2001 screw dash lights does not iluminate

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 screw dash lights does not iluminate

My 2001 screw dash lights does not iluminate, the fuse burns out, the dimmer light switch is good had it checked out, Ok here it is i diconnected the battery, took the dimmer switch out, checked for any cracked wires reconnected it, put a fuse in it with the engine off, turned the lights on, it worked but then turned off the lights & turned my truck on & turned the lights back on & it blew the fuse again some one please help any help would be good thanks for stopping by.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Since things are ok with the engine off, but the fuse blows with the car running, it sounds like some short perhaps that is seen on that circuit with the ignition switch on.

You might try turning the key to on, but not to start, then with the engine off, turn on the lights. And, does the fuse blow when the parking lights are on or only the headlights.

There have been several posts about wires around the steering column being "rubbed" to the point where insulation is removed. It's possible that's happened to you, but that the worn part only "grounds" with the ignition on.

I know this isn't much help, but I don't have a 2001 and I have no wiring diagrams for that year.

- Jack

Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Since things are ok with the engine off, but the fuse blows with the car running, it sounds like some short perhaps that is seen on that circuit with the ignition switch on.

You might try turning the key to on, but not to start, then with the engine off, turn on the lights. And, does the fuse blow when the parking lights are on or only the headlights.

There have been several posts about wires around the steering column being "rubbed" to the point where insulation is removed. It's possible that's happened to you, but that the worn part only "grounds" with the ignition on.

I know this isn't much help, but I don't have a 2001 and I have no wiring diagrams for that year.

- Jack
I tried it with the key on & the engine off w/parking lights & then headlights, the fuse did not blow, i will check if i can find something @ the steering colum & see if any wires are damaged. Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jerryg
I tried it with the key on & the engine off w/parking lights & then headlights, the fuse did not blow, i will check if i can find something @ the steering colum & see if any wires are damaged. Thanks
I looked in the steering colum area and did not find any damaged wires, it looked real clean & nothing was rubbing in any moveing objects.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Well, that sucks! I would have thought you almost had to have had a short to blow the fuse (that's what they protect against after all - a high amp draw).

So, back to square one. When the engine is running, the alternator is charging the battery. The system voltage is higher (much higher actually than it would be with the engine off and the headlights on). I'd guess the voltage available would be in the neighborhood of 11v or less with the headlights on and the engine off but it would be close to 14v with the alternator running. More voltage pressure means the dash lights can pull more amps.

Can you try turning the dash light intensity all the way down before starting the truck and turning the lights on? That would limit the current to the dash and might save the fuse. You could slowly increase the dash light intensity and see what happens.

And, one final question - maybe a dumb one. Are you using the right amp size fuse? If it's rated too low, it will blow.

Sorry I'm not much more help than this! There's a gent going by the name of SSCULLY in this forum that probably has much better suggestions. I'm just trying to fill in till he sees this.

- Jack

Quick Reply: 2001 screw dash lights does not iluminate