I like my Superchip but have Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my Superchip but have Question?

I just bought a superchip flashpack today even after reading so many bad posts on here about it....

I have a 06 4.6L, K&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 6" Procomp with 35" KM2's.

I downloaded the K&N CAI program from Superchip's website even though it says 5.4L as the rep at Superchip said it was also used on the 4.6L. Is this true??? Am I going to hurt my engine with this program??? I only drive the truck about a 1,000 miles a year, it is in my garage most of the time but want it to last as long as possible...

I adjusted the tire size and am currently running the 87 CAI program and can honestly say that it made a huge difference I believe mainly due the shift points being back in the right RPM...

I have heard so many bad things and people saying to by Edge, Troyer or Gryphon but I am actually pretty happy with it...Is it all in my head? Actually I believe that Superchip and Edge are owned by the same company...

Thanks, John....

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by jerhelo
Actually I believe that Superchip and Edge are owned by the same company...

Thanks, John....
Correct, MSD bought Superchips in 2005,
Edge Products is part of the MSD Performance Family (Which includes MSD Ignition, Superchips and Racepak). On February 1, 2011, the strategic decision was made to integrate Edge Products and Superchips into one company. The new entity will operate under the name "Powerteq". Edge Products and Superchips will continue their identity as retail brands managed by Powerteq. With the two leaders in electronic performance coming together under the Powerteq banner, Edge Products will continue to deliver industry revolutionizing products that offer customers an extraordinary driving experience.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I just bought a superchip flashpack today even after reading so many bad posts on here about it....

I have a 06 4.6L, K&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 6" Procomp with 35" KM2's.

I downloaded the K&N CAI program from Superchip's website even though it says 5.4L as the rep at Superchip said it was also used on the 4.6L. Is this true??? Am I going to hurt my engine with this program???
... etc ...
and am currently running the 87 CAI program and can honestly say that it made a huge difference
... etc ...
I have heard so many bad things and people saying to by Edge, Troyer or Gryphon but I am actually pretty happy with it
,,, etc ...
Thanks, John....
I'ld go by what the rep at SC said but there is a Superchips Forum at https://www.superchips.com/forum/ that might shed some more light on your deal.

I've posted several times in several different threads here.

There are those who have custom tunes in programable tuners that cost more and they often, not always, but often choose to look down their noses at those who use "canned tunes". They'll often, not always, but often tell you that much more HP or Tq can be had with a custom tune that cost more $$$ and often requires a long wait and which may need a "retuning" if you make additional changes. Many of them are pretty deeply invested in their tuners, it's expected that they think thenm it must be greatly superior.

Then there are those, like me, who have a cat back exhaust, maybe a different intake set up, who wanted better shifting, who wanted some choices, who did not want a long wait, and who found that a tuner such as the Superchips Flashpaq 1865 suited them perfectly.

I'ld be willing to bet that a custom tune wouldn't get me 10 HP over what I have now with the 1865. I actually was steered to this tuner by the folks at Troyer which is all of 40 road miles from here. I expected them to try to sell me a setup with custom tunes. They didn't. They listened to what I had and what I wanted and they made me very happy.

I go online and update it every now and then. I run the 87 perf tune that allows some trailering. I even experienced a slight gain in gas mileage with a definate increase in responsiveness and power and better shifting over stock.

If it's blown, if you've cammed it, other radical mods .... you have to have custom tunes. But for a truck that's gonna remain basically stock, these do a superb job at a great price.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Custom tunes done right will always be better than the canned ones but I ran 100K miles on a Superchips 1715 tuner with absolutely no problems. I was bone stock and it made the truck a lot more driveable. I also averaged 17mpg on the big 5.4 Supercrew so I can't complain. If you do not plan any mods and you are happy then it is a win for you. I would not use a 5.4 tune on a 4.6 though.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I ran canned tunes for 30,000 miles and thought I was content. That was until I decided to go with a custom tune. The custom tune gave me similar performance to a 93 canned tune plus much improved shifting and downshifting over the canned tune. The custom tunes paid for themselves in 6 months, as I was running a 93 canned tune to get the performance I wanted. You can compare it to buying something that is "one size fits all" or buying the same thing that is made for your size. There is nothing wrong with the canned tunes. If they are all you need/want, then fine, but there is a signifaant difference for those that need something for a little better fit. I argued for canned tunes for over a year, until I tried the custom.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I think the fact that the 1715 3 program version's canned tunes were co-written by Troyer probably helped their performance.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Norm
I think the fact that the 1715 3 program version's canned tunes were co-written by Troyer probably helped their performance.
Yes, I'm sure. The same way that Bill's involvement with Edge helped theirs. It also means that Bill knows where the Edge programs cam be tweaked for better performance.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I ran canned tunes for 30,000 miles and thought I was content. That was until I decided to go with a custom tune. The custom tune gave me similar performance to a 93 canned tune plus much improved shifting and downshifting over the canned tune. The custom tunes paid for themselves in 6 months, as I was running a 93 canned tune to get the performance I wanted. You can compare it to buying something that is "one size fits all" or buying the same thing that is made for your size. There is nothing wrong with the canned tunes. If they are all you need/want, then fine, but there is a signifaant difference for those that need something for a little better fit. I argued for canned tunes for over a year, until I tried the custom.
I am still having a hard time believing that there is much more to get from a tuner on these gas trucks. I think even if I am lucky enough to get another 8-10 HP I would not notice it very much. Maybe that is just me but I was looking for an additional few horsepower and to clean up my shift points as the 35"s were really messing with my transmission. I must say that I was a litte more wanting one of these custom tunes but Superchips is right here in Florida near me, I drove to their office and picked one up and love it. I Downloaded the CAI tune and it actually improved over the standard tune. I have a 4.6 and was impressed with the improvement.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm
... etc ...
If you do not plan any mods and you are happy then it is a win for you. I would not use a 5.4 tune on a 4.6 though.
The Superchips FP does not apply the same tune to a 4.6 as it does a 5.4. It is loaded with multiple tunes and will apply only the ones that are applicable to the vhicle as determined by it's read on the VIN. My Flashpaq 1865 covers a range of years of F-150s with 4.6, 5.4, and 5.4 3v as well as Mustangs including the Shelby GT500 and some Jeep. I don't see it applying the same tune in each case though.

Last edited by tbear853; 06-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Global Moderator &

I am still having a hard time believing that there is much more to get from a tuner on these gas trucks. I think even if I am lucky enough to get another 8-10 HP I would not notice it very much. Maybe that is just me but I was looking for an additional few horsepower and to clean up my shift points as the 35"s were really messing with my transmission. I must say that I was a litte more wanting one of these custom tunes but Superchips is right here in Florida near me, I drove to their office and picked one up and love it. I Downloaded the CAI tune and it actually improved over the standard tune. I have a 4.6 and was impressed with the improvement.
As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Just to reiterate, I was totally happy till I finally ordered a custom and I would really hate to go back to the canned. The main differenceon mine is that I have similar power now on 87 to the 93 tune and the downshifting characteristics.

One nice feature of staying on canned, is that you don't have to worry about the dealer reflashing and wiping out your custom tune.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
The Superchips FP does not apply the same tune to a 4.6 as it does a 5.4. It is loaded with multiple tunes and will apply only the ones that are applicable to the vhicle as determined by it's read on the VIN. My Flashpaq 1865 covers a range of years of F-150s with 4.6, 5.4, and 5.4 3v as well as Mustangs including the Shelby GT500 and some Jeep. I don't see it applying the same tune in each case though.
I know that but thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: I like my Superchip but have Question?