How to wire 4 auxiliary lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to wire 4 auxiliary lights

Hey guys I am getting 4 PIAA lights mounted on a N FAB light bar and I want to know the easiest and cleanest way to hook these babies up. I know there is a fuse box for the daytime running lamps and abs modules right inside the drivers fender well in my 07 truck. Could this be used somehow? I would not like to modify the truck anyway so it can be returned to stock at a later time if need be.

Let me know, I know there are probably tons of ways to accomplish this.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before we can give you specific advice, you need to think about a few things. First, how many lights do you want on how many switches? (I've seen folks who have a switch for each light.) Or, do you even want switches for all of them? (I have mine triggered automatically off of my high beams via a relay.) Where do you want to mount your switches? Do you want to be able to run any or all of the lights with the vehicle running or non-running? What kind of bulbs (# watts) are in them? (This drives the size of the wiring and relays.) The basic wiring will be the same, but it's the details that matter for a good installation.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I would like a single switch next to my autolamp switch. I would also like the lamps to work with the truck off like you said.

I think I am going to go with PIAA 520s.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
OK, that's a start. You'll need a switch of your choice (I like the LED lighted toggle versions) a relay, wiring and connectors. I believe those lights come with 55 watt bulbs, but I could be wrong. Now what you need is SSCULLY's famous wiring diagram that he's posted up here many times. You can probably find it by doing a little searching - or you can whistle up the master for his expert advice.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
One more thing that just caught my eye. You want all four lights on one switch. That's going to require either one heck of a relay, or two standard ones. Flipping all four (even 55 watt) lights on at once is a heck of a shock to the system. Be careful.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 AM
could you recommend a relay? and where do you buy the relays and led lighted switches?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Most better lighting products come with relays and switches right in the kit. If you didn't get them or want something different, your local auto parts store will have just what you need. I know Advance carries the lighted LED toggle switches I used.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry I was in London this week, and did not have time much time to troll the forum.

The drawing that 2stroked referred to :

The change to this, since you want the lamps on at any time regardless of the key position, is the power source for the coil on the relay. instead of the brown wire for the switch, use the cigar lighter for this, it is hot all the time.

If you did not get a relay kit with the lights, you can make due with one of the Centech relay kits to get you going.
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap130.shtml
You would need a switch for this, which you can get at AutoZone, Napa, etc.
While you are at it, get a fuse kit for the Centech relay kit. The centech kit is made for power their aux fuse panel.

Hope this helps in my thread posting fog, if it is not clear, let me know

Quick Reply: How to wire 4 auxiliary lights