is it just me... or is there a fan that cools the guage lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post is it just me... or is there a fan that cools the guage lights?

That's all I can figure it is... if I shut off my 2000 F-150 when the lights aren't on, no sound... if the lights are on and I turn off the lights, I can hear a fan behind the panel whirring down then finally stopping. Is this what its for or am I totally nuts?

------------------
Matt Adams
Littleton, CO
1994 Ford Explorer, highly modified ( http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/ )
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 5.4L Auto w/ 3" dual exhaust, rhino lining, custom stereo, off-road and tow packages, and much much more! (no page yet)

Old 01-05-2001, 04:02 PM
Cool

It's actually the little squirrel in the cage that's back there. It takes him a little while to jump off the wheel when you turn the lights off.

Read your manual very carefully. It says that the 2000 models should never be fumigated. If you do, you'll have one pi$$ed off squirrel!

In other words, I really don't know what you're hearing.

Old 01-05-2001, 06:30 PM
You're nuts! Go get a lithium prescription soon. Everybody knows Ford trucks are the pinnacle of automotive engineering and manufacturing quality excellence. F150s don't make clicking, thumping, buzzing, clunking, whirling, coughing, wheezing sounds EVER. NEVER. Heck, Lexus uses 'em as a standard for cabin NHV (noise, harshness, and viration).

I don't know either. The squirrel theory actually sounds good, but I think they now use the smaller Chipmunks to conserve space (1999 and earler had squirrels).

Fuel pump pressurizing the fuel line? HVAC system changing a vaccuum level of valve position? Secret satelite radio transmission of "All clear for invasion" to the aliens hiding on the dark side of the moon?

Old 01-05-2001, 08:47 PM
LOL too funny... seriously though... I can leave the car shut off, turn ont he headlights, some fan starts spinning... it's not like its really a problem, I just like to know what every little noise is that its making .

Old 01-06-2001, 08:40 AM
Question

I hear what sounds like a power antenna going down, when walking away from my truck and it's really puzzling!

------------------
'98 White Lariat

WustaMass, Where we pahk ar cahs!

Old 01-06-2001, 08:59 AM
...and drink soda instead of Pop,

and sun-bathe or swim at the showa.

Old 01-08-2001, 12:55 AM
well if Id on't get an answer soon, Im just rip apart the dash until I find it! LOL

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2001, 07:50 AM
Lightbulb

fourhour,

do you have the automatic suspension leveler on your lariat? that might be the sound that you hear when walking away. if you do, there's a switch to disable it in the passenger-side kick panel to test out if that's the sound you are hearing.

By the way, thanks for the info on the connectors for the remote start a few weeks back. got it put in the F250 this past weekend and all's working fine.

Old 01-09-2001, 10:24 AM
Wink

It's not a fan, it's a video recorder hidden in the dash so that Ford and government can see who really is at fault in case of an accident. They are especially interested in the high incidence of nighttime rollover accidents.

Don't worry about it, though, they haven't decided if the tapes are admissible yet.

Old 01-09-2001, 05:05 PM
Wink

Hey Hedgehog, Thanks for the info. Will look into the auto suspension when the weather improves. Glad to hear that you installed your remote start. Did you run into any problems or snags? Hey check out the guy with the funny handle mocking ah accents. LMAO!

------------------
'98 White Lariat

Old 01-10-2001, 10:02 AM
Accent? What accent?

Only real problem that I had is the instuctions had one conflicting note about which wire to attach one lead to.

One sheet said use the "Ignition 2" wire. Another page said connect the same lead to the "Ignition 3" wire.

I went for Ignition 2. The fan wouldn't power up when the remote started. Found the other sheet which said touse ignition 3. reattached there and now it works fine.

I now know why people pay others to do this. It will be easier if I do it again but I'll have to think long about that.

Then again, I shouldn't need to redo this truck again.....

Old 01-10-2001, 05:08 PM
Talking

Okay, so may you're not a native! (hehe) I don't recall that ignition wire problem. I did connect to all ignition wires as instructed, but the radio won't work. Okay by me though as I usually leave the CD player ON and this would cycle through my favorites anyway. What brand was the remote start? I have to install a previously purchased one in my bride's Villager (I have experience with this one) and a friend is hinting around to install one in his 83' Crown Vic. (Winter Minter and he has to go three flights to start now. Yeah, it's one of our infamous three deckers!)

------------------
'98 White Lariat

Old 01-11-2001, 10:08 AM
Well, I am from this fine state although I have moved around abit. (Even spent about 3 years in one of those 3 deckers right near Elm Park a few years back).

back to the remote starter.

The starter is a DesignTech basic model (just remote start, no unlock/lock etc.). Although it appears I would just need a different key fob to do this. Mine has just a single START button. The brain itself has all the leads to attach to the Power lock.

The instructions stated to attach one of their leads to the Ignition 2 wire (Black/Red). I did this and the fan wouldnot work. In their trouble shooting guide, they suggested trying Ignition 3 (Grey/Yellow) since some trucks use this for the fan. Imoved it and now all is fine.

By the way, the design tech web site (http://www.designtech-intl.com/cs.ihtml?cs_system=tech&page=wires) has a good wire guide for many vehicles. Although it is specifically designed for installing their equipment, it does list many of the known wire colors for many cars/trucks.

[This message has been edited by theHedgeHog (edited 01-11-2001).]

Old 01-11-2001, 02:11 PM
Talking

Hey Hedgehog, Did you ever work for Stryker Medical?

------------------
'98 White Lariat

Old 01-14-2001, 07:46 PM
mattbert
I think you are just nuts,but then most of us are. I have never heard of a fan behind the dash, besides the heaters fan. Maybee at night it is just quieter, and you are hearing the heaters fan still spinning a bit. I hear sounds at night I would never even notice during the day. I have had half my dash apart when I put my sound system in, and never saw anything.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip, K&N FIPK Intake.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.
Alpine CDA-7845, ADS P640 Amp, Focal Poly Kevlar seperates.
SILVER 2001 LIGHTNING on order
http://members.tripod.com/donf150/Welcome/id7.html

Quick Reply: is it just me... or is there a fan that cools the guage lights?