Daytime Running lights Removal?...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime Running lights Removal?...

i own an 03 crew cab and removed my drl works fine....now my bro has an 04 screw and just got new headlights with a halo ring that plugs into the small marker light so it will be on at the same time....so is there a way to remove the DRL??

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 AM
i know its not really a "removal" of the DRL's but i have found that if you want to turn them off you can always put on your e-brake on the first click be sure not to go too far because you will be driving with the brake actually on but if you press the pedal on just a little it should turn them off

Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know this doesnt apply to all 04+ F150, but he can just disocnnect the DRL resisitor up under the front bumber behind the driver headlight.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tfast150
i own an 03 crew cab and removed my drl works fine....now my bro has an 04 screw and just got new headlights with a halo ring that plugs into the small marker light so it will be on at the same time....so is there a way to remove the DRL??
How'd you remove the DRL?

If you really don't plan on using them anymore, I'd sure like the relay box right under that top dash access panel.

I have the resistor, fuse, and just need that underdash relay box.

I am willing to pay for it, too!

I know someone wants to make some extra money!

I don't want to wire up that spaghetti kit Ford issues in place of the relay box now.

That thing on the left...I know someone just wants to get rid of one!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:21 AM
excellent thanx guys!.... and sorry AlfredB18 but when i eventually sell my truck i want to be able to put the DRLs back in...but i shall keep a look out for one...could check the wreckers around here and see there are any kickin around!...send me ur email addy and i will be sure to get ahold of you...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
We spliced into the hot from the head lights to run some L.E.Ds I had one some after market headlights..

Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by tfast150
excellent thanx guys!.... and sorry AlfredB18 but when i eventually sell my truck i want to be able to put the DRLs back in...but i shall keep a look out for one...could check the wreckers around here and see there are any kickin around!...send me ur email addy and i will be sure to get ahold of you...
I understand. I know I am not going to find any down here in TX. The trucks nearer to the Canadian border, possibly.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 AM
haha im right in canada so i think i have a good chance!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Well then, if you wouldn't mind dropping a dealer name in regards to one that still stocks these, I'd be plenty grateful.

I may still wire the spaghetti kit, but if the prices are reasonable, I may not after all.

I had trouble just getting anyone at the dealer to even ORDER the parts I have so far!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AlfredB18
Well then, if you wouldn't mind dropping a dealer name in regards to one that still stocks these, I'd be plenty grateful.

I may still wire the spaghetti kit, but if the prices are reasonable, I may not after all.

I had trouble just getting anyone at the dealer to even ORDER the parts I have so far!
I can understand your reluctance to do the "module", I was that way too. Although it looked like the connectors up behind the left headlight of my truck just needed something plugged into them, when I studied them closer, I found there were no wires into the necessary sockets.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a module from Millennium Ford (www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com) which was $69.90 including shipping.

Then, after reading, misunderstanding the directions, calling them, discussing the problem, rereading the directions and finally understanding what to do - I went to work.

It was really not too bad at all. The hardest part is getting the instrument panel pieces off and there's only one real glitch here. I had to buy a steering wheel puller to move the wheel out so I could reinstall the shroud under the wheel.

There's only 5 wires you have to tap in to:

1. The red/black stripe wire from the module connects to the red/black stripe wire from the HEADLIGHT DIMMER SWITCH (on the steering column)! With the shrouds off, you can unplug the harness to this and get easy access to the wire.

2.The brown wire from the module connects to the brown wire from the HEADLIGHT SWITCH, which is easily accessible from behind the trim panel on the left side (you just pull this off). Unplug the harness for easy access.

3. The purple/white stripe wire from the module connects to a small, probably about 18 gauge, green/red stripe wire that goes into the switch above the parking brake. I unscrewed this switch so I could get better access. There are only two wires to it. The other is black. When I reinstalled the switch, I grounded the black wire from the module to the screw that holds it using a "spade" connector.

4. The red/green wire from the module connects to the blue/green stripe wire from the rectangular ignition harness that is on the LEFT side of the steering column. This is a relatively "thick" wire - probably about 14 guage. Again, unplugging this harness makes connecting easier.

5. The red +12V wire from the module connects to the green/black stripe wire from the same rectangular ignition harness as in step 4. This is also a "thick" wire.

That's really it. The instructions walk you through a test and mine work perfectly. I mounted the module on the frame that holds the parking brake. I really didn't see how I'd do it on the firewall.

I'm very sorry I did not take pictures. I thought about it as I was finishing up - too late! :o

But, it's really not that hard, if you want to do it.

- Jack

Old 04-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I'll keep those notes in mind.

I really haven't looked over the instructions lately and with all the recent midterms and three class projects for school, my mind has been on other things.

I guess I could try to pull this one off and then get to making harnesses for those turn signal mirrors...

I wonder if I could get all those wires from the inner dash. That relay ties into the same stuff, I presume, so maybe I should look into the harness that normally occupies.

Last edited by AlfredB18; 04-02-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running lights Removal?...