Edge Install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Install question

Hey gents, had an edge about 4 years ago on a 2004 F150. As I recall, I had to turn the key to acc. position and load the tunes from there. I have a new Edge Evo CS to install on a 2005, and nowhere in the manual does it say how to load the tunes.

Do I just connection everything, start the truck and then set the tune level after that, or do I have to do something before I start it? The manual is silent, other than to show how to install the unit and then how to work through the menus.

Those of you who have an Edge Evo. installed, did you just plug it in then start the truck?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Plug it in and turn the key to ACC, then load your tunes, it will have you cycle your key from off to on a few times during the process.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by FallenF96
Plug it in and turn the key to ACC, then load your tunes, it will have you cycle your key from off to on a few times during the process.
Thanks, is the process guided by the display on the Edge Evo? You would think the User's Guide would detail the process, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, its fool proof, if your not doing something right it will stop and make you start over. It gives you prompts for key off, key on, and once it is done programming you just start your truck. Have fun with it, get yourself a custom tune too! Cheers

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks, a PHP tune is on the short list as soon as I get the n-fab bars Line-X'ed, the Rancho Quick lifts installed, the Leer topper, and the new tires installed!

I'll give it a shot and see if I can't get the canned tune loaded first!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
It's something a 5-year old can do if he can read and follow directions. But, they're complicated: You have to be able to respond correctly to commands like: "Turn key to off position, then press Enter".

Some would find a task like this an insurmountable challenge.

- Jack

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
It's something a 5-year old can do if he can read and follow directions. But, they're complicated: You have to be able to respond correctly to commands like: "Turn key to off position, then press Enter".

Some would find a task like this an insurmountable challenge.

- Jack
As Jack posted....pretty simple and I'll add don't get distracted by anything and turn all accessories off.....

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
And make sure your battery is fully charged.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Some people have been known to start a programming session, then they walk away from the truck to have lunch or a few beers, then catch a football game and finally come back to discover their battery dead and the PCM corrupted. Others have been known to unplug the device or try to start the truck partway through the programming process, giving the same results.

In other words, it's simple, but you can't account for "stupid".

- Jack

Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Fortunately, none of those unfortunate outcomes befell me. I was able to follow the on-screen instructions without issue. Now the biggest challenge is deciding what information to display. i'll have to go looking for Dark Flint spray paint to get it to match the interior. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Whytknyt
Fortunately, none of those unfortunate outcomes befell me. I was able to follow the on-screen instructions without issue. Now the biggest challenge is deciding what information to display. i'll have to go looking for Dark Flint spray paint to get it to match the interior. Thanks for all the replies.
Just shows you're one of the "intelligent ones"! Good luck on the spray paint though. You MAY have to have it custom mixed. It's actually not too expensive to have this done. I've never found any "off the shelf" paint that matches.

- Jack

Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good job!

You passed.....

Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Congrats on getting it installed and working, I took the triple gauge pod to the dealers body shop and had them spray it for me and it came out a perfect match and only cost me $30.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
On my last truck, I recall ordering a can of spray paint from the dealer in the Dark Flint that matched perfectly, albeit a $20 can of paint. May have to go that route again for simplicity.

Just my luck, the day after I get the Edge CS installed, I get an email that there is a new software version available. So I guess I'll pull it and update it tonight. The battle never ends......

Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
On my last truck, I recall ordering a can of spray paint from the dealer in the Dark Flint that matched perfectly, albeit a $20 can of paint. May have to go that route again for simplicity.

Just my luck, the day after I get the Edge CS installed, I get an email that there is a new software version available. So I guess I'll pull it and update it tonight. The battle never ends......
If it is working well, why update? I had mine for a several upgrades before I went to custom tunes and I never updated. It seemed that those that updated quite often started having issues.

Quick Reply: Edge Install question