Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The trademoition system shows :

W/o radio controls
Years :04-08
MSRP :$91.38
Online price : $45.23

Item # 6

Your local dealer might get you the price for less than MSRP, and might not hurt to get it from the dealer doing the programming.

Might even want to ask them the difference between programming alone, and installing the switch + programming, as they might have a 1 hour min ?? This is something that varies greatly from posts from members ( some have cool dealers, others like myself not so much )

Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just called my "friendly" local dealer and they told me it requires a complete aftermarket kit and it would run $600 installed! Are they full of crap or just trying to screw me? Still waiting to here back from where I bought the truck. Hopefully with better results.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Most dealers do not have a clue that you can add stuff like this.

Same thing for remote entry keypad, they would try to sell you a stick on pad, rather than order the door handle and keypad, and reprogram the VSM/BSM

Wait on the next dealer.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by sean46
Well I just called my "friendly" local dealer and they told me it requires a complete aftermarket kit and it would run $600 installed! Are they full of crap or just trying to screw me? Still waiting to here back from where I bought the truck. Hopefully with better results.
Hey Sean, I tell you what, order the buttons and when you go to have them turn it on and it does not work, I will buy the buttons for you.

That is how SURE I am.

I will paypal you 50 bucks if the buttons do not fit.

Take the install instructions for the programming in with you as well!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Oh and then tell that dealer the are d u m b a s s

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by spoiled
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com.../0014/f1502009

They have the kits for the 09 as well.

The 08's I got from the dealer was cheaper than their switches. Just throwing that out there as well. I think i paid 80 bucks shipped for my buttons
The 08 switches are only around $45 -$46 on our site (depending on options)... and about $166 for a basic steering wheel with cruise for the 09 (you have other options redundant radio controls, leather, sync, etc that will change the price) .... not much of a bargain on that site.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies here guys but change of plans. I picked me up a nice daily driver today so the truck will be doing alot of sitting now. Therefore, I dont really need to add the cruise. Thought I'd just give an update.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm chiming in here... I just bought an '07 XL with the plastic dummy switches, and I'm interested in adding cruise. Are you guys telling me that the truck already has the capability for cruise control and that all it lacks are $45 buttons and a little programming? If so, it's completely insane that cruise is no longer standard on the XLs. My '99 XL had cruise control right off the assembly line. I was very disappointed to discover that the more recent model years don't.

I'm going to do this... Domenic, I had trouble finding the kit on your site. Can you PM me a link?

By the way, the Ford dealership I was dealing with early on in my truck-shopping quoted me $250 to add cruise.

Last edited by girlwithtruck; 08-07-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by girlwithtruck
Are you guys telling me that the truck already has the capability for cruise control and that all it lacks are $45 buttons and a little programming?
Yep. That's all there is to it.

By the way, the Ford dealership I was dealing with early on in my truck-shopping quoted me $250 to add cruise.
Sure, full retail on the switches plus an hour of shop time could get up to $250.

Get the good price on parts from Tasca, add them in yourself, and then it's just 10 minutes of Ford programming.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Well, I have my cruise switches on the way from Tasca, and I called the dealership closest to my house and got a quote of $85 to hook the computer up and enable the cruise. I asked him how long it takes, and he said, "Oh, about an hour, hour and 15 minutes..."

Did he lie?

I'm going to call some other dealerships.

UPDATE: Okay, I wish the Ford dealerships could get their story straight:
Dealership 1: $85. Takes an hour or more.
Dealership 2: You don't even need programming. Just install the switches.
Dealership 3: $85. Takes an hour or more.
Dealership 4: I don't think that will work. I doubt those XLs have the servos, etc., for cruise control. I can't imagine you just have to install switches.

Last edited by girlwithtruck; 08-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM

...<snip>.....
Dealership 4: I don't think that will work. I doubt those XLs have the servos, etc., for cruise control. I can't imagine you just have to install switches.

We have the winner for the stupidest dealer in your region !!!
No servo on a truck that is throttle by wire...... How does that work

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Dealership 1: $85. Takes an hour or more.
Bzzzzt. Wrong. Putting the switches in might take an hour, but the programming part is like 10 minutes.

Dealership 2: You don't even need programming. Just install the switches.
Maybe, but I doubt it. My XL was born without switches and I needed to program it. You could try installing the switches and see if the cruise works. If not, just keep driving to the dealer.

Dealership 3: $85. Takes an hour or more.
Bzzzzt. Wrong. See above.

Idiots. Servos and such all went away when Ford went to drive-by-wire electronic throttle control like 5 years ago...

It's not the cars. It's the dealerships that are killing the American auto industry.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, it looks like I'll be paying around $85 wherever I go, which is not TOO bad. The ones who know WTF I'm talking about are all quoting about the same price.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, it looks like I'll be paying around $85 wherever I go, which is not TOO bad. The ones who know WTF I'm talking about are all quoting about the same price.
Probably just the 1 hour minimum shop rate / diagnostic rate.
This stops the 15 min to diagnose the problem, and have the owner get it fixed somewhere ( or by themselves ) else routine.
Quite common at a lot of places ( motorcycle shops, lawn mower shops, etc )

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Great thread here.

I have an '06 XL. Is a 5 speed. I really want cruise in this truck. Is it possible with a manual, and if so, what happens when I depress the clutch, does it shut the CC down like the brake pedal will?

Also, Did I read right in an earlier post that some XLs are not wired for CC? How does one know other then removing the pad? Would I be right in assuming if it is true, a Manual trans truck might be one without it?

Quick Reply: Adding cruise control