Delta for you.

Old 04-10-2001, 09:33 PM
Question

Max,

Where is Flowmaster's web site located? I have tried to find it but not been able to, Welll I did find one, only there wasn't any sounds on it. Thanks

Old 04-10-2001, 09:54 PM
dave,
i went with the two chambered flowmaster, in 3" and out 2.5. x 2. i ran my pipes out the back wich keeps is from resinating in the cab. i also went with 24" crome tips that are 3" round. it sounds realy good and when the windows are up it is not loud at all. your sound is going to depend on how many chamber your muffler has and when you take out the exhuast and the tips and the size of the pipes, hope that helps!

take care, lattimer

------------------

Old 04-10-2001, 10:50 PM
Thank you all so much for your help! It is really giving me an insight as to what my truck needs. One thing though, would you mind telling me if you have the 4.6 Liter or the 5.4 liter V8? That would really be wonderful. I appreciate it so much guys.

Sincerely,
Dave

Old 04-10-2001, 11:19 PM
I've got the 5.4, and I heard it when my girlfriend drove it away. Sounded nice.

Old 04-11-2001, 12:42 AM
Cool

I also have the delta flow 50 series SUV system and it gets a little louder with age. I have had it since the end of January and I think it sounds great under any amnt of throttle. I do wish it had a little more sound at idle. It is actualy loud enough even slow idling through a parking lot just not at a stand still. The truck has 3 converters so maybe you can't get enough at idle without geting to loud at throttle. Most people would consider the "not to loud" tight throaty sound to a quality engine and thus vehicle. Too loud always starts to sound a little "high school" and of course not load enough will not give us the required rise in the pants. But for sure it now has bordered on noisy when you give it any gas at all so don't over do your choice thinking this system is to quiet. By the way I got mine at Summit Racing for the same as on line store and they payed freight, and its one big heavy box! System #17226 sgle in dual out the rear corners behind the wheels Force II. Hope some of this babble helps.

------------------
1999 oxford wht F150 4x4 s/c, 5.4, XLT, ORP, Tow pkg, Alpine/Infinity, K&N, GlassTite over the rail style topper.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Flowmaster exhaust?