02 F150 odometer reads dashes and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F150 odometer reads dashes and won't start

Hello all,

Pulled into a restaurant Friday night and when I came out 30 minutes later I could not get the truck started. It seemed to crank fine but I noticed when I turned the key to "RUN", the odometer displayed dashes "---------". Battery seems to be good as it seems to crank fine. Towed it down to my mechanic and yesterday he tried reading any codes that might have registered but he said that the reader would not communicate with the computer (pcm?) I've been doing some research and it seems there are some varying solutions like fuel pump relays, ecm relays, bad instrument cluster and so forth. My concern is that the computer took a dump because it can't communicate. On researching the other fixes, it seems like maybe they were at least able to communicate with the computer. Is there anything that would cause the computer to not communicate with the scanner and not be the computer itself? Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The obdll port uses the same power the cigarette lighter uses......check that fuse.....

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chroma
Hello all,

Pulled into a restaurant Friday night and when I came out 30 minutes later I could not get the truck started. It seemed to crank fine but I noticed when I turned the key to "RUN", the odometer displayed dashes "---------". Battery seems to be good as it seems to crank fine. Towed it down to my mechanic and yesterday he tried reading any codes that might have registered but he said that the reader would not communicate with the computer (pcm?) I've been doing some research and it seems there are some varying solutions like fuel pump relays, ecm relays, bad instrument cluster and so forth. My concern is that the computer took a dump because it can't communicate. On researching the other fixes, it seems like maybe they were at least able to communicate with the computer. Is there anything that would cause the computer to not communicate with the scanner and not be the computer itself? Thanks!!
My truck did the same thing when my edge evolution screwed up my pcm. After having the truck reflashed at ford everything is working great.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Talked to the mechanic a little bit more about the problem. He is getting a good power source to his computer scanners. It seems he was having trouble communicating with the PATS module and the PCM. They tried reflashing several times and the PCM still didn't seem to work very well. However, he was able to communicate with other modules easily (ABS etc) . After the PCM reflash, I believe he was able to get some random error codes regarding problems with the vehicle speed sensor, auto delay circuit, and airbag/seat belt warning but it still wasn't working like it should. They are suggesting a remanufactured computer that runs about $400. I'm supposed to let them know today if I want to go this route because it would take 3-4 days to get it in? He really seems to think it's the computer and he tells me he checked everything else thoroughly so I don't know what else to do.
Any thoughts??

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM
My 2002 F150 5.4L Supercrew is doing the same thing. However, it only does it when the engine is hot. I'm getting the same dashes on the odometer with the ignition switch in the "run" position. If I let it cool for 30 minutes it will start up and the odometer will show the mileage instead of the dashes.

The only mod's on the engine are a K&N Air Filter assembly and a G-Force Performance Chip. I am suspecting that the performance chip has caused a problem with the PCM. I'll check the fuses as suggested above but I will probably have to let the dealer look at it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tommygun99
...<snip>...
The only mod's on the engine are a K&N Air Filter assembly and a G-Force Performance Chip. I am suspecting that the performance chip has caused a problem with the PCM. I'll check the fuses as suggested above but I will probably have to let the dealer look at it.
Rather than have the dealer remove the chip for shop labor rates, why not set it back to factory PCM load, disconnect the battery, reconnect after 5 min and complete 2 drive cycles 1st ?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
This is often something as simple as a bad PCM power relay.

If your odometer goes to dashes and the SES lamp fails to prove-out during power-up, it usually means the PCM is not receiving switched ignition power.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Rather than have the dealer remove the chip for shop labor rates, why not set it back to factory PCM load, disconnect the battery, reconnect after 5 min and complete 2 drive cycles 1st ?
SSCULLY, thanks for the suggestion. I removed the so-called "performance" chip and disconnected the battery then reconnected it some time later. I have had only one additional occurrence of the starting problem and that was not too long after the reset. Since then the truck starts every time and performs flawlessly.

Thanks again, TG

Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
This is often something as simple as a bad PCM power relay.

If your odometer goes to dashes and the SES lamp fails to prove-out during power-up, it usually means the PCM is not receiving switched ignition power.
Holy... freaking... crap.

I have a 2011 F150, and I'm wiring in a bunch of switched and wiring right now. I think I shorted something, as my interior lights went off, and then the truck wouldn't start. I got the 'dashes-of-death', and 4 warnings from the productivity screen (oil temp, tire pressure, etc).

I checked EVERY...SINGLE...FUSE in both fuse boxes (there is a TON of fuses in these things), and not one was gone, also troubleshot all the wiring and stuff.

It was 11PM, I have to work tomorrow, not going to lie, I was feeling pretty ****ty.

I read your post, and even though I've never had a failed relay in my life, I decided to trudge back out to the garage and try it. I pulled the relay, shorted the socket, and HOLY HELL away it went.

You are pretty much my hero right now. Thanks SO much.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 AM
I know this post is fairly old but I am having the same issue. I have a 2002 Ford F150 4.6L. Truck was working fine, now it cranks but wont start. Through some internet research I was able to retrieve the two HEC diag DTC codes:

d262 - missing SCP message
9600 - PATS ignition key transponder signal is not received

I tried all three keys I have to the truck none of them work, also tried disconnecting the battery and letting is set (I let it set overnight) then reconnecting it, I even tried talking to a JustAnswer.com mechanic and he indicated that he thought I needed to replace the Instrument Cluster. That seems a bit over the top but I just wanted to see what the community thinks before sending this thing to the dealer.

Changing out the PCM Power Relays seems a lot easier and cheaper then replacing the Instrument Cluster.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM
We not sure if it was just corroded contacts or not but I swapped the PCM Power Relay from my 2001 Ford Expedition and my truck started right up. Then I put the PCM Power Relay from the truck into the Expedition and it started up as well. Not sure what the hell happened, but everything is working as it was now.

Thank you Jesus!

Old 10-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Fix

Originally Posted by chroma
Hello all,

i had the identical problem, I cleaned the battery connectors and replaced a blown blue 15 amp fuse in the fuse/relay box under the hood, this allowed it to start right up, I checked the manual for the fuse diagram and the blown fuse powered the PCM.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM
ops
I have a 2010 F150 was driving when the speedometer and tach quit working. When I tried to restart the anti theft light is flashing and wont start. Replaced the PCM and have the same issue, dashes on distance to empty and anti theft flashing

Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
2010 system is nothing like the 2002 system in this thread.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM
ops
Any advice on 2010

Quick Reply: 02 F150 odometer reads dashes and won't start