ECM internal ROM read Error

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ECM internal ROM read Error

Hello everyone,

I'm having one strange problem with my truck, the Problem is as follows:

I have a stock 07 5.4 F150 XL with only VMP tune, I had the Xcal3 from VMP since Sept 2009 and was very very happy with it, Few weeks ago when it was time to take the track to dealer for general Check-up & service, I, before doing so, returned to the stock Tune and it was accomplished peacefully, But the problem was as soon as I started the truck with the stock tune, an "Engine-Check" lamp poped up and stayed there, when I used the Xcal 3 to read the DTC, it mentioned "Internal engine control module (ECM) ROM read error", so I cleared it using the XCal 3, but after starting the Engine again the "Engine-Check" lamp poped up, so I drove it normally & took it to dealer and they had no clue what's wrong, they mentioned that maybe someone was trying to program the truck so I said "No idea" so they ended up resting the ECM...

Now am running the stock tune, and man the truck is so heavy! I e-mailed Justin at VMP regarding this Issue and he replied " that’s a very odd error that I have never seen an sct tuner cause "

So do guys/girls know what's the reason of that? I'm hesitated to re-tune it now because maybe later on (when I will be taking it back to the dealer) it would happen again and the dealer are trying their best to remove the warranty...

Any Input?

Thanks Everyone!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just a question, where are you and the truck living? In Dubai?

There are very few things that should cause the kind of error you describe, except possibly some kind of "programming" error caused by low or very hot temperatures and/or low battery voltage. I don't think Dubai has the temperature extremes, which is why I asked.

Usually though, a programming error will simply "kill" the truck and it won't start at all.

If the dealer reflashed the PCM, and it sounds like he might have, then your programmer will not be able to reload any of your custom tunes (unless the dealer restored the firmware to its original coding). That condition would be obvious to you if you tried to program it again - the process would simply not work and Justin would have to rewrite your tunes.

I'd have the battery load tested though. You want to eliminate it as the possible source of the problem.

- Jack

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just a question, where are you and the truck living? In Dubai?

There are very few things that should cause the kind of error you describe, except possibly some kind of "programming" error caused by low or very hot temperatures and/or low battery voltage. I don't think Dubai has the temperature extremes, which is why I asked.

Usually though, a programming error will simply "kill" the truck and it won't start at all.

If the dealer reflashed the PCM, and it sounds like he might have, then your programmer will not be able to reload any of your custom tunes (unless the dealer restored the firmware to its original coding). That condition would be obvious to you if you tried to program it again - the process would simply not work and Justin would have to rewrite your tunes.

I'd have the battery load tested though. You want to eliminate it as the possible source of the problem.

- Jack
Thanks for the Input!

Yes, I live in Dubai along with my Truck (Dubai citizen), Our weather is Usually Hot, but last Year and this Year it's getting colder, so it's 80% not from the weather, but as for the Battery, well my Battery is running great, but I guess I will check it, Also since I never tried to re-program the truck, I will give it a try a see...

Thanks for the Help!

Quick Reply: ECM internal ROM read Error