No PIP Cignal, 2003 F150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No PIP Cignal, 2003 F150 4.6

Diag found no PIP Cignal, Verified CKP operation all Pass, Voltage Dropped Both CKP Circuits at 104-PIN No Faults, Need PCM Before CONT Diag. $999 to replace PCM and $200 to program.

That is the diag from Ford. When I received the vehicle back, the Harness was unplugged at the Firewall.

I Put the harness back on after the Ford Diag. Vehicle cranks fine, all electrical is working, "won't start", theft light is working per manual specs.

Any suggestions, and if I need a new PCM, is there a better one for my vehicle. Supercomp 35" tires, 6 Inch pro-comp suspension. Stock Gears, 4X2.

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited by F150_Eric; 10-01-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by F150_Eric
Diag found no PIP Cignal, Verified CKP operation all Pass, Voltage Dropped Both CKP Circuits at 104-PIN No Faults, Need CPM Before CONT Diag. $999 to replace CPM and $200 to program.

That is the diag from Ford. When I received the vehicle back, the Harness was unplugged at the Firewall. Put harness back on after the Ford Diag.

Vehicle cranks fine, all electrical is working.

Any suggestions, and if I need a new CPM, is there a better one for my vehicle. Supercomp 35" tires, 6 Inch pro-comp suspension. Stock Gears, 4X2.

Thank you,
Eric
You couldn't possibly make it a bit harder to understand what you need could you? This is a "Chips, Tuners and Programming" forum you know. Your question doesn't seem to be about any of those devices. When you say "CPM", are you possibly talking about the "PCM" (Powertrain Control Module)? If your question is about "Cost Per Mile" or "Critical Path Method", or maybe even the Control Program for Microcomputers, then I think you are lost.

So, if you really want some help here, drop the acronyms and try communicating in standard English.

- Jack

Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by F150_Eric
CONT Diag. $999 to replace CPM and $200 to program.

That is the diag from Ford. When I received the vehicle back, the Harness was unplugged at the Firewall. Put harness back on after the Ford Diag.

Vehicle cranks fine, all electrical is working.

Any suggestions, and if I need a new CPM, is there a better one for my vehicle. Supercomp 35" tires, 6 Inch pro-comp suspension. Stock Gears, 4X2.

Thank you,
Eric
I think he is just reading the paperwork they gave him when he picked his truck up.

I may be way off, and I hope I'm wrong.

It sounds to me they're trying to rip him off by unplugging his computer in the truck. Then telling him he needs a computer $999 and a program $200.

How does the truck run, and why was it at the dealer?

Last edited by Rambo274; 10-01-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added question
Old 10-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Sorry for the thread error:
No PIP Signal, 2003 F150 4.6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F150 towed to Ford because it will not start.
From Ford: Diagnostics found no PIP Signal, Verified CKP operation all Pass, Voltage Dropped Both CKP Circuits at 104-PIN No Faults, Need PCM before CONT Diag.
$999 to replace PCM and $200 to program.
When I received the vehicle back, the Harness was unplugged at the Firewall. Put harness back on after the Ford Diagnostics. Vehicle cranks fine, all electrical is working. Vehicle "Will Not Start". Theft system is working exactly as the manual says it should.
Any suggestions, and if I need a new PCM, is there a better one for my vehicle. Supercomp 35" tires, 6 Inch pro-comp suspension. Stock Gears, 4X2.
Thank you,
Eric

Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You need to start from the beginning. Why was the dealer checking the PCM? What was the truck doing? They ran diagnostics and told you it needs a new PCM?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
OK, sorry if I gave you a rough time. Please, in the future, just say this is what was on the printout I got from the dealer. Upon re-reading your first post, I see that you kind of did that, but I got lost in all the acronyms. :o

And, I tried to post this last night, but the server was down.

From the research I've done, the PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal seems to be generated by a position sensor on the crankshaft. As I understand it, this tells the PCM when to fire the spark at each cylinder.

So, I don't know why the dealer is telling you you need a new PCM if the fault is a missing PIP signal. I think I'd start by replacing that sensor.

I'm in Rambo's camp here. I'd advise getting a second opinion from a different garage.

I just did a quick search on "PIP signal" and got this page of hits: https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4591504 Most of them seem to relate to pre-2000 model trucks, but if I were you, I'd spend some time looking through them. I have to be somewhere in a few minutes, or I'd do it myself, for you.

But, PCMs are really pretty reliable. I think sensors (or the connections to them are more likely to go bad).

- Jack

Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I would find another dealer or reputable mechanic for a second opinion.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I wonder if the connection to the computer was loose and that was the problem all along,and the person at the dealer just plugged up the diag computer gave him the printout and never physyiclly looked at the computer. That way hewould not of known about the connection being not connected. Whatever sensors go through the connection would show up as no signal simply because it was unplugged..

the dealer may have made a simple mistake. Id definately have somebody else look at it though.

Last edited by Rambo274; 10-02-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: hoping the dealer made a mistake and not trying to rip anybody off!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
OK, sorry if I gave you a rough time. Please, in the future, just say this is what was on the printout I got from the dealer. Upon re-reading your first post, I see that you kind of did that, but I got lost in all the acronyms. :o

And, I tried to post this last night, but the server was down.

From the research I've done, the PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal seems to be generated by a position sensor on the crankshaft. As I understand it, this tells the PCM when to fire the spark at each cylinder.

So, I don't know why the dealer is telling you you need a new PCM if the fault is a missing PIP signal. I think I'd start by replacing that sensor.

I'm in Rambo's camp here. I'd advise getting a second opinion from a different garage.

I just did a quick search on "PIP signal" and got this page of hits: https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4591504 Most of them seem to relate to pre-2000 model trucks, but if I were you, I'd spend some time looking through them. I have to be somewhere in a few minutes, or I'd do it myself, for you.

But, PCMs are really pretty reliable. I think sensors (or the connections to them are more likely to go bad).

- Jack
Thank you all so much for the help.
I found a 30amp fuse blown, 2nd row in from engine, closest to the firewall. Replaced it, still not starting. I haven't checked all the fuses yet. When time permits, I will check all fuses, and the position sensor on the crankshaft, and review the https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4591504. And download a manual.

Thanks
Eric

Quick Reply: No PIP Cignal, 2003 F150 4.6