Gryphon "Custom" tune vs dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gryphon "Custom" tune vs dyno tune

How do these "Custom" tunes from PHP, Troyer, etc... compare to actually going out and having your rig dyno tuned? I would think you could only ballpark the timing/fuel delivery without actually having a vehicle on the dyno. Am I correct here?

One more question -- If you have the Gryphon, for example, and go out and get a dyno tune, is there a way to switch between them? ie, can you save off the dyno tune to the gryphon, but still run the other tunes on the Gryphon and switch between them? Would you have to somehow back up the dyno tune, send to PHP and reload it back onto the gryphon or can you just save off the dyno tune to the PC and load it back into the gryphon without contacting PHP?

Say, you had an 87 economy, 87 towing, 93 performance in your gryphon...then went out and got a dyno tune... how would you replace the 93 performance with the dyno tune?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd review the posts on PHP's forums. http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/

PHP also offers dyno tuning. http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ve_Tuning.html

Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
A dyno tune will always be better if only in the sense that you have assurance that it is "right on". Yes, most likely, the program writer left a little on the table. For most of us it is not an option though as dynos and the one writing the tune is not nearby. For instance, the only one that can write a dyno tune or any tune for that matter, for the Gryphon is Bill at PHP. With the Xcal3 and all other SCT products you do have lots of people tuning with them.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
A dyno tune will always be better if only in the sense that you have assurance that it is "right on". Yes, most likely, the program writer left a little on the table. For most of us it is not an option though as dynos and the one writing the tune is not nearby. For instance, the only one that can write a dyno tune or any tune for that matter, for the Gryphon is Bill at PHP. With the Xcal3 and all other SCT products you do have lots of people tuning with them.
And I'm going to add to Jim's excellent post: The fact a tuner has access to a dyno does not automatically make him an "expert" in tuning. I strongly suspect a dyno tune could be written that would drastically reduce the life of your ride. Or, if the tuner went the other way, it could still leave a lot on the table.

To me, the important thing is the reputation of the tuner. And, among the good ones, I doubt you're going to see more than just a few HP difference between the tunes, no matter how they're created. You're NOT going to be able to "feel" those few HP.

- Jack

Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
And I'm going to add to Jim's excellent post: The fact a tuner has access to a dyno does not automatically make him an "expert" in tuning. I strongly suspect a dyno tune could be written that would drastically reduce the life of your ride. Or, if the tuner went the other way, it could still leave a lot on the table.
I couldn't agree any more.. There are a lot of hacks out there in the tuning industry, just like any other industry. In the end it's not worth blowing up a $30,000 truck over a couple hundred dollar programmer. The reputable tuners can tune these trucks pretty spot on with a mail order custom tune so you don't have to worry unless you have an out of the ordinary set-up. Even than you can find a reputable tuner who is willing to do remote tuning and you'll end up with a tune that is just as good as a dyno tune!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM
my mail order tunes were spot on for my 04 5.4 van

Quick Reply: Gryphon "Custom" tune vs dyno tune