Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
and another free post

in before the lock
Nice!!!

In before the lock.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if I had known about these resistors, I wouldn't have wasted my money on a built motor or trans with the supporting mods...

Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thejake1989
Agreed
x2 but for a different reason. too many people who think they know it all but have never actually tried one of these so their input is not even worth $.02. then every single person who says they had or have one is getting ridiculed and getting told it wont work or it will destroy your engine or whatever. even tho at least 3 people have put their experiences on here that it works. it was never said that it is better than anything like a tuner. but for those of us who didnt have the money for a tuner or cold air intake at the time, it was a nice little power bump. i dont think anyone really cares to get it dynoed just to post the numbers of an 8hp gain on here just to satify the people who "know it all" because even with that info, they will still tell you that you are wrong. i got mine back when it was just a resistor taped to instructions also. now they are putting the covers on them to make them look like you didnt pay $20 for a resistor.
yeah i got one and have had it in for a year with no ill effects...
YOU ARE WRONG! IT WONT WORK
it works in my 01 grand am gt...
YOU ARE WRONG!! IT WONT WORK!
got one in my V6 mustang and my 3.1L grand am and for 3 years and 30k later, no ill effects...YOU ARE WRONG! IT WONT WORK!
just an imitation of all the people who had/have them and the know it alls' replies
that is my opinion of why this thread FAILS. too many poeple who should be typing on youtube instead of a truck forum. because we all know youtube is full of people who just type away without having a clue about what they are talking about....HEY thats like 1/2 of the people posting on this thread!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
the people who are poking a little tasteful fun here and there...thats fine. but some of you guys are just being complete idiots over this.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM

I only said it isn't safe... but then again it's a free country and your motor

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I only said it isn't safe... but then again it's a free country and your motor
it might not be safe but so far the count is 4-0. 4 cars it has worked on and no posts about anyone's engine blowing up from it....

Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, installed and didn't blow anything up on 4 cars, what a statistical anomaly.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I never said it will blow up your motor. It definitely is not good for it though and I do not have to try one to tell you that. It has been explained multiple times on this forum, in this thread and many other threads about how they work, what they do and why it isn't a good idea. It is your truck and if you chose to do it then no one is going to stop you. The point of this forum however is to educate those that are willing to listen and potentially save them from possible damage. Are you absolutely going to have damage? Maybe not but the potential is there and it can be expensive.
You make the payments so you make the decision about whether you are willing to accept the risk. For the majority it is not worth the risk of damage to their vehicles by over-riding an important sensor with a resistor. There is a big difference between a proper tune and lying to the computer with a fixed value resistor.

Last edited by Norm; 02-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Norm
I never said it will blow up your motor. It definitely is not good for it though and I do not have to try one to tell you that. It has been explained multiple times on this forum, in this thread and many other threads about how they work, what they do and why it isn't a good idea. It is your truck and if you chose to do it then no one is going to stop you. The point of this forum however is to educate those that are willing to listen and potentially save them from possible damage. Are you absolutely going to have damage? Maybe not but the potential is there and it can be expensive.
You make the payments so you make the decision about whether you are willing to accept the risk. For the majority it is not worth the risk of damage to their vehicles by over-riding an important sensor with a resistor. There is a big difference between a proper tune and lying to the computer with a fixed value resistor.
lol, just a big lol.

I risk causing damage to the engine when i start it, I risk damage to the entire truck when I drive it, already got a good nick of paint missing right down to the metal on my hood cause of a rock.

I risk damage because of my gryphon and custom tunes, and with it before the custom tunes.

Really thinking backwards if your truck/car what ever was running lean this could help it run a little richer.
Do I know how it works? yes!
Do I think its dangerous? No!

I highly doubt that the PCM is going to advance the timing so far foward as to cause the engine to detonate on the 87 these people most likely run.

Now take it from me, I have no idea what the fuel maps look like, but I in no shape form or fashion think that this "chip" would cause the engines' PCM to go so out of whack as to cause any damage at all.

No I do not have a ASE, and no I do not have on on my current truck, I would not be against putting one on it, by I have the money to buy more effective means.

I did however have on in a 97 grand am that I assure you was GUTTED daily, rev limited N drops, on the floor starts, you name it.
That car had 110K on it when I got it, its still going 5+ years later with the same "chip" and is over 160K now, called to check.

as well as the 00 mustang.

if the true IAT is say 80F but the "chip" says no its 45F all that is going to happen is a *slight* increase in fuel/air mixture, I hight doubt that a tempature diff that marginal is going to cause "ZOMG WTF DETONATION ENGINE DAMAGE BLOWN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, the claims are outrageous, but its silly to think that it does nothing at all.

The engine is going to run richer, but the PCM no matter what the sensors say ( unless the PCM is faulty ) is never going to allow a super rich mixture period. at the extreme I would worry if the true temp is 110+F but the chip says 45F or so.

Even then, I doubt damage of any kind.

look it up, the air density is SO marginal unless we are talking temps of 120+ or very high areas.

so, in closing, no I am not ASE certified, but I have had first hand dealing with these.

Engines and PCM's are not some magical thing that the slightest change will cause them to break.

This is almost as bad as the people claiming that spraying your engine will destroy it, pretty sure the owners manual has a "how to" on washing the engine bay with a fair amount of pressure.

Last edited by Titan357; 02-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
it might not be safe but so far the count is 4-0. 4 cars it has worked on and no posts about anyone's engine blowing up from it....

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
LMFAO.

That right there is funny!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Titan357
lol, just a big lol.

I risk causing damage to the engine when i start it, I risk damage to the entire truck when I drive it, already got a good nick of pait missing right down to the metal on my hood cause of a rock.

I risk damage because of my gryphon and custom tunes, and with it before the custom tunes.

Really thinking backwards if your truck/car what ever was running lean this could help it run a little richer.
Do I know how it works? yes!
Do I think its dangrous? No!

I hhigly doubt that the PCM is going to advance the timing so far foward as to cause the engine to deotnate on the 87 these people most likely run.

Now take it from me, I have no idea what the fuel maps look like, but I in no shape form or fashion think that this "chip" would cause the engines' PCM to go so out of whack as to cause any damage at all.

No I do not have a ASE, and no I do not have on on my current truck, I would not be against putting one on it, byt I have the money to buy more effective means.

I did however have on in a 97 grand am that I assue you was GUTTED daily, rev limited N drops, on the floor starts, you name it.
That car had 110K on it when I got it, its still going 5+ years later with the same "chip" and is over 160K now, called to check.

as well as the 00 mustang.

if the true IAT is say 80F but the "chip" says no its 45F all that is going to happen is a *slight* increase in fuel/air mixture, I hight doubt that a tempature diff that marginal is going to cause "ZOMG WTF DETONATIOND ENGINE DAMAGE BLOWED IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, the claims are outragous, but its silly to think that it does nothing at all.

The engine is going to run richer, but the PCM no matter what the sensors say ( unless the PCM is faulty ) is never going to allow a super rich mixture periord. at the extreme I would worry if the true temp is 110+F but the chip says 45F or so.

Even then, I doubt damage of any kind.

look it up, the air densety is SO marginal unless we are talking temps of 120+ or very high areas.

so, in closing, no I am not ASE certfited, but I have had first hand dealing with these.

Engines and PCM's are not some magical thing that the sligest change will cause them to break.

This is almost as bad as the people claiming that spraying your engine will destroy it, pretty sure the owners manual has a "how to" on washing the engine bay with a fair amout of pressure.
Exactly, LOL,

Next time read the post you respond to. I never said anything about detonation or blown up engines. My post was pretty clear, to the point and the truth.
I wash my engine once a year but that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Last edited by Norm; 02-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
These trucks are totally on a different platform than a stang.
Once that is acknowledged then you will see the light.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 AM

it's not my problem, I know my truck is done with quality parts, I've done my part to warn people about the risk involved and if they choose to cheap out and buy a gimmick then have at it...

Quick Reply: woah. check this out