Adding cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in an answer to this myself. I have a manual transmission, and it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be able to do this project, since my 1999 XL was manual as well and had CC right off the assembly line.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked through my 2007 wiring diagram book tonight. In the case of the 4.2 w/ manual transmission, the book shows that there should be wiring between the clutch pedal and the PCM for cruise control. I say "should" because optional equipment in that manual usually has a dashed line around it with the "if equiped" designation. In the case of the PCM and clutch pedal wiring, there's NO dashed lines with that callout.

In the case of any engine/transmission in the 2007 book, the cruise control wiring is also shown does not have the dashed lines and "if equiped" designation. Again, indicating it should there.

If you feel that you must check first, there's a small connector behind the airbag. It's at 12'oclock with the steering wheel straight ahead with the airbag removed. If it has pins in just about every place, then the cruise wires are there.

From my on experience, 2007 XL/4.6/auto trans/KC factory, the cruise wiring was there and I just needed to install the switch and program the PCM. If Ford did something different than the above in different years or in different factories, I can't say.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
sburn, thanks for the excellent info. Im hoping that stuff is a carry over form '06. As soon as I can scout out some buttons or a whole wheel, im on it.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For those interested with the manuals, I have seen trucks equipped with the M5OD with a CC and yes it does shut off with the clutch depressed.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Okay, I got the switches today (thanks, Domenic from Tasca Ford Parts!) and put them in. Can I just say that it is a B**CH to put those black screws back in, the ones that hold the airbag/horn pad on? I was afraid I was going to have to call a tow truck to get the thing to the dealership in the morning so that THEY could put them in for me. After much cursing and grunting, I finally got them back in.

Tomorrow I'll go to the dealership to get the programming done. Wish me luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by girlwithtruck
...<snip>...
Tomorrow I'll go to the dealership to get the programming done. Wish me luck!
Take it the test drive = no Cruise Control.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Take it the test drive = no Cruise Control.
You are correct, sir. Disappointing but not surprising.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Okay, I can now happily confirm that yes you can add factory cruise to an XL with manual transmission. The dealer programmed it for me this morning, and it works.

One question: There's no indicator light on the cluster when I switch the cruise on, but a small speedometer icon shows up when it's set and engaged. Is this correct?

Thanks for everyone who has provided guidance in this thread - it's why I love this site.

You guys

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by girlwithtruck
..<snip>....

One question: There's no indicator light on the cluster when I switch the cruise on, but a small speedometer icon shows up when it's set and engaged. Is this correct?..<snip>....
That is correct, no "on" indicator, only a set indicator.

You can check the cluster pictures in your owners manual, starting on page 12, it shows the cluster types, and where the indicators are at.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I installed the buttons Wednesday after work, took about 30 minutes tops. Does anyone looking at this work at a Ford dealership in South/Central Texas? The reason I ask is I've called 5 dealerships, 4 didn't sound like they new a thing about activating it in the computer, and the 5th wants $100+ to do the job.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ShortbedTruckin
sburn, thanks for the excellent info. Im hoping that stuff is a carry over form '06. As soon as I can scout out some buttons or a whole wheel, im on it.
I have an 06 XL with manual transmission. I found a nice leather wrapped wheel on Ebay with cruise buttons for $100.00. I done the swap myself. I did have to get a dealer to program the cruise function. They had not ever done one before mine. It took 10 min. and only cost me $30.00. I was fully prepared to pay the $85.00 that the sign in the shop said was the base
service fee. Maybe they were just excited to learn something new for the day. Anyway, my point is the cruise function works just fine with a manual transmission. And most dealers have to be told what they are capable of doing. They don't teach em everything in school.

Last edited by splawnj; 10-07-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok, so I finally found the switches cheap, and im ready to instlal them this weekend. The cheapest I can find at a dealer to turn on the crusie option is 83. One shop wanted 98.

Anyway, and a dumb question here, but I have to ask it because im barrowing a friends tools to do this, and he needs to know what to bring home from his shop. What size is the nut that holds the steering wheel on, and how easy is it to get off the column? Should I bring a puller just in case?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
You won't need to pull the steering wheel off. You just need to remove the horn pad. (And it's a PITA to put back on - those bolts are in an awkward position, and you have to line them up just right.)

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
That would be awesome if thats the case.

Luckily my friend who is going to help works in a bodyshop, so i'll let him deal with the horn pad if its a PITA. Im sure hes seen a lot of them.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 AM
I just swapped the blanks on my 06 with new cruise switches in the dark with a flashlight in my mouth and it was still pretty easy. No need to pull the wheel. The only thing I had to run back in and check the picture for was the wiring harness. I didn't catch the fact that your pulling out an existing mini-harness and plugging the cruise switch harness in place of it. Other than that, the nuts that hold the switches to the wheel were a minor pain, lots of turning. The black screws that hold the horn/airbag down were easy with a magnetic 8mm socket driver.

Now to get it flashed from the local dealer, hopefully that goes well. I got a new gauge cluster with tach that I need flashed too so I'll just get them both done under one price hopefully.

Quick Reply: Adding cruise control