Got a used Edge Programer, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a used Edge Programer, now what?

My friend has an 07 f150 with 4.6 in it. He is about to get him a new truck and he gave me his Edge Programer for free. I have an 08 with the 4.6 in it also. Is there anything I should do before I use it, I am skeptical to just plug it in and see what it does. My 08 only has 53k on it with no problems...I'm mainly interested in the gauges the Edge features, plus free is always good. So is there anything I need to know before I plug it in? This is my only vehicle and don't want to mess anything up.

I'm new to these programmers but I've heard lots of good things from people that have them and say they wake the 4.6 up

Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Did he return his truck to the stock tune before removing it? If not, it will be locked. Next, it has to recognize the your truck's PCM strategy, your HEX code. If it does, you will be good to download a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 AM
If he did return it to the stock tune before removing it, I can go ahead and connect it to my truck with no problems? I'll have to ask him. What if he didn't set it back to stock, and his truck is already traded in? Is it still usable?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator &

If he returned out to stock, the next step is to hook it up and see if it recognizes your HEX code. If it does, you can proceed, if not, contact Edge. If it's not returned to stock, Edge will have to help you. There is a fee for restoring the hardware.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all your help. What should I do if my friend doesn't know if it was returned to stock. I have a feeling that's the answer I'm going to get from him when I ask...lol Just hook it up and see what it does?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Yes, won't hurt anything to try it.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Ok, I had some time to see if it worked in my truck and it did. At first with the key off I hooked it up and it said hex code not found. Then I un plugged it and turned the key on, then plugged it back in and it said hex code found and it said what my trucks code is. So I should be good to go now, right? And my friend had it on the stock setting also. Seems like its working perfectly. I colormatched the pod and cleared it at work yesterday, so it all looks brand new.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
As Bluejay has been telling you, you should be fine using that programmer on your truck.

As far as tunes go, I'd recommend the Level 2 (tow) tune, whether you are towing or not. It is a very good daily driver tune and both Bluejay and I used it before we got custom tunes. Just try to load it in its "standard" configuration. Skip the "custom options" choice you will see offered. Don't even try to modify that tune until you know what you are doing. And, don't try to load the Level 3 tune unless you have a FULL tank of 91+ octane gas, it will not work properly if the fuel is at a lower octane value.

Have fun!

- Jack

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Tex;

May I add that it looks from your sig pic that you *may* have larger-than-stock tires. As such, you need to account for those in the device setup ( along with confirming your gear ratio ). These two settings are crucial for speedo / odo accuracy and proper shifting.

If you don't have a user manual, it's here: http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-277.pdf

Additionally, when you are more familiar with the device and feel the need to tweak it a bit ( sorry Jack ) there are several threads discussing same, with some useful examples - here's one such: https://www.f150online.com/forums/4381866-post9.html

Finally, and VERY importantly - please be aware of this most sage advice from Sir Jack when changing tire size / gear ratio settings: https://www.f150online.com/forums/5027834-post12.html

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I have it on stock tune as of now, I haven't tried anything out yet. I planned on trying the tow tune just to see what it does or if I notice anything. The tires are a few sizes larger, truck drives pretty good stock, but I have always wanted to calibrate the speedo so its accurate. I'll have to try it out soon.

So I should try out level 2, and not mess with any settings first? The tires are 285/65/18, I wonder if that will make that large of a difference?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I would correct the tire size first. Your goal is to match up the speed displayed on the Edge with a GPS. When you do this, the speedo will be a couple MPH fast but the odo will be right on.

Quick Reply: Got a used Edge Programer, now what?