CB Radio Antenna questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post CB Radio Antenna questions...

OK, I know I've had similar discussions before, but this one's got a twist.

Went to Citizen's 2-way in Dearborn Heights, MI to have my antenna installed. I wanted to go with a white K-40 permanently mounted through the roof. Well, with the sunroof, this really shouldn't be too much of a problem: I should be able to mount it farther back on the roof, right?? WRONG!! Turns out, the headliner is glued right to the inner roof brace for the most part, and there's no way to get it out of the way enough to get into the cavity above the headliner to find a place to mount the antenna. I'm pretty much screwed on the permanent mount front, I guess.

So, what're my other options? Obviously, there's still the magna-mount option. However, it's prone to both scratching the roof, as well as getting knocked off in tight garages, not to mention the unsightly wire always in the way... Also, there's the bumper mount or hood edge option (both look tacky in IMHO)...

Suggestions?? Recommendations? Knowing what I know now, if there was a way to mount the antenna before they installed the sunroof, I would have had it done, but hind-sight is 20/20, right?

I dunno.....

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof($1000), built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners($36), Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard($700), Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio($100) with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now [$40]), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way... $140) Fog Light Switch mod(free!!!), Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbar w/ 2" stainless steel ball($80), Gray Tek Style Soft Tonneau Cover($250), Gray Line-X Bedliner ($450).
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, Chrome ORP rims.
93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain, leaky exhaust.

Old 05-16-2001, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some cell phones and UHF radios use a glass mount. the antenna glues to the outside & a reciever glues to the inside with the antenna cable on it. the RF transmits through the glass. my company UHF radio outputs 45w through one.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-Airraid-Perma-cool electric fan & controller

Old 05-17-2001, 12:04 AM
Hey GI Joe

Yep, sun roof in the way. I mounted one one time, going through the dome light. Still not an easy job. And if you wreck the head liner or?? $$$$

I use mag-mount K40 on roof of my 99 SC. Have snug-top on bed,but enough room between cab & st, to drop coax,(dont see coax) under body found hole in frame, had rubber plug, pulled it out and fished coax up into cab floor, under seats to radio, which is mounted vertical, just below ash tray.

Works great, looks, well? for me it ok. Of course there are other ways, but permanent in roof, gonna be tough. I park outside, so taking antenna off not a problem. Shouldnt scratch paint as theres a covering on bottom of antenna base, but guess its possible.

Bumper mount, yes, fender mount, yes, these all hide the coax, Vertical ball mount, yes.

K40 & my Galaxy DX 959, smokin

Good luck. OT

Old 05-17-2001, 07:47 AM
Cool

A K-40 will suck the color out of the paint over a long period of time. I own one myself but only use it when I go on vacation. I also am looking for a way to mount different antenna. K-40 is great antenna but it literally sucked the color out of the paint on the last vehicle I owned.

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 auto
K&N Gen11, Superchip, fiberglass tonneau cover
Borla cat-back exhaust

Old 05-18-2001, 12:02 AM
Cool

Hey Joe,
what about this:

Mounts to the lip of the rear door & angles to any position. Go to http://www.cometantenna.com

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

My 2000 F-150

It's A KC Thing....You Wouldn't Understand!!!

Old 05-22-2001, 06:35 PM
Gi Joe-
I have the K40 mag on top of truck. Took coax and wedge it between the rear window and skirt around window, it then runs down under the truc along frame to a hole in pass. floor panel, htru the hole under carpet, behind vent then out top of vent to cb. The only wire exposed is bout a foot at base of antenna. Use soapy water to lube your coax when wedging, much easier!
I tried the third brake light but it was to tight for my liken!

Old 05-22-2001, 11:58 PM
Joe, I went with the hood edge mount. They say the roof has the best reception followed by the hood edge mount. I did not want to drill in the paint and stayed away from the roof. I installed the antenna on drivers side and really do not think it looks that bad, plus since the drilling is done under the hood it can be removed with no holes left in the paint on the outside if you do not like it. I am not familiar the antenna you mentioned, but I used a silever antenna and maybe the color would help.

------------------
98 5.4L, 4" Rancho Suspension with 33" BFG on 16" Weld Racing Rims, Chrome Brush Guard, Stainless Stell Steps, Alpine Stereo with 4 5X7 MB Quards run by an Alpine approx. 400 watt amp and 4 He2 Rockford's 10" subs run by a 800 watt Rockford amp, and CB and Scanner

Old 05-23-2001, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Spargo, Thanks...

It looks like that will work quite well for me... I think I could use the K-40 roof mount on that bracket and get it to work... but it looks like I'm stuck using the magna-mount for this weekend...

-Joe-

Quick Reply: CB Radio Antenna questions...