Starter problem ....Time for a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starter problem ....Time for a new truck?

I have had too much problems with my starter I am now going on my 4th it is still under warranty but my NEW truck has had to be towed 4 times in the last 3 years all due to the starter.I bought a new truck so I would never have this problem.Have anyone ells had this problem? Some times I can start it with a ford certified hammer key just bang on the starter a few times and presto. If you by a new ford you'd better get AAA and after owning a ford I am going to AA.I love my truck but the love is fading fast.

Old 05-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Angry

Did I say 4th I meant 5th starter it is so hard to keep track.........Does anyone know a good lemon law lawyer in southern California I have 1 month left on my warranty!

Old 05-04-2001, 10:26 PM
What year is your truck? My Co. vehicle is 1997 F-150 S/C w/ 4.6L Triton. It has 164,000 miles & still has the orginal starter, alt., battery and engine, diff., trans. & body.
Yes, the wiper blades have been replaced (1) time with OEM Motorcraft".

------------------
1999 Teal Blue F-150 S/C
4.6L, XLT, 3.55 L/S 4x2
Tow pkg., Rhino liner, Engine block heater & Swiss hard toneau cover. Premium sound
255/75 R16 Generals-owl
This" is Mama's pride"

Old 05-04-2001, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear about all the bad news. Do you happen to know what is going bad on the starters? Is it just the selnoid or is the bendix (gear inside at front of starter) not engaing or disengaging properly. It just doesn't make sense to go through that many starters without having some other problem. Does anybody know if there may be any kind of starter shims that cadenco may need to use?

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed 2 tone royal blue w tan bottom, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests

Current Mods
K&N Filter
Xact Plug Wires- 8mm
Ventshade side window deflectors,read window deflector, bug guard, headlight and taillight blackouts
custom hand painted Ford emblems on door jamb guards and under hood on plastic intake cover
plastic mud guards
custom 4x4 off road graphics
Ford hitch cover and license plate frame
Custom carpet liner (protects factory carpet)
Slyvania Cool Blue Headlight and fog lamp bulbs
Pioneer 6 disc changer
Whistler 1650 radar detector
oh yeah, one custom dent and scratch from a deer the night before deer season

Old 05-06-2001, 01:28 PM
I can tell you from my experience, that i've had 2 starters replaced on my 99 F150, on the first one the starter cable was corroded after 13,000 miles, on this second one it did exactly the same thing, i could see it was the starter cable again, if i hit it just right with a tire iron it would make contact and start, I've had a 97, 99, and i just picked up my 01 last week, my previous 2 had the 4.2 in them, this one has the 4.6, i read some of the horror stories some of these guys have and can honestly say i have never had major problems with my trucks, in fact i still have a 91 ranger with 160,000 miles on it and have never had any major work to it, the tranny is starting to go now, but i think thats expected after that many miles. Dont know what they found wrong with your starter situation but i hope they get it fixed for you.
Dave

Old 05-08-2001, 01:13 AM
Question

I have 31,000 miles on my 98 f150 I just got it back today and ford replaced the battery , both battery cables, ground cable and a new starter. I hope this will work I just do not know what else to do?

------------------
98,150,Excab,4x4,Lariat, Light prairie tan,4.6 auto,Super chip,Crome nurf bars,Orp,3.55ls,6-disk Changer,Electronic shift 4x4,Towing pkg, AC,Bed liner,Alarm Ecsondido, CA

Old 05-08-2001, 01:15 AM
what are starter shims?

------------------
98,150,Excab,4x4,Lariat, Light prairie tan,4.6 auto,Super chip,Crome nurf bars,Orp,3.55ls,6-disk Changer,Electronic shift 4x4,Towing pkg, AC,Bed liner,Alarm Ecsondido, CA

Old 05-08-2001, 01:22 AM
I'm not for sure if Ford uses them or not but they come in a varying thickness of metals and you place them in between the starter and the block around the mounting bolts of the starter. They are used to achive the correct angle, so that the starter and flywheel mesh right. From the sounds of your problems you don't need them, unless you are tearing the teeth off the gears of the starter.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems,and much more to come

thomaswright5714@hotmail.com

Old 05-08-2001, 01:25 AM
We had this problem with a ford truck at my work. After like 5 starters they (ford dealership) decided to check out the flywheel (gear-ring) and realized it was worn just enough to cause problems. No problems since the new flywheel.

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4x4 SC 4.6L Auto, Class III hitch, Pioneer Premiere deck, Boston speakers

Old 05-10-2001, 11:27 AM
When I first got my truck it started really loud like grinding but I just did not know better, after ford replaced the starter the new starter was much quieter. how did ford inspect the fly wheel did they take it off? or used the small hole? how did your first starter your starter sound?

------------------

Quick Reply: Starter problem ....Time for a new truck?