Ford's FAKE Oil Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just to add to what Steve wrote, I monitored the oil temperature for a short time after I first installed my Gryphon programmer. I was astonished at the wild swings it would go through depending on engine load. I finally decided it was somewhat pointless to monitor it and stopped doing so.

You may know this, but the Coolant Temperature gauge is pretty much the same as the oil pressure thing. First of all, coolant temperature isn't really monitored at all, but is inferred from the Cylinder Head temperature (which is a better thing to monitor since it's not fooled by steam). However, that temperature "gauge" just goes to a set point and stays there as long as the cylinder head temperature is within a rather wide operating range. Since I can monitor the actual temperature on my Gryphon, I do, and see it vary between 195-226, again depending on engine load and outside temperature. The dash gauge doesn't move at all during these swings.

- Jack
Unless I'm mistaken the CHT sensor does actually measure coolant temp but it does it via a water passage in the head which provides a better and more accurate reading rather than the old way which would have put it in the intake manifold or thermostat housing.

Steve

Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Tasca Ford Parts
Unless I'm mistaken the CHT sensor does actually measure coolant temp but it does it via a water passage in the head which provides a better and more accurate reading rather than the old way which would have put it in the intake manifold or thermostat housing.

Steve
Steve, you could well be right. I've never removed my CHT sensor to see if coolant runs out of the hole, but it seems to me that it would still be subject to false readings in the event of air or steam in the system if that were true.

I just know the gauge on the dash is not really a "gauge".

While we're on the subject, the voltmeter gauge doesn't appear too useful either. It seems to stay in the same position as long as the voltage is above battery voltage.

So, the only real gauge is the fuel quantity gauge. We would probably be better off with idiot lights.

- Jack

Old 12-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Gauges "look" more informative so manufacturers give them to us to provide that sporty look. Whatever sells my man whatever sells

Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

So, the only real gauge is the fuel quantity gauge. We would probably be better off with idiot lights.

- Jack
No, really only the tach and speedometer are real and even at this rate I'd be wary of the real story behind those, too. Even the fuel gauge moves in spaced increments. Why else would you have a half-tank left at the obvious midway point (supposedly) and then still have about 4-5 gallons at the empty mark and low fuel light? I get the idea behind early warning, but still...fake.

Last edited by AlfredB18; 12-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about all the "gauges" too, even the speedo

I was already suspecting the voltage gauge before I found this thread, it seemed to be always just in the middle when running with no fluctuation.

On the coolant temp however, it was pretty cold the other day ( -35 or so ) and I noticed the CHT did seem to be moving linear fashion as the engine warmed up from way too cold to still not very warm and stayed below where it usually sits when the engine is warmed up in warmer weather. So maybe it is a bit more than just an idiot light. Maybe

Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by far-trader
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about all the "gauges" too, even the speedo

I was already suspecting the voltage gauge before I found this thread, it seemed to be always just in the middle when running with no fluctuation.

On the coolant temp however, it was pretty cold the other day ( -35 or so ) and I noticed the CHT did seem to be moving linear fashion as the engine warmed up from way too cold to still not very warm and stayed below where it usually sits when the engine is warmed up in warmer weather. So maybe it is a bit more than just an idiot light. Maybe
Ever researched variance in actual speed vs indicated? That'll get people wound up.

As for the temp gauge, it is more than an idiot gauge, not much more but it is.

-Steve

Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Interesting what you say about the speedometer. My speedometer appears to accurately reflect any speed I'm driving when I compare it with the readout that my GPS gives me. Of course it reads about 2% higher than the GPS, but that seems to be just an anomaly of converting digital data from the PCM to an analog readout. The Tach seems pretty close too.

My fuel gauge is like what I've seen in most vehicles. No movement at all from full for the first 50+ miles, then it drops fairly smoothly over the rest of the range. I think it goes down at a faster rate though in the last half tank range. And, the low fuel warning seems to come on with about 3 gals remaining (and the needle is still slightly above the "empty" mark).

And I know the temperature gauge will suddenly "peg" if the engine overheats, but I don't really think that's the way a true gauge should behave.

- Jack

Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Some speedometers are more accurate then others but very few are dead on accurate, the average seems to be about 3-5% fast. A magazine compiled a bunch of test data a few years back and that's what they found.

I know the speedo in my car reads about 5% over actual at around 70 mph. So at a true 70 my speedo is showing 73-74 mph.

-Steve

Quick Reply: Ford's FAKE Oil Pressure Guage