Gryphon EOT Alert ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon EOT Alert ??

I was parked outside my house for a few minutes and my gryphon alerted me that my EOT was 201-202 . I drove around the block and when I got back home the alert came off..

I checked my oil levels and all was fine.. what could be causing this ??

Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MedicF150
I was parked outside my house for a few minutes and my gryphon alerted me that my EOT was 201-202 . I drove around the block and when I got back home the alert came off..

I checked my oil levels and all was fine.. what could be causing this ??
You've got the alert level for Engine Oil Temperature set way too low. I'm surprised you haven't seen it before this. The EOT will normally be very close to the CHT, unless you put the engine under load, then it will shoot up very fast, going higher than the CHT. Oil is one way an engine gets rid of excessive heat - if you let the oil level drop, the engine will run hotter.

My alert for EOT is 250 degrees. I've seen it get close to this climbing a 12-mile, 7% grade in 100 degree heat while pulling a trailer at 65 mph and in 2nd gear. Note, this is not something I like to do, but when you're on a 75 mph Interstate, it's not cool to be the slowest thing in traffic.

- Jack

Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Thats The setting it came with. I figured that was stock

Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 PM

201-202 deg. Alarm came on again today under normal driving. and stayed on for about 5 min. even after getting on the hwy. I did notice the throttle felt a bit rough or raspy(not sure how to describe it) and then it went away. I had the radio up and hadnt noticed the gryphon was flashing until i felt the truck running different and thats when I looked up and saw it flashing.

What could be causing my EOT to be going up like this ?? Also what are the cons of having elevated oil temps ??

I then changed my display setting and watched my EOT for the rest of the day and it was between 184-189 ..

Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by MedicF150
201-202 deg. Alarm came on again today under normal driving. and stayed on for about 5 min. even after getting on the hwy. I did notice the throttle felt a bit rough or raspy(not sure how to describe it) and then it went away. I had the radio up and hadnt noticed the gryphon was flashing until i felt the truck running different and thats when I looked up and saw it flashing.

What could be causing my EOT to be going up like this ?? Also what are the cons of having elevated oil temps ??

I then changed my display setting and watched my EOT for the rest of the day and it was between 184-189 ..
All I can say is, your truck runs VERY cool - too cool in fact. To run properly, in closed loop, the CHT should be about 200-210 degrees. The oil temperature would match. Anything below that and the coolant thermostat would not be open and you'd be running rich.

Now, if you're driving around in someplace cold like Alaska, you might see temps like yours, but here in Tucson, mine are in the 205-215 degree range. And, I've never had the truck "run rough", even when the CHT went up to 225 and the EOT went to 245.

While VERY high temperatures will degrade oil, you'd probably get an oil change before it was degraded to the point it might harm your engine. The only "upper limit" on oil temperature I know of is the "flash point" and as I recall that's somewhere around 350 degrees.

The engine will not go into "fail safe mode" until the CHT reaches 258. It automatically shuts down at a CHT of 310 degrees.

- Jack

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm in the same situation as the OP... just no alert. I monitored it today and for a 8 mile drive in 60* weather my EOT raised to a max of 174 and the CHT was 180s. I've had a suspicion that my truck might be running a bit rich on the tune... It was lean before so I wonder if Bill over compensated... in the winter, my engine temp gauge or whatever it is on the dash doesn't even hit the center mark

Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I'm in the same situation as the OP... just no alert. I monitored it today and for a 8 mile drive in 60* weather my EOT raised to a max of 174 and the CHT was 180s. I've had a suspicion that my truck might be running a bit rich on the tune... It was lean before so I wonder if Bill over compensated... in the winter, my engine temp gauge or whatever it is on the dash doesn't even hit the center mark
Good Lord, John - those are VERY low numbers. And, having lived in the DC area for a while, I would not expect this in the summer.

I have no clue here. But I KNOW that Ford really wants the engine to run in the 200-210 degree range, and I think that's where it should be.

Edit: A somewhat rich tune on a gasser WILL run cooler, but 20 degrees is ridiculous.

- Jack

Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 PM

I did have a coil go bad last winter and fouled plugs (since changed)... would it have fouled an O2 sensor and make the readings off? For a while I was getting a P0430 code, but haven't seen it since February. I just posted on a thread I had on PHP... wonder if it might need an adjustment. Any thoughts on what readings to get for Bill to datalog the tune from my Gryphon Jack?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Global Moderator &

I did have a coil go bad last winter and fouled plugs (since changed)... would it have fouled an O2 sensor and make the readings off? For a while I was getting a P0430 code, but haven't seen it since February. I just posted on a thread I had on PHP... wonder if it might need an adjustment. Any thoughts on what readings to get for Bill to datalog the tune from my Gryphon Jack?
Boy, I'm way in over my head here. A fouled O2 sensor would screw up the closed loop fueling, but that much? And, without throwing a code?

The CHT and EOT readings are from totally independent sensors. They have nothing to do with an O2 sensor reading or with each other. (But, unless the engine is under load, the CHT and EOT readings will be very close.)

I honestly have no clue why your engine should be running so cool, unless you're in Alaska.

Longshot270 has been doing a lot with datalogging, while I've done nothing (never had to), so he might have some ideas. He's a Mod at PHP, and he has a good mind. Make sure he knows about this. PM him if necessary.

- Jack

Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Well to add more to the pot... did more observing today. The truck cold was in the 60s for both iirc. Then it slowly raised the EOT up to a max of 174 and the CHT up to 188 and a max of 190 when under a load. This included some back roads (30-35 mph) then merging onto the state road (40-45) then finally getting on the highway where I was 62-65 mph for say 8-10 miles, then merged to another highway for 1 miles and then on a state road with speeds 40-45 for 4 miles. I did a data stream so I will check it tonight when I get home to see if it says anything.

I appreciate your help Jack and I'll pm this thread to Longshot

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
TG, I'd replace the thermostat - it sounds like it's either sticking part way open or opening at too low a temp.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

I have no clue here. But I KNOW that Ford really wants the engine to run in the 200-210 degree range, and I think that's where it should be.

- Jack
X2 mine is always anywhere from 198 to 212.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by glc
TG, I'd replace the thermostat - it sounds like it's either sticking part way open or opening at too low a temp.
Would that cause what I am seeing? The temps are very consistent

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My CHT has always been 194 to 196, even when the outside temp is 108, and the EOT was always just a couple of degrees higher, so I quit monitoring the EOT. My tranny temp has always been on the cool side as well

Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Would that cause what I am seeing? The temps are very consistent
Possibly - Now that I think of it (my brain cells seem to take longer and longer to kick in nowadays), the thermostat, when it "fails", fails to the open position, which would make sense, since it wouldn't leave you stranded with an overheated engine.

Now, the normal opening temperature of the stat is 195 degrees, and it opens just a little bit at that temp. As things get hotter, it opens more. It's probably full open at 205-210. Once it opens fully, it no longer controls the engine temps and things are governed by the health of your radiator, coolent level and the speed of the fluid clutch driven fan (as well as airflow due to vehicle speed, outside air temperature and so on).

Now, if the stat is stuck full open, the engine will warm up very slowly. You should see a more rich running engine and your gas usage should be higher. If the outside air temperature is not too high and your engine load is low, it may never reach normal operating temperature in the time you drive it, and even if it does, it might cool down below that point if the stat is full open.

So, now that I'm finally seeing the "obvious", I think it would be a good idea to inspect, and you might as well replace the thermostat. They are pretty cheap (at least they used to be), and if you go to the trouble of getting it out, you might as well put in a new one.

This seems a more logical and simple explanation than a software error in the programmer, since it explains all your symptoms.

Here in Tucson, with our current 100 degree outside temps, my truck would probably reach normal operating temperature even with the stat fully open.

Good on ya, glc!

- Jack

Quick Reply: Gryphon EOT Alert ??