Gryphon users! Am I screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzstang
Cancer is a horrible thing. My father passed away two years ago from it. I understand what they are going through. I also understand that time does not stop while you are grieving it just feels like it does.

I don't really need to talk to him if you or Jack will. Can you just find out what happened and can it be fixed or is there an actual problem with my programmer. If the "fix" is weeks down the road I will ship it off to the dealer or at least get it towed back to my garage.

Thanks.
I've done what I could to contact Bill.
From the time that Corey's sister found out she had cancer to the time she passed away, it was only 5 weeks.
So the cancer took her really quick.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to update this thread in case someone else runs into this.

I have been talking back and forth with Bill at PHP and he made me a Recovery Tune to get the truck rolling. After a half hour I could not get it to load last night either. I hooked up my brothers truck battery via cables so it had all kinds of juice.

I haven't heard back from Bill yet but he did want me to send him the cable and the programmer so he can check them both out but he thinks it is a cable issue.

I am booked in Monday at the dealer to get a PCM reflash and the battery load tested. I don't think the battery is an issue since I tried to load the Recovery Tune with my brothers truck hooked to mine. He has 2 newer batteries in his truck and it still did not work but what the heck it is there so I will cover all my bases.

I am guessing it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I see my programmer again. I will post up what Bill finds when I get it back.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and helping me get in touch with Bill.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I just got a call from the dealer and I remember now why I don't like taking anything to a dealer ever.

He happily tells me they reflashed my PCM, reset the PATS Keys and load tested my battery all for $380.00 bucks and some change.

I was under the impression that all I needed was the PCM reflashed for 1 hour labor at $134.00. Yes $134.00/hour, welcome to Canada. The battery test was on me and I expected that charge of $59.99. The battery tested all good by the way. So the less than $200 bucks with tax I expected to pay became almost double. I am guessing they charged another hour to reset the PATS.

I really hope that Bill has some definite reason that this all happened, like the cable he thinks it is, or I really don't want to risk using the programmer again. I have only had this thing since May/09 and driven my truck less than 1000 miles and have to pay this out of my own pocket. Yes it drives so much nicer with the programmer and tunes but I did not expect to give up reliability and almost the cost of the programmer again as a result.

Last edited by grizzstang; 02-02-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
glc
Received 767 Likes on 709 Posts
60 bucks to load test a battery? Autozone does that free.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
They claim they check the charging system as well for that price.

Every time I go to the dealer I leave feeling like I have been totally screwed.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That is ridiculous, you can buy a new battery for $80.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
That is ridiculous, you can buy a new battery for $80.
Not in Calgary you can't. I bought my battery through my sister who works at an auto parts store for cost plus 10% and I paid around $130 for it. Granted it is a higher end battery but you can expect to pay at least $100 for a very low end one around here.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzstang
Not in Calgary you can't. I bought my battery through my sister who works at an auto parts store for cost plus 10% and I paid around $130 for it. Granted it is a higher end battery but you can expect to pay at least $100 for a very low end one around here.
$130 is that in loonies, do they still call the one dollar piece a loony?, i assume it's in Canadian or you guys have some outrageous battery tax.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
glc
Received 767 Likes on 709 Posts
Autozone checks the charging system free too.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Canadian dollars are very close to US dollars right now, so that was some serious change. I'm really sorry Bill could not get you rolling again grizzstang, I'd hoped for a better outcome.

- Jack

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Part of Canada's high prices are their sales tax but that depends in what area you are in.
I think the sales tax is around 12% in some areas.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Part of Canada's high prices are their sales tax but that depends in what area you are in.
I think the sales tax is around 12% in some areas.
14% here. And add to that, the the inexplicable markup on many items versus the States.

Example - Schumacher motorcycle battery tender: ~$19 USD, ~$45 CDN - same store chain....

Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Canadian dollars are very close to US dollars right now, so that was some serious change. I'm really sorry Bill could not get you rolling again grizzstang, I'd hoped for a better outcome.

- Jack
Me too but even if he had I still would have to go to the dealer to get the PATS system reactivated, as Bill's recovery tune would turn it off making my truck easier to steal, and the PCM reflashed back to stock. So I only would have saved the cost of the tow to get it there which was cheap compared to the rest.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I just mailed the programmer and cable today. It should be in Bills hands by the end of next week.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Well my programmer has been MIA for month as of tomorrow. It should have been at PHP for at least 3 weeks but I can't confirm that as I have not been able to get a hold of anyone. I tried calling a few times and have sent a PM to Cory on the PHP forum. I know Bill is out of town this week but I assume they are still open for business. Hopefully I can get in touch with them soon.

Quick Reply: Gryphon users! Am I screwed!