Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights

anybody know what the wattage rating is on factory foglight bulbs in a 03 f150 and how high a wattage can you go without melting the housings ?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you check your owners manual ?

Page 50
Foglamps 9145

The google for 9145 bulb watt

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/9145~usa.html

9145 / H10 bulb 42 W.

Prior to worrying about melting the housing, might want to think about the wiring.

The other thing, is without modification, the H10 bulb is the only one that will mount in the twist lock bulb holder.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Fog lights

I did check the manual, but it only gives the lamp number, not the wattage. But you are right about the wiring load and I think I'll leave them alone.
" If it works, don't fix it"

Thanks for the help,
Bob

Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM

You were 50% there, quick google for the term above, and the spec listing would show the wattage.

If you are looking for more light, take a look at something that puts more usable lumen on the road ( not wattage )
Easy swap out are the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. This is a quick direct plug in way of getting more lumen on the road. Same AMP draw ( =/- 0.1 A ) so no issues with the wiring.

Next step is investing in HID kit. Few things here.
1. Don't fall prey to the color temp wars going on. The sun is about 3500 K color temp, any thing more then this and to the human eye, it will start to get blue looking ( I say looking, as the human eye cannot see 6000 K color temp correctly ). The end result is a light that is brutal to on coming traffic, and will look like it hardly lights the road ( your eye cannot see the remainder the light pattern, but a light meter would pick up more lumen ).
2. The conversion kit is using a reflector not made for HID lights, so the light pattern might not be on the ground correctly, with a cut off in the pattern.
This can also cause issues with on coming traffic.
3. The conversion to HID removes the Federal DOT tag of Fog lamp ( factory setup ), which might get you a ticket ( if you irritate a cop ). This changes the light to an auxiliary lamp, which must be turned off when traffic is on coming. Your state laws might vary, best to check the rules of the road for your state for aux lamp usage.
I know my Hella grille has Aux lamps, and the directions specify hooking them up to the high beam.
Piaa also changes their directions depending on which kit you buy. The fog lamps are hooked up with the low beam, and the driving lamps say to hook up with the high beam.

Sorry for the War & Peace length posting, just some things to think of,if you are looking at getting more usable lumen on the ground in front of you

Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks, and no, I don't mind the War and Peace explanation! Would the Sylvania replacements be under the same 9145 part # ?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by The King
Thanks, and no, I don't mind the War and Peace explanation! Would the Sylvania replacements be under the same 9145 part # ?
The Sylvania web site has them listed as 9145ST

http://www.sylvania.com/consumerprod...lacementGuide/

Enter your Make, MY, and model , and it will list the bulbs.

The 9007SU Silverstar ULTRA headlamps are great. I did the regular to Silverstar to the OSRAM branded ( EU bulbs ) Ultras on my motorcycles ( H4 ) and it was a step up each time.
Funny part, the ultra drew about 0.5 A less then the factory H4 bulb, go figure.

I you did the SilverStar Ultra headlamps, and the 9145ST fog lamps, you should be very pleased with the results.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I appreciate all the help. The people on this site never cease to amaze me on how knowledgable and helpful they are.

Bob

Old 02-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The King
Thanks, I appreciate all the help. The people on this site never cease to amaze me on how knowledgable and helpful they are.

Bob
You caught me on a good day

Hope it works out for you

Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Suspended
Are you guys tired of the same old story from the HID seller on the forum? Excuses for why something isn’t working! Well I’d like to introduce our company… www.xenonking.com. We guarantee that your F150 will work smoothly with our BI-XENON KIT. Our kit comes with a CANCELLER KIT that eliminates the flickering (GUARANTEED!) that all these cheap hid kits cause. DO NOT BUY HID KITS from just any old joe. We’ve been in business for 7 years!

I've seen that there have been a lot of people offering HID kits for the F150 at LOW prices, so we've decided to offer our fellow F150 members an even bigger discount off of our kits...

Others are selling generic kits for as low as $100, but only limited K temps are available and there is no REAL warranty included. We're offering two of the most popular brands in the market for over $100 LESS THAN OUR WEBSITE PRICES ONLY TO F150 MEMBERS!

OUR KITS come with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!

VisionPro
$280 for Bi-Xenon kit with Canceller (eliminates flickering)

McCulloch
$330 for Bi-Xenon kit with Canceller (eliminates flickering)

we offer K temps 5K-12K, the lower the Kelvin the brighter the light, the higher the Kelvin the more color intensity....

5K- Bright white with slight yellowish hue
6K- Diamond White (most similar to OEM)
8K- White with blue tint
10K- Deeper Blue than 8K
12K- Deep violet

Both McCulloch & VisionPros kits are Plug & Play and very easy to install, no modifications are necessary to the vehicle. Quality wise the two brands are very similar, they are both Japanese made.

The VisionPro kits have integrated ballasts with the built in igniters, the McCullochs have the igniters separate from the ballasts.

If anyone is interested in ordering...please send the amount above to paypal@xenonking.com through your paypal account or you can call us directly at 877-HID-KITS and order it over the phone through any debit/credit card. All pictures can be seen on www.xenonking.com Please don't forget, we are here to make you happy, so all questions are welcome. Thank you for your time guys. We appreciate the business and look forward to speaking with you.

Regards,
Brandon D.
877-HID-KITS
www.xenonking.com

If anyone has any questions, needs help deciding what kit they need, or would like to order, feel free to contact me by email or by phone 24/7.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You caught me on a good day

Hope it works out for you
And, SSCULLY - you hit on something I've been thinking of posting on too, but haven't.

We don't see reflected light in the upper (hi-color, "blue" temperature wavelengths) at all well, do we? The light itself is VERY bright, and, if we look at a 7-8000K light, it will blind us. But, when that same light is put out on the road, most of the blinding wavelengths (read light energy here) are absorbed and not reflected back to our eyes! The net result is: Those blinding headlights can actually look dimmer to us when we're seeing the illuminated road, can't they?

I've noticed this effect in our trailer, where I've replaced all our interior lights with very high output LEDs, in the 6000K spectrum. I'm sorry I did that now, and will probably go back and replace them with the "warm white" versions. The lights themselves are VERY bright, but, it is more difficult to read with them than with the dimmer, lower color temperature, incandescent bulbs.

- Jack

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
And, SSCULLY - you hit on something I've been thinking of posting on too, but haven't.

We don't see reflected light in the upper (hi-color, "blue" temperature wavelengths) at all well, do we? The light itself is VERY bright, and, if we look at a 7-8000K light, it will blind us. But, when that same light is put out on the road, most of the blinding wavelengths (read light energy here) are absorbed and not reflected back to our eyes! The net result is: Those blinding headlights can actually look dimmer to us when we're seeing the illuminated road, can't they?

I've noticed this effect in our trailer, where I've replaced all our interior lights with very high output LEDs, in the 6000K spectrum. I'm sorry I did that now, and will probably go back and replace them with the "warm white" versions. The lights themselves are VERY bright, but, it is more difficult to read with them than with the dimmer, lower color temperature, incandescent bulbs.

- Jack
You got the part about not being able to see the light ( i.e. a 6K HID light puts less usable light on the road and will start to look blue to purple ), but I cannot say for sure how the retina processes the light.

I would guess you are correct, the retina / puiples are going to react to it the same way as any other bright light, and shut down ( the coming driver ) and let in less light, of a wavelength that is not registering in the brain.

So you have diminished viewable lumen, and a constricted puiples put together.

I guess to each their own, they want to say they have the higher color temp then the next guy. Might as well have left their money in their pocket, and left the factory halogen bulbs, and made the claim of "you have a higher color temp, but I have more usable lumen" and then laughed at the look on their face trying to figure out what was just said.

Quick Reply: Fog lights