Head lights won't come on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head lights won't come on...

Hello everyone, what i thought was going to be a very easy repair is driving me nuts. My headlights low or high won;t come on. So far this is what I've tested.
1. No voltage at headlight.
2. Fuses for low and high beams are good.
3. Have replaced the headlight switch.

After trying the above I still cant get the lights to come. I do have the passing/flashing beams but that is all.
Thank you for any tips on what else I can check. Sam.

FYI my truck is a 1997 Ford 150. V8. and it also has the dim swith with the headlight switch.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:32 AM
More than likely it is the multi function switch, or the connector at the back of the switch. Try putting the tilt wheel all the way up, if they come on it's definately the connector. If they still don't come on, remove the two covers around the steering column, push the connector, and each wire into the connector. If still nothing, check the red wire with yellow stripe to see if you have ower going into the switch, then check to see if you have power coming out of the multi function switch. This is the red wire with a black stripe. If you have power going in but do not have power coming out, replace the multi function switch. If you have power at this wire, check fuse 26 and 28 at the fuse panel under the dash. Since these trucks use two fuses for the headlights. One for the right light and one for the left light, when both lights go out the problem is usually between the fuse box and headlight switch, it is usually the multi function switch.

Last edited by svt_sc_f150; 09-26-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:20 AM
I had the same problem. Replacing the switch was the answer. I'n my case, I could screw with the switch lever to get the lights to come on. It wasnt very fun, however, when the lights would shut off while I was driving on the highway at night!

Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM
If you get to the point of removing the MFS for replacement consider going on step further and clean/recondition it and try that. I just did mine last weekend and think I solved the problem I had which was with the directionals. It's not very complex inside if you are careful upon disasembly. Clean it out, brighten up the copper and reapply dialectric grease. There's not as much to it than you'ld think. Saves $80 - $100 whatever they cost.

ricochet

Old 10-11-2004, 10:23 AM
OK, help me out here - where is this multi-function switch?? You are not talking about the headlight switch itself, are you?? I am having a problem with my headlights coming on when the headlight switch is in the "parking light" position and also the passenger side fog will not come on - it is getting a little less than 12 volts. Also noticed this weekend that the passenger side headlight is not as bright as the driver's side, which tells me that whole side has a voltage drop.

Would like to check out this multi-function switch before I spend the money on a new headlight switch (if there not one in the same!!)

Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 AM
The multi function switch is actually the turn signal switch. It performs multiple functions. Hence the name. The fogs do not run through the multi function switch though. In your case the part that is related to the heads and the fogs is the headlight switch. From there they are two separate crcuits. If the bulbs and fuses are all ok, then suspect the headlight switch.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 AM
OK, if I did the foglight mod that allows you to run the fogs with the high beams by splicing some wires together right behind the headlight switch, would this possibly tie them into the multi-function switch?? (I did this mod years ago, so it is not something that occurred immediately after doing it)

If so, I am still not sure where the multi-function switch is located.

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2004, 12:09 PM

Last edited by FrankLee; 11-17-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Could also be a bad relay....

Check the under hood fuse/relay box and make sure the headlight relay is good.

Tony

Old 10-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Yep, at lunch today I went through the owners manual and circled all fuses/ relays that pertained to the headlights, parking lights, and fog lights. I am going through all of them tonight to see if I can find any bad ones.

One other question, the relays under the hood that look like little black boxes with plugs, are those something you can buy at an auto parts store or do they have to be ordered from Ford??

Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Actually there is no headlight relay. There is a fog light relay, and a DRL (daytime running lights) relay. Since you are having problems with the headlights and the fog lights, like I said, the headlight switch is the only part that is common to both circuits. The multi function switch is the part that the turn signal lever is connected to.

Last edited by svt_sc_f150; 10-11-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by LightningCrew
One other question, the relays under the hood that look like little black boxes with plugs, are those something you can buy at an auto parts store or do they have to be ordered from Ford??
Usually you can get these at places like NAPA. You might be lucky enough to find them at AutoZone or Pepboys. Most important thing is that they are "Bosch" style relays (not necessarily the "Bosch" brand name) and that they are rated for the appropriate amount of AMPS (usually 30 or 40AMPS) that the load will put on the circuit.

Originally posted by svt_sc_f150
Actually there is no headlight relay.
I wasn't sure....I didn't have my service manual w/ me (surfing at work....DON'T TELL THE BOSS ) but guessed that they should have had one due to the high amp circuit...

Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
thanks guys, I will let you know what I find out. Sure wish I could find someone around here that I could quickly swap headlight switches out with before I spend the $40 for a new one!!

Old 10-16-2004, 11:01 PM
svt_sc_f150 Thanks for the tip on the multi switch you were right on the money........voltage was comming into the switch but the swithch was not passing it through. Dealer wanted $116 for the part but I was able to get one from NAPA auto parts for $62. Thanks to everyone for sharing the information. Sam .

Old 10-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Sam I Was
Dealer wanted $116 for the part but I was able to get one from NAPA auto parts for $62.
WOW...didn't think you could find something like this anywhere other than the dealer.....the NAPA part a perfect match?

Tony

Quick Reply: Head lights won't come on...