Edge trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 600Polaris
just got off the phone with edge. they said i shouldnt need a reflash just to hook it up to the computer and do the fusion thing. i just downloaded fusion now i just need to get to my truck which is 15 miles away with no wheels. my brother just left for college too so now he cant help... i guess ill get on the neighbors little pink huffy and start my voyage.
Good luck and let us know... i had my first evo mess up and it left my truck stranded and they kept telling me i didnt need to take it to the ford house. After 2 days finally they told me to take it to ford and i got it reprogrammed. Cost 65.00 plus the tow. When my stock tune was erased edge sent me a hand held edge to try to get the stock tune back on the truck but it didnt work. One good thing is they replaced the programmer and reimbursed me for the tow and the bill from ford..

Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i got my device, im on the phone with edge now and apparently i have the lightning software not the fusion. after explaining for a few moments that the computer was the issue not the truck he said i had to send in my PCM, edge power controller and the cord.

now i need some more help please, its about getting the pcm out of the truck. any one with some advice id appreciate it. im pretty mechanically inclined but ive never done much electrical. or if i need to hit the search button you can tell me to do so.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Whoa! That's the first I have heard of having to send in your truck's PCM. Are you sure you heard him correctly? I would think twice before doing that.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
i just called back to double check myself and thats what they said. i have been searching for removal but cant find much. i must be entering the wrong thing into the search engine.

i have to send in the programmer, cable and pcm. i asked them to see if i had the old cable and they said they would check out the cable but its usually the pcm getting old not the cable. they told me the pcm should be behind the glove box. i hope this is right.

would they download the fusion software to it you think? or are they going to reflash the pcm and the edge? all this electronic stuff is a bit new to me. i guess i better learn.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Edge has had bad luck trying to remotely program a stock writer file to the the edge evolution.....

So that's why they want everything.....I really don't think you have a bad pcm......I think when your bro did what he did is he corrupted the file flashed to the pcm and also the firmware in the programmer along with that the cable might have gotten toasted....

Just a note....ALL cables for the 97-03+04h are an accident waiting to happen.....I'm saying that nicely

Take care and good luck....

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM
they said something along the lines that it is happening in the 04-07 too just less. that it happened to the pre 97 7.3s then the 97-03 f150s now starteing to show in newer things. they claim its not them but the pcm and not the cable tho... just the computer getting old...

the pcm should be just a couple of wiring harnesses and a few small bolts to take out, im assuming 8mm, ill disconnect the battery first of course. pretty easy right?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM

they said something along the lines that it is happening in the 04-07 too just less. that it happened to the pre 97 7.3s then the 97-03 f150s now starteing to show in newer things. they claim its not them but the pcm and not the cable tho... just the computer getting old...

the pcm should be just a couple of wiring harnesses and a few small bolts to take out, im assuming 8mm, ill disconnect the battery first of course. pretty easy right?
ya disconnect the battery before removing the pcm.....after disconnecting turn on your headlights for 15 min to dissipate all charges.....

Any electrical work with the edge evolution/gryphon plugged in, is susceptible to corrupting the programmers firmware, board, etc....that's why its recommended to unplug the programmer when doing an activity involving electrical work....this is what most of the problems are....

Personally I think they're full of it.....the pcms in these trucks are pretty solid....

Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow I didn't think getting the PCM out would be so much fun! At least it's out now and hopefully ede will help me out. Now does anyone know how much this will run me, well my brother really. I figured since my edge is 4yo the warranty would be up. They didn't mention price on the phone.

I do have a carborated 460 in need of a home. Doubt it will fit well.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
i dont know what others have experienced with edge customer service but so far they have been great. they are replacing my edge evo with a brand new one and new cable as well. i will also get the new fusion software as well. i guess my pcm and old one arrived at edge today so i havent gotten it back yet to see if it will all work but i believe it should.

now i have a question, when i set my edge up on level 2 four years ago i believe i retarded the timing just a little bit to run better with my intake and exhaust. is this what someone would recommend with the new one as well or should i just run the canned level 2 tune? i run level two(towing) because it fits my driving style. i dont have to go above 2k rpm and get up to speed just fine, like a little diesel. all low end and im getting 18mpg. of course thats with the 285s off.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM

i dont know what others have experienced with edge customer service but so far they have been great. they are replacing my edge evo with a brand new one and new cable as well. i will also get the new fusion software as well. i guess my pcm and old one arrived at edge today so i havent gotten it back yet to see if it will all work but i believe it should.

now i have a question, when i set my edge up on level 2 four years ago i believe i retarded the timing just a little bit to run better with my intake and exhaust. is this what someone would recommend with the new one as well or should i just run the canned level 2 tune? i run level two(towing) because it fits my driving style. i dont have to go above 2k rpm and get up to speed just fine, like a little diesel. all low end and im getting 18mpg. of course thats with the 285s off.
Timing will not adjust the a/f ratio.....thats one of the reasons tuners write custom tunes......

Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
yes but i have been searching around and i think its too late for me to get custom tunes...since php is the only one who has the rights to customize programmers from edge and they no longer do them...97-03
what i am finding out is that the only way to get them would be to sell the edge and get something else, if i want the custom tunes. is this correct?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
yes but i have been searching around and i think its too late for me to get custom tunes...since php is the only one who has the rights to customize programmers from edge and they no longer do them...97-03
what i am finding out is that the only way to get them would be to sell the edge and get something else, if i want the custom tunes. is this correct?
If you have the older, monochrome Edge Evolution, yes! You can get a CS/CTS programmer from Edge or PHP and it can be custom tuned, as can an SCT X3.

- Jack

Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Well I got my PCM and programmer back from edge. The truck runs but the PCM won't connect to the edge now. They said if I ship that back they will send me the new 550 dollar cs one that's fancier or something so I think I missed out on having the old one. Not quite sure what the difference is between the old one and the new one

I don't know which version of the edge I had. I had the old 4 button with the screen to the right.

Did I do bad getting shipped the new fancy one? Should I have them send back the old one so I can custom tune it? I thought I couldn't custom tune the evo. I didn't even know there were different versions. Wow I sound like a fool.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Well I got my PCM and programmer back from edge. The truck runs but the PCM won't connect to the edge now. They said if I ship that back they will send me the new 550 dollar cs one that's fancier or something so I think I missed out on having the old one. Not quite sure what the difference is between the old one and the new one

I don't know which version of the edge I had. I had the old 4 button with the screen to the right.

Did I do bad getting shipped the new fancy one? Should I have them send back the old one so I can custom tune it? I thought I couldn't custom tune the evo. I didn't even know there were different versions. Wow I sound like a fool.
You're better off with the new CS for your truck. They did good for you.

- Jack

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
i believe they done good to me. actually im pretty happy. it never ran bad with the old one and after checking out this new one on their website ill be alright i think.

i also didnt read your post correctly jack. i was riding around and read it quick. you said you can custom tune a cs. i am goin to research that now.

Quick Reply: Edge trouble