Custom tunes... varying octanes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Custom tunes... varying octanes

Kind of a simple question I've been searching for weeks, no responses I found helpful to date.

Simply, I have a edited custom 87 tune Bill fixed for me. I switched to the 93 canned. Can I bump the timing the correct increments to 93 and safely run it?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Kind of a simple question I've been searching for weeks, no responses I found helpful to date.

Simply, I have a edited custom 87 tune Bill fixed for me. I switched to the 93 canned. Can I bump the timing the correct increments to 93 and safely run it?
John - forgive me, are you saying you want to run an 87 octane tune with 93 octane gas and increase the timing to compensate for the increased knock resistance? If that's your question, the answer is "yes" - But I think I'd advance the timing in "steps". Possibly try 2.5 degrees at first, then 2.75 and finally the full 3.0 degrees if things seem ok.

Timing adjustments are not really "precise" things (due to manufacturing differences in each engine) and gas octane is not necessarily too exact either. So, it's best to "sneak up on it".

- Jack

Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You got it my friend The 87 is a custom tune, which is why I was unsure if it could be done. I'll have to give it a shot. It's great having you around to help with stuff like this Jack

Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24

Simply, I have an edited CUSTOM 87 tune Bill fixed for me. I switched to the 93 canned. Can I bump the timing the correct increments to 93 and safely run it?
I wouldn't.....different A/F tables are used besides the timing curves....

Sorry Jack but I disagree, custom tunes have a lot less play than canned tunes do.

JMHO

Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
I wouldn't.....different A/F tables are used besides the timing curves....

Sorry Jack but I disagree, custom tunes have a lot less play than canned tunes do.

JMHO
No offense taken, my friend. I'm simply going on what Bill Cohron has said (by way of Corey) - "It's not a problem to use high octane gas in a low octane tune and increase timing, but it CAN be a problem to use low octane gas in a high octane tune while retarding the timing."

I certainly recognize though, that you're not going to get the "best" out of your powertrain with that setup. But, PHP has said there shouldn't be any danger of damage when using the high priced liquid in a low octane tune.

I wonder about A/F ratios too. Would high octane gas have a different stoich than low octane? I know ethanol changes the stoich, but knock inhibitors?

And, I recognize that a tune for power does involve a slightly lower stoich setting than the "optimum".

So anyway, John - now you've got two "opinions"! Each one's probably worth exactly what you paid for them.

- Jack

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would not use a timing adjustment for that big a difference. It's fine to adjust for 93 on a 91 tune, but to adjust for 93 on an 87 tune is just more than I would want to run. I would not have a problem of bumping for 89 on an 87 tune.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but what would be the purpose/benefit of running 93octane gas w/an 87 tune or vice versa? Why wouldn't you just run 87 gas w/the 87 tune and 93 gas w/the 93 tune?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dre23
Please excuse my ignorance, but what would be the purpose/benefit of running 93octane gas w/an 87 tune or vice versa? Why wouldn't you just run 87 gas w/the 87 tune and 93 gas w/the 93 tune?
Let's say you run a 93 perf tune 99% of the time......
Yer buddy calls you up to come pull a trailer TODAY.....you want to switch to yer 87 tow tune cause you don't have a 93 tow tune and the night before you just topped off yer tank with 93.

You can't go 87 to 93 but with adjusting the timing you can go the other way as J+J pointed out but I do remember that situation was for towing and not performance tunes.

I do agree with Bluejay that it is a big step......

As a general rule of thumb you should always get a tow tune in the same octane as what your performance tune is.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Let's say you run a 93 perf tune 99% of the time......
Yer buddy calls you up to come pull a trailer TODAY.....you want to switch to yer 87 tow tune cause you don't have a 93 tow tune and the night before you just topped off yer tank with 93.

You can't go 87 to 93 but with adjusting the timing you can go the other way as J+J pointed out but I do remember that situation was for towing and not performance tunes.

I do agree with Bluejay that it is a big step......

As a general rule of thumb you should always get a tow tune in the same octane as what your performance tune is.
Oh, okay that makes sense. Thanks for filling me in!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
test

Quick Reply: Custom tunes... varying octanes