5 Star Tuning..... One of the best

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Star Tuning..... One of the best

I recently sold my Edge CS that I had on my 2010 FX4. I thought that I wouldnt miss it and the stock tune would be fine. I drove my truck the other day for the first time and it really sucked stock, so bad that I immediately decided I had to have another programmer.

There are tons of choices out there on which vendor and what programmer to go with. I decided to give PHP a call and was going to see about ordering a custom tuned CS. Of course they did not answer their phone or even return a email from me so they lost me as a customer from lack of customer service. I even had a problem getting in touch with them when I ordered my old CS last year. Now I had two choices based off the forums (Troyers lead time turned me off from them from the get go). No go on PHP and no go on Troyer. I called 5 Star and left a message, not even 5 minutes later someone called me back and answered all my questions. I pondered over this for the night and decided to pull the trigger on 5 Star. Called the next morning and gave them all of my information and 2 days later I had a programmer sitting on my door!!!

The SCT takes way longer to load compared to the Edge but my lost power is back and then some. On top of that the trans feels totally different in a good way. With the Edge the only thing I noticed was the shifts felt more crisp. With the SCT the truck seems to stay in its power band more and shifts perfect, no more lugging around. They even sent some directions on how to load up the tune which I thought was really nice.

For anyone considering a programmer call up 5 star and pull the trigger. Mike is a great guy and offers a damn good product. What more could you ask for, they have great customer service, and they offer a great product. To me customer service is a huge thing and the guys over at 5 star have that down!! Call them and see for yourselves .

Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
I recently sold my Edge CS that I had on my 2010 FX4. I thought that I wouldnt miss it and the stock tune would be fine. I drove my truck the other day for the first time and it really sucked stock, so bad that I immediately decided I had to have another programmer.

There are tons of choices out there on which vendor and what programmer to go with. I decided to give PHP a call and was going to see about ordering a custom tuned CS. Of course they did not answer their phone or even return a email from me so they lost me as a customer from lack of customer service. I even had a problem getting in touch with them when I ordered my old CS last year. Now I had two choices based off the forums (Troyers lead time turned me off from them from the get go). No go on PHP and no go on Troyer. I called 5 Star and left a message, not even 5 minutes later someone called me back and answered all my questions. I pondered over this for the night and decided to pull the trigger on 5 Star. Called the next morning and gave them all of my information and 2 days later I had a programmer sitting on my door!!!
There are not tons of choices out there for programmers that offer custom tunes for your year of truck....
The SCT takes way longer to load compared to the Edge but my lost power is back and then some. On top of that the trans feels totally different in a good way. With the Edge the only thing I noticed was the shifts felt more crisp. With the SCT the truck seems to stay in its power band more and shifts perfect, no more lugging around. They even sent some directions on how to load up the tune which I thought was really nice.
The sct programming session for 09+ trucks takes longer because its programming two different computers.....the motor and tranny...Edge only programs the motor...
For anyone considering a programmer call up 5 star and pull the trigger. Mike is a great guy and offers a damn good product. What more could you ask for, they have great customer service, and they offer a great product. To me customer service is a huge thing and the guys over at 5 star have that down!! Call them and see for yourselves .
This is exactly what people used to say about Troyer and PHP until they got popular and busy....VMPtuning is another example....
Replies in bold.....

Enjoy your new programmer and tunes...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes there are a lot of choices out there but I have always wanted to purchase something that has been proven by others. I have never read anything negative about 5 Star so that lead me to them as well. Justin over at VMP was my second choice.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Yes there are a lot of choices out there but I have always wanted to purchase something that has been proven by others. I have never read anything negative about 5 Star so that lead me to them as well. Justin over at VMP was my second choice.
I been mulling over getting a tuner for awhile. Does your truck have a 4.6L 3V triton engine?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Joe_STX
I been mulling over getting a tuner for awhile. Does your truck have a 4.6L 3V triton engine?
no it has the 5.4. They offer tunes for the 4.6 as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Joe_STX
I have 5 Star tunes for the 10 4.6 3V and they are great. They have agreat customer service and will no doubt be busy with this kind of service. I emailed him with a request to tweak my 87 perf/tow tune and 15 minutes later I had had it emailed to me.

IMO the programmer and tunes were worth it for me as the driveability of the truck is much improved! I never really thought it was that bad until I put the tune on and wow!

I have the 87 eco, 87 perfor/tow, 93 perform.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Im giving 5 star a try this week. Had VMP tunes on my 08 and they were good. But after hearing all the good thing about 5 Star, i want to give them a try for my 10. Doesnt hurt that they answered an email in about 10 minutes. I'll give some feedback when i get the tunes.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I am going with 5 Star also. They responded extremely quick to my email...Res4cue, what mods did you have on your truck before you got the tunes?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Nothing, it is stock. 5 star will tweak tunes as you add mods, plus this was a "get the most for my money" purchase as I won't be able to buy anything else for it for a bit.

I am trying to run down my tank of 87 so I can try the 93 but am scared that I will like it too much! lol

Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by jake.balog
*******!!!! delete my account.
WOW, an educated response from a twit!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM
got a website???

Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by navybrat02
got a website???
http://www.5startuning.com/

Last edited by wahoohunter; 06-13-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by wahoohunter
If you send them a email you will have a response probably within the hour. Both times I called noone answered but I left a message and someone returned my call within 10 minutes .

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
what gains did you see

Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by saleenjames
what gains did you see
Im running the 87 performance tune and plan to leave it set on that. Throttle response is greatly improved, you barely touch the gas and the truck wants to go. Biggest gains I saw were in the transmission. The truck no longer lugs around in the lowest gear. When you step on the gas the truck quickly downshifts down to the correct gear. When I had the stock tune the truck seemed to always be hunting for gears and constantly changing. I think most of this comes from them programming the trans to hold each gear just a tad longer but im sure they will tell you exactly what is changed if you ask them. To be honest its the single best mod I have done.

I recently had the Edge CS and was happy with what that did but the SCT really changes the transmission on these trucks. I recently found out that the Edge CS only changes the shift firmness and nothing else on the 09-10 platform. With that said thats why im happier with the SCT. As I said earlier, call them up and you wont be disappointed.

I wish I had some mpg data to report but I rarely drive my truck. I have only driven it 20 miles since I put the tuner on it last week. As soon as I left my driveway the truck drove way better from the get go.

I would bet Justins tunes over at VMP will basically do the same thing since he also uses the SCT tuner.

Quick Reply: 5 Star Tuning..... One of the best