Shout out to Troyer Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spike747
I can't figure out for the life of me how they are still in business. Absolutely worst customer service I've ever experienced. It's a total crime that that place continuous to get any business from people on this forum.
Well, I've read enough just here to know they're NOT anybody I'll be dealing with, that's for sure Word of mouth referrals can be the best or worst form of advertising .......... I'll be shoppin' elsewhere

Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by spike747
I can't figure out for the life of me how they are still in business. Absolutely worst customer service I've ever experienced. It's a total crime that that place continuous to get any business from people on this forum.
I haven't had any issues with his customer service, in fact, I was very pleased with the way they conducted themselves. The only gripe I have is that it is sometime hard to actually talk to Mike himself. I understand he's pretty busy running a business and all, but if you really want to talk to him, he'll usually find the time. He hasn't been on the forums in a while though. I'm guessing because of comments like yours... I know if I was as busy as they are, I wouldn't spend the time "arguing" with people on the internet when there are plenty of paying customers waiting for my products.

Originally Posted by Klitch
... never have gotten him to do any fine tuning, now he wants more money to make it right like should've been done before
What do you mean by that? What exactly does he want more money for? Did you wait longer than the 60-90 day window to datalog (it's in the paperwork you fill out when ordering tunes. Something like "Please datalog and send the information to us in 90 days and we will fine tune your tunes at no additional cost. Any changes outside of this 90 window will require additional charges")?

Interesting how different people have different experiences.

I ordered tunes from Troyer back in 2006. I received my tunes in about 6 weeks, and when I ran my truck on a dyno later that month, we discovered I was running extremely rich at WOT, richer than 10:1. I called Troyer Performance and told them my issue, and I also downloaded and saved all the data from my dyno pulls. I was told to send them that info and Mike would take a look.

Mike tried calling me, and he also contacted me here on the forums. We ended up talking several times on the phone, each time for at least an hour (the man can talk!).

I was able to get my problem solved, and it didn't cost me any extra (I did pay for local dyno time, if you know where to get some free dyno pulls, let me know).

Here's my thread detailing my experiences. https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...-3-25-af1.html

Granted this was over 3 years ago, but if I ever decide to supercharge my truck, I'll be taking it to Troyers shop, no question about it.

Find me one person who is unhappy with the results they got from Troyer. If you search the forums you'll find 2 types of Troyer threads. The first type is the "Holy Crap! My truck kicks *** now!", and the second type is "I ordered XXX long ago, where the hell are my tunes!?!" Most people today are just too impatient to wait (damn you high speed internet, cell phones, wi-fi, etc, etc). I will agree that 10 months is far to long to wait, however at this point, it's up to that customer to decide how to proceed. Either cancel their order, or call Mike repeatedly until the problem is resolved, afterall, they squeaky wheel gets the grease. Personally, I'd call the shop.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 01-03-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Granted this was over 3 years ago.
I think that is the main difference. If you go back and search the forums, you will see fast turn around times for most people and their tunes. Read about troyer's tune+intake sale, etc... But I do believe that in the past 3 years, he has either gotten A LOT more business, or lost some workers. So now the wait time is quite a bit longer, and getting ahold of him isn't as easy. Heck, when I joined the forum, all you ever really heard in the tuner section was Troyer.

Times have changed though, and seems people are fed up of having to wait so long, so now there is a new (PHP) company that has taken over on the forum. But, if you go back and read post again, you will see the same thing is starting to happen with them. In the beginning, turn around times was FAST, and people where going crazy with the orders. Most the threads in the tuner section have gryphon or PHP mention in them at least once. But with popularity comes business. And now, their turn around times are also starting to lag. Trying to get ahold of them over the phone is nearly impossible, and reaching them through the internet isn't easy either.

It's a vicious cycle here. Word of mouth carries a long way, and PHP is reeping the benefits right now. But it is only a matter of time until a new tuner pops up, and threads about 3-4 week turn around times gets out. And slowly people will start to try them out. Then it will start again. All you can really do is grab some and enjoy some of the stuff people post in the tuner section.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
ditto that jnc955

Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
That is absolutely rediculous

Originally Posted by StdCabFX4
Still waiting on mine. Going on 10 months and over 45,000 miles since I ordered.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 PM
It all boils down to the fact if you want to build a good business, maintain that business and have it grow , you MUST be " customer oriented " , especially in today's business / economical climate, excuses are like butt holes , everybody has one !! ...just my 2 cents

Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4

What do you mean by that? What exactly does he want more money for? Did you wait longer than the 60-90 day window to datalog (it's in the paperwork you fill out when ordering tunes. Something like "Please datalog and send the information to us in 90 days and we will fine tune your tunes at no additional cost. Any changes outside of this 90 window will require additional charges")?

- NCSU
I may be the reason for that.
If you may remember, I got my truck running and lost the transmission. he was made well aware of that and the whole saga going with it. not my fault, not his, just merely a difficult and annoying situation i found myself in.
my tranny never made it to that 60 day mark, i think it lasted a month at most and that whole time between him and i was spent bickering for lack of a better description.

Just disappointed cause I feel like I was hosed by the whole situation. Doesn't help matters when the guy sat down and blamed me for the richness issue claiming it was my fault, and insulting me to boot.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by One Shot Luni
Is it same quality or less/worse?

From those last few posts I am thinking not to order from troyer.
its not like troyers tunes are pushing out crazy amounts of power. a programmer is a programmer, as long as a proper tuner does it. if anything my experience was way better! the guy was there checking out my mods firsthand and i was next to him telling him everything i wanted my truck to do. and included with my $400 purchase is free tunes for life. i think troyer charges $45 a tune or something. he even had some not-so-nice things to say about troyers business i would HIGHLY recommend finding a local tuner before you order online.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
HIGHLY recommend?lol i saw your jerry rigged pa install, you shouldnt be giving advice on anything

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a Troyer written tuner then call them and make an appointment and drive to their damn shop in Virginia. There will then be no wait and if you prefer you can have your tunes written and adjusted while your truck is on the dyno there. They can't please everyone, and neither can any other tuner.
Ir YOUR tuner had some not so nice things to say about Mike Troyers abilities, then maybe he ISN'T one of the many that call Mike daily to get direction on the tuning format for the F150. I am witness to the hoards of phone calls, and conversations he has had from many tuners, including a very well known national company that some of the newer tuners here have spun off from,asking for his advise and input on the F150 format.
I am quite frankly getting sick and tired of the crying and bickering that goes on here over this topic. If you don't like the guy and his business ethics, TAKE YOUR MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE....
Klitch I remember your issues quite well when I was working at Troyers shop and if your going to come here and cry foul, then maybe you should be honest with the people here. It wasn't his tuning issue that caused your problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I must be missing something.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Yeah, this thread is heading in a bad direction.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by One Shot Luni
I must be missing something.
About 3 years of he said, she said. And, "My tuner is better then yours."

Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Damn, I didn't mean to start a ruckus...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Klitch I remember your issues quite well when I was working at Troyers shop and if your going to come here and cry foul, then maybe you should be honest with the people here. It wasn't his tuning issue that caused your problems.
Originally Posted by Klitch
If you may remember, I got my truck running and lost the transmission. he was made well aware of that and the whole saga going with it. not my fault, not his, just merely a difficult and annoying situation i found myself in.
my tranny never made it to that 60 day mark, i think it lasted a month at most and that whole time between him and i was spent bickering for lack of a better description.

Just disappointed cause I feel like I was hosed by the whole situation. Doesn't help matters when the guy sat down and blamed me for the richness issue claiming it was my fault, and insulting me to boot.
Sorry sir, I wasn't intending to stub toes, just voice an experience from my point of view. The whole situation, I'm sure you would agree, could have gone much smoother and better. After I got it to run without pouring fuel in it (something to do with the maf not liking the cone filter) we had become sour with eachother. I openly said that, not sure if you picked up on that, I didnt mention the exact time when we became sour with eachother.

Since you decided to openly jump up at me a little excited, when was the last time you seen a particular air filter assembly cause high maf counts at idle? Come on man.

Do I need to tell everyone we bickered and accused the other of not doing something right? I dont feel I should say that and have that come back as i'm talking trash.

So again, I said we disagreed on the issues, and when I resolved the major discrepancy he was unwilling to deal with me and to be fair I wasn't pleased either. whats wrong with saying that, i dont know... I wasn't saying it was his tuning, I was however saying I was displeased, considering the situations I went through that he was unwilling to work with me, or even do the "final" tuning after the truck's trans was replaced... I did pay my $475 or whatever it came to, and not receive a fine tune, can you blame me for feeling miffed? honestly?:o

Quick Reply: Shout out to Troyer Performance