CAI with edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CAI with edge

I have an edge cs on a 2007 screw and was wondering what i can do if i get a banks ram air intake. i know that the 5.4 will run lean without a custom tune so is there a way to adjust that with my edge? Ive tried searching for a similar thread and had no luck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bighahn
I have an edge cs on a 2007 screw and was wondering what i can do if i get a banks ram air intake. i know that the 5.4 will run lean without a custom tune so is there a way to adjust that with my edge? Ive tried searching for a similar thread and had no luck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
No.

MGD

Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
No.

MGD
Wow thanks! what am I supposed to do then? turn it into a gryphon?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Yes

Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow thanks! what am I supposed to do then? turn it into a gryphon?
yup

Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The 5.4 flat panel oem filter will flow up to 500 cfm, the cone filter will flow up to 1000 cfm (because of more surface area), the 5.4 engine has a max CFM intake of 480 (sorry but the laws of physics at work here)....if there is any minor adjustment, the pcm will more than take care of it within 50 miles (or more likely immediately after warm-up)

Anyone retailer who states that by merely installing an aftermarket intake will create a lean engine condition is , well......how do I say this.....the PCM and sensors are all designed to track and ensure the fuel mixture is correct and if it's not, it will adjust the fuel mixture up to 10% to compensate....you would have to have a lot of engine performance mods to exceed that or have a real special circumstance of elevation that would create an excessive lean or rich mixture in which case, the oem has e-based solutions for.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
The 5.4 flat panel oem filter will flow up to 500 cfm, the cone filter will flow up to 1000 cfm (because of more surface area), the 5.4 engine has a max CFM intake of 480 (sorry but the laws of physics at work here)....if there is any minor adjustment, the pcm will more than take care of it within 50 miles (or more likely immediately after warm-up)

Anyone retailer who states that by merely installing an aftermarket intake will create a lean engine condition is , well......how do I say this.....the PCM and sensors are all designed to track and ensure the fuel mixture is correct and if it's not, it will adjust the fuel mixture up to 10% to compensate....you would have to have a lot of engine performance mods to exceed that or have a real special circumstance of elevation that would create an excessive lean or rich mixture in which case, the oem has e-based solutions for.
Except in open loop; where the settings are fixed. Hence the problem. Especially during WOT.

And the throttle body ultimately has the final say as to how much air enters the engine.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Ha. thanks for all the info but now I have people saying two different things. Hmm... what do to?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid

You are missing a key piece of the puzzle. The problem is not the cfm of the filter. It is the relocation of the MAF on some CAI kits that causes the problem. On the new 3v engine the MAF relies on the location and volume of the intake after the filter for its transfer function. Before 04 on the 2v engines the MAF had its own calibrated volume and was not upset by relocation in CAI kits. The lean condition is well documented in 04 and early 05 motors even with stock intakes. Ford did make some changes after that.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
^^^ well stated, Norm, and correct.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Norm
You are missing a key piece of the puzzle. The problem is not the cfm of the filter. It is the relocation of the MAF on some CAI kits that causes the problem. On the new 3v engine the MAF relies on the location and volume of the intake after the filter for its transfer function. Before 04 on the 2v engines the MAF had its own calibrated volume and was not upset by relocation in CAI kits. The lean condition is well documented in 04 and early 05 motors even with stock intakes. Ford did make some changes after that.
I am now in the market for a tuner, but now I wonder if it would be better to find a CAI as well. I haven't seen any for the new 3v 4.6 that I have in my truck. What are your thoughts about this? I am worried about messing with it to much in fears of it running to lean.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Tuner first. Don't bother with CAI.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:26 PM
There are several out there. I have been looking at Hypertech and Superchips because I don't have a lot of $$ to throw at one at this point. I assume either would be good, right?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I would recommend a device that can load custom tunes even if you do not need them now. Look at the stickies at the top of this forum.

Quick Reply: CAI with edge