'05 Remote Start Hard Wire Project Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Remote Start Hard Wire Project Questions

I purchased a remote start for my truck used off the forums quite some time back. Only after receiving it did I realize that the remote start was indeed ford and would work with my truck, but the plugs were not the ones required to use with my truck. I sort of temporarily called my losses with plans to eventually come back some day and hard wire it. That day has come and now I have a few questions.

According to the PDF document for the remote start, the main harness has wires for:
Ignition Input/Output
HVAC Output
Starter Output
Key-in-sense Input
Battery

These wires should be T'd into the Ignition Switch on the truck according to the PDF file.

Now the truck wiring diagram informs me that the ignition switch contains these wires:
Voltage supplied in Start and Run
Key removal inhibit solenoid control
Voltage supplied at all times
Key warning switch, switch sense
Voltage in Run or Accessory
Voltage supplied in Start

So, to me all the wires that are needed are present but the HVAC. Maybe I'm missing something and HVAC has a meaning I'm not aware of, but I'm trying to figure out what it is and where it should go. It was apparently meant to be something in the ignition switch, I'm just not sure what. Hopefully some gurus on here can help me out.

I have both wiring diagrams in .pdf file and can provide them if needed. I just want to get this thing figured out so I can finish this install.

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you convert the diagrams to JPG and post them ?

Not too sure what the HVAC input is for the Code alarm / Ford RMST.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Sure can, will do that tonight.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Here is the wiring diagram that was provided for the RMST kit. At the top left you will see the list of wires it asks to be hooked up. The RMST module has these labeled a little differently. In the same order as the diagram:
Ignition 1 Input/Output
HVAC 1 Output
Starter Interrupt (Motor Side)
Key-in-sense Input
Battery

Here is the section of the '05 Ford F150 wiring harness showing the ignition switch pin-out.

(a little hard to read from the book being a scanned in version)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM

thanks, only needed to see the RMST page.

If you look at 13-9, the Black w/ light green stripe wire makes the most sense for the HVAC operation.

this is from the RMST/RKE owners manual, page 6, pre heating / cooling, is where I am getting the SWAG from. Never had to DIY this before, always had the Ford harness for it.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM

Okay, so that would be pin 6 on the ignition plug. I will try that out, thanks!

I never really wanted to do it this way, but it has sort of led to that. Any possibility of finding that same plug somewhere and ordering both ends of it? I know the chances of that are probably slim, but maybe worth a shot.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM

If Ford has the set, it would be in the pigtail / connector catalog.

From the connector sticky at the top of the page :

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Look, that HVAC wire is meant as an accessory output NOT IGNITION! output from the alarm. And can easily be found using the DC Voltage portion of your DMM (you do have one right...?). If this does not make sense you need to take this to an experienced technician at a local car audio or Ford shop.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Low_e_Red can you explain why the HVAC wire is in the harness that pigtails into the Ignition Switch on the factory ford harness then? It must correspond to one of the wires that is located in the Ignition Switch on the truck according to how the remote start is wired along with how the wiring diagram displays the information? I have no problem wiring it up to where I think it should go. But I'm trying to figure out how or where it was originally supposed to be wired on the ignition switch.

I appreciate your help and comment back, but I do not appreciate your demeaning attitude in your comments.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Back at the HO today with access to the diagrams.

Here is the Ford install direction for the RKE/RMST product

Sorry I did not have access to them yesterday, only the EVTM cell 13 to make the decision from.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Thanks that confirms it for me. I guess if I would have just hopped up a few pages in the document I would have seen that.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Watson91
Low_e_Red can you explain why the HVAC wire is in the harness that pigtails into the Ignition Switch on the factory ford harness then? It must correspond to one of the wires that is located in the Ignition Switch on the truck according to how the remote start is wired along with how the wiring diagram displays the information? I have no problem wiring it up to where I think it should go. But I'm trying to figure out how or where it was originally supposed to be wired on the ignition switch.

I appreciate your help and comment back, but I do not appreciate your demeaning attitude in your comments.
Watson, I appreciate your need for help. However, you are installing something that you obviously do not understand how works and what the wires detail. Therefore, when it malfunctions depending on what you have messed with may end up trashed, then people like me have to deal with it and spend time to trace every wire or circuit. Or some may just swap parts... All because you do not know how to test the wires you are dealing with and come to your own conclusions. Yes, the tech manuals might be nice and are a great STARTING point but that doesn't mean they are accurate. Many times vehicle MANU's will change colors with out notation due to being out of that color wire or a bad run.

But FYI, on the accessory circuits (notice I said Accessory...) you will have the HVAC, Radio and other Accessories. AKA non-essentials, those you would find on the Ignition or IGN 2 circuits (There isn't an IGN2 on that btw...). Now, Im so sorry that you missed my southern charm earlier and couldn't pick up on the truly helpful attitude I might have had. Next time, Ill remember to put it on youtube so you can catch my inflections...

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 07-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM

My original post was to ask the meaning of the HVAC in the remote start harness and the possibility that someone may know off hand what pin it was on the switch. Simple question, I didn't know nor had a basis to know so I wanted to ask someone who might.

I must have hit a sore spot as I never meant to get any ones panties in a wad over asking the what I thought was simple question simple answer. Don't worry if it doesn't work I will fix it and I won't be putting anyone out.

As for wires I had planned to go to pin 6 instead of the black/lt green wire because of the exact reason you stated. I'm a lot more familiar with electronics and electrical than you may think, but I'm not here to say that I'm a know it all and I'm not to proud to ask if I need help. I understand your point that I need to get in with a multimeter and probe the wires, I can handle that no problem. But my concern was that I wasn't sure what the reason for the HVAC was on a remote starter and because of this I can probe wires all day long and get no where.

In the end I don't want to start a pissing match over wiring a remote starter into my truck. From your help and SSCULLY's I am sure that I know what to look for when I wire it. I appreciate the help I did receive though.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:36 AM
So let me just spell it out for you... (Its the internet, everything is spelled...)

12v+ aka Constant is 12v+ during Key in OFF, ACC, RUN, START (LGn/Vt)
12v+/0 aka Accessory is 12v+ during Key in ACC, RUN (Bk/Gn)
12v+/0 aka Ignition is 12v+ during Key in RUN, START (L/Gn)
12v+/0 aka IGN 2 is 12v+ during Key in RUN (N/A on this vehicle)
12v+/0 aka Starter is 12v+ during Key in START (Rd/L)
That is how a key cylinder is mapped.

ACC is HVAC.

Quick Reply: '05 Remote Start Hard Wire Project Questions