Adding cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from the dealer, it took them 2 hours to tell me there was nothing they could do without "as built" data from another similar model (06 STX) that had the features already. The service manager said they need to download that data and transfer it to mine. I asked if they didn't have a database with that info already and he said no. He's going to check the used lot for another a donor vehicle but I doubt he'll find what they need that way. From what I understand, the only STX models that had tach's were the 5-speeds.

I think I'll try another dealer, nobody on here said they had to go through all that.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Maybe this will help

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone else. I searched several sites for over an hour and just now found these instructions.

Switch Installation Instructions:
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/F150cruise.pdf

Dealer Programming Instructions:
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/f150prgram.pdf

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by spoiled
Yes, that is all go to the website above for install instructions. You will have everything you need.

I just wiggled the steering wheel back and forth and it came off pretty easy since it was new.

The best thing I did since I too drive 40 miles on the hwy to work!
I didn't see the link to a website. I am interested as I have to replace a broken switch.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 PM
I just put the switches in my 2005 tonight. The cruisecontrolstore instructions are right but this youtube video helps a lot more

It was great that the cruise control store has instructions for the dealer because I'm sure they'll look at me like I have two heads.

I got my switches a little cheaper on amazon.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Are there any other option/accessories that can be turned on that are stored in the computer like the cruise control?

Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 PM
How hard is it to add cruise control to a 2011 F150 XL? Can I do it by changing the steering wheel to one with built in cruise control on it, & how would I do it? Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Unhappy Need assistance with 2007 F150 XL Manual transmission 4.2 V6

Originally Posted by girlwithtruck
Okay, I can now happily confirm that yes you can add factory cruise to an XL with manual transmission. The dealer programmed it for me this morning, and it works.

One question: There's no indicator light on the cluster when I switch the cruise on, but a small speedometer icon shows up when it's set and engaged. Is this correct?

Thanks for everyone who has provided guidance in this thread - it's why I love this site.

You guys

girlwithtruck,

I know this thread is prehistoric and I'm digging it up from grave. The reason for that is because I recently inherited a 2007 F150 XL with a manual transmission and 4.2L V6 that did not have cruise control switches installed in it. I wanted to see how hard it would be to get cruise control installed and came across this forum as well as many others. All the forums I've research stated that I just need to install the switches within the steering wheel and then have to take my truck to a Ford dealership to get my PCM reflashed for enabling cruise control within my truck. Since cruise control is handled electronically within the computer, there should not be any more parts needed as it's "drive by wire". Fair deal, I went ahead and attempted it but was unsuccessful.

So, I bought these cruise control switches and I installed them. It took about 30 minutes, which was a pain in the butt. I then took it to a Ford dealership and explained to them what I did and what I wanted. They seemed very confused and had me repeat it about three times. At this point I was concerned that they didn't even know this could be done with their own vehicles but I wanted my cruise control so I stuck with them. After about 2 hours of waiting the Service Adviser said they were done "flashing the PCM with the latest firmware from the manufacture". I was ecstatic thinking I was going to drive home with my cruise control! Once I got on the highway I attempted to turn it on and saw no light. I then thought maybe the cruise control bulb might be burnt out so I proceeded to set the speed. I hit the "set" button after hitting the "on" button and noticed that my vehicle began to slow down, so the cruise control didn't engage. I then turned around, went back to dealership and explained to them that the cruise control failed to engage. They responded with "you might have something else going on because we did reflash the PCM correctly, we did not get any error codes back". I then drove home disappointed and let down but determined to figure out what might be causing my cruise to not work.

Doing research I came across a video by FordTechMakuloco about changing out the cruise control switch if your cruise is not working. I then proceeded to purchase this cruise control switch because I thought the original one might be defective. I was excited once it came in and I installed it right away, no dice again. I went back to my computer and continued to research. I then bought and installed the brake light switch I purchased from Autozone, a local parts store as other forums have stated faulty switches cause the cruise control to not be enabled when vehicle is started as it's safety "power on self test" techniques.

I then took the truck to a mechanic and he tested the electrical components to make sure they're sound. He used a multimeter to test the wiring before and after the fuse box, the speed control fuses, brake light switch, cruise control switch and steering wheel cruise switch to make sure voltages are read when they are pressed. They all checked out and read voltages within the multimeter. The steering wheel cruise switches also light up when I turn on my head lights and my horn honks. I was then content that the electrical was good, so why isn't the truck setting the cruise when I try to engage it?

Fast forward to earlier today, I take the truck back to the original dealership where they had the PCM "flashed" and have them do a diagnosis as to why the cruise is not working. They take my truck to the work area and park it in front of the customer waiting area. There is glass between the techs and customers so I'm able to see the tech work on my truck. I wait about 1 hr watching the tech jump in and out of the truck with his laptop, scratching his head, going to work on another car and then returning to my truck. The Service Adviser then comes to me and asks again if my truck ever came with cruise control installed, I told him that it did not but installing the cruise control steering switches and having the PCM flashed should enable it. He looked puzzled and then told me they reached out to the Ford hotline to ask about what other parts they might need to get cruise control to work. I told them there are no other parts, it's basically all electronic and he didn't believe me. Another hour goes by and they bring me the "bad" news. They were unsuccessful because the computer the tech was using "kept being kicked off by the truck" so they could not continue further. What does that mean!? I had told them there are multiple forums of other people having installed cruise control switches on their trucks that are the same year and sub-model as mine and their cruise control works. He told me, "I don't know where you got your information from but that's false. Our Ford hotline stated that if the truck does not come with it from the factory it's not possible to add to the vehicle". I didn't buy it and still don't! He handed me the keys and said they were not going to charge me since they didn't do any work on the vehicle.

So, I'm reaching out to the forums to see I can get assistance. I'm tempted to try another dealership and then vet them before I drive to them. Like asking if they've done something like type of install before and see if they use correct terminology like "drive by wire", "PCM", "reflash", "enable cruise in computer". Many of these guys looked really confused, and they're FORD TECHS!? What do y'all think? Anyone else experience this type of circus?

Originally Posted by josehermanos
I just put the switches in my 2005 tonight. The cruisecontrolstore instructions are right but this youtube video helps a lot more Adding cruise control 2007 F150 - YouTube

It was great that the cruise control store has instructions for the dealer because I'm sure they'll look at me like I have two heads.

I got my switches a little cheaper on amazon.
I've included this quote as the video I used to installed the cruise control switches is linked in quote above. I followed the same procedures within the video tutorial.

Oh and I just created this account so I can reply because I know this is possible.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by 2011f150mike
How hard is it to add cruise control to a 2011 F150 XL? Can I do it by changing the steering wheel to one with built in cruise control on it, & how would I do it? Any help is appreciated.
I have a new cruise control module that I installed and had Ford initialize. It works great. My dash indicator lights yellow when on stand by, green when working.

Cruise from Ford It cost me $225.00 from the Ford dealer and ~$190.00 from same dealer to initialize it. Less then 1/2 price of an after market non-Ford product! I used a youtube video to find out how to remove the old switch cluster and put this one in.

Quick Reply: Adding cruise control